Snowmass, CO, Mar. 28, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
It was clear we needed a mostly cruiser day for our last day of the road trip and 8th consecutive, and Snowmass is ideal for that.

We started with Whispering Jesse and Mick’s Gully on the Big Burn. Though it was a warmer day with high temps in the 30’s, there was often wind on chair rides, which also deposited some loose snow on those Big Burn groomers..

After those 2 warmups I executed one of my poorest navigation jobs ever. We rode the Cirque poma in intense crosswind.
IMG_5765.JPG

Note sign saying the Cirque is closed. I thought that meant one run up there but in reality it was all the runs dropping in from the top of the poma. I expected to being skiing deep windsift, but the reality was that the Cirque runs were wind loaded and would need to be controlled on a calmer day to be safe for skiing.

So, in futile search for an open gate we slogged for 10 minutes in windblown flats, finally getting onto High Pass, which leads to Hanging Valley. Fortunately there was a sign which Liz followed to The Edge and Upper Green Cabin.

Meanwhile I persisted, dropping into West 1, view down from there:
IMG_5766.JPG

At tree line I should have traversed hard right to open lower pitches like Wall or Ladder. But instead I drifted left and had confined powder/bump lines through the trees, likely ending the lower numbered Glade runs, which were mostly moguls.

View up to West 1, center left:
IMG_5771.JPG

The snow in West 1 was wind affected. Roberto’s at looker’s right would have been better based upon a few people I saw skiing there.

I was completely beat when I got out of there. The rest of my day needed to be all groomers, starting with the mellow ones in Elk Camp.
IMG_5774.JPG

This was another case where there were lots of people around the chair and it restaurant but on the mountain very well dispersed. Liz joined me for two more Elk Camp runs.

Next we skied the long Creekside run to Two Creeks. This had spring conditions top to bottom with east exposure. I would say about half of Snowmass’ terrain transitioned to spring conditions Thursday, but of course on the initial day there is no morning hardpack.

We rode the Alpine Springs lift next and took a lap there on the nearly deserted Log Deck and Tom’s Trace runs.
IMG_5775.JPG

We skied Coffee Pot to the Coney Glade lift on the way to Sam’s Knob. View of Big Burn from top of Coney Glade:
IMG_5777.JPG

From Sam’s we noticed that Slot was groomed for its full 2,400 vertical down to Campground, so we skied that.
IMG_5778.JPG

There is a dog sledding operation near the bottom of Campground, and sometimes skiers must watch for them. I recall seeing sled dogs at the top of Crans Montana in January.

We got back to the top of Sam’s Knob just after 3PM and skied Banzai Ridge and the Coney Glade terrain park to finish the day with 23,900 vertical.

Last edited:
I found the terrain in the cirque and hanging valley to be some of the best ive skied all year. This may be my favorite place at the moment...its certainly big enough.

I found the terrain in the cirque and hanging valley to be some of the best ive skied all year.
Not my view. Both have long and sometimes tedious runouts, admittedly some of it my fault with bad navigation Thursday. The awkward logistics are good for preserving powder, so I'm sure kingslug took advantage of that during the past week. But on a really big powder day like Monday I'll take the direct fall line skiing we had Monday at Beaver Creek. Aspen Highlands has that too, but you better bring your A-Game for Deep Temerity, relentlessly steep.

The virtue of all the Aspen areas is that liftlines are rare and they are almost immune to severe crowd issues. But even within the Aspen complex, Highlands is remarkably quiet. People have inertia and tend to ski where their lodging base is. But Liz and I are variety junkies and it would never occur to us to spend a week in Aspen/Snowmass and not ski all 3 of the major mountains.

I knew before we started Thursday that my legs had limited life from being worked hard over the previous week. So Snowmass overall was the ideal place for our final day. Kingslug might have found my 90% groomer day a bit unexciting.

Last edited:
dropping into West 1
I typically go all the way to Headwall for the first pitch (assuming good snow coverage). Then follow that up with Wall 1/2/Strawberry patch areas by taking the hard right.

to Two Creeks
A lift I've never ridden. I've come close to doing the short hike to Longshot and the glades up top of Elk Camp lift that give long vert runs to the bottom but never quite pull the trigger...

As to crowds, way lower than front range areas, but Snowmass has several lifts that get some level of wait (elk camp, big burn, alpine springs, village, etc...). But at Highlands, the only lines I've seen are for Cloud Nine lift and for food mid-mtn.

I really liked the vastness of cirque and hanging valley...
Skied headwall several times. Exiting both left and right areas...rock garden was tricky.
AMF area was cool...skied the first chute...ptarmigian?..then skied it again crossing under amf.
Hanging valley through the trees was cool.
Today i discovered gowdy chute..holy shit..was too tired to drop into that thing..so backed out and hit kt gully.
20240330_130739.jpg
20240330_130734.jpg
20240330_130732.jpg
20240330_113246.jpg
20240326_132937.jpg
20240326_132852.jpg
20240326_124847.jpg

Back