Dick Dorworth

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Along with Karl Weatherly and me, Dick Dorworth was invited to White Grizzly March 5-8. He lives near Karl around Sun Valley and writes after an adventurous ski and climbing career. In 1963 Dick set a world speed ski record of 106mph at Portillo. After retiring from speed skiing in 1965 he taught skiing at Tahoe for awhile. In the spring of 1968 he was introduced to rock climbing and trained that summer in Yosemite. In October he went to Patagonia with Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkins to make the 3rd ever ascent of Fitzroy. I had lots of pictures from my November trip, so Dick showed me his route on one of my pics.
IMGP0892dorworth.jpg

The small circles show the two camps. On the first attempt they were stuck in the upper camp by weather and had to retreat after 15 days there. A few weeks later they went up there again. This time they got a window of weather, started up the 3,000 vertical granite face in the pic at 2AM, summiting, then returning to camp at 10AM the next morning. Their road trip from California and the Fitzroy ascent are documented in the film Mountain of Storms: http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enGB/produc ... 1005-0-000

Dick telling his Fitzroy story on one of the cat rides.
catski120376.jpg

No surprise Dick is still skiing strong at age 73:
IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

Back