Film cameras vs. digital

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Re: Cascades QC : January 28, 2012 – skiing on broken dishes

Postby Skiace » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Patrick wrote:The problem is that I'm not printing the digital pics that I've been accumulating since 2005. I like physical pictures like Music CD or vinyl. Books, Magazines. etc.
Why not? It's even easier to print digital pics than film; you can just email/upload the files to your local store, and pick them up when they're ready. It sounds like you aren't printing them because you aren't in the habit of it, like you are with film. This is not a fault of the medium.

Patrick wrote:mind you, my physical pics are well organized, they occupy more than one bookcase.
It is easier to maintain a robust organizational system with digital files than physical pictures. In any number of popular picture-organizing programs, you can have every image tagged with date, location, subject, people, etc to make them easy to find later. This doesn't even have to be done to each individual picture; you can tag them in batches as you dump them onto the computer. You can't do this with physical pictures, unless you are going through the effort to maintain a card-catalog system or something else equally absurd.

edit: And to echo what everyone's been saying already about backups and redundancy, the reliability of a good cloud service can not be overstated. You can upload your data to a cloud service, and it will be stored on servers that are maintained 24/7 by professionals, which have their own redundancy. These are businesses which rely on guaranteeing the integrity of their customers' data.
Skiace

Re: Film cameras vs. digital

Postby Patrick » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm not ignoring the responses, I've been busy with other ski and/or computer stuff.

I'll respond later to many of the comments.

I already have a cloud service with my pictures as I've been slowly digitalizing a mountain of albums dating all the way back to the 1940s.

I need to go tune some skis for tomorrow.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby mvarley84 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 pm

I wont use anything film anymore...digital allows me to preview my pics/vids, and if they look horrible than I just delete and try again. With film cameras, it was always a nervous waiting game as to whether a certain picture turned out or not.
mvarley84

Postby Marc_C » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Since we're discussing cameras...

-marc
Marc_C

Postby Marc_C » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Kodak announced today that it has decided to discontinue its color reversal (AKA slide) films due to a steady decrease in sales and usage. The films discontinued are Ektachrome E100G/E100VS and Elite Chrome Extra Color 100.

On a related note, an October 2011 post at photography blog PetaPixel says:
Over the past year, major movie camera manufacturers ARRI, Panavision and Aaton have all quietly stopped manufacturing film cameras — a tough blow to film, and grim news for film photographers.

More here: http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/film-fading-to-black
-marc
Marc_C

Previous

Return to General Discussion