Dry and Partially Dry Counties

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Dry and Partially Dry Counties

Postby Marc_C » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:59 pm

There's been angst in some FTO threads about the misconception of the supposed difficulty in getting a drink in Utah. Just came across this infographic - here are the dry and partially dry counties in the US:

Now what's that someone was saying about Utah being dry?
-marc
Marc_C

Re: Dry and Partially Dry Counties

Postby rogerk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:47 pm

What's up with Georgia?
rogerk

Postby Marc_C » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:05 pm

A data free zone?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby EMSC » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:27 am

Georgia would look like Alabama next door if they had the data.

So what exactly qualifies as "some alcohol controls"? There are definitely "some" controls in pretty much every state I've ever been to...
EMSC

Postby Marc_C » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

EMSC wrote:So what exactly qualifies as "some alcohol controls"? There are definitely "some" controls in pretty much every state I've ever been to...

There are controls in every state - one of the provisions of the 21st amendment that repealed prohibition was that states would set their own alcohol sales and consumption laws. In the infographic, what they mean by "some alcohol controls" are over and above the usual hours/days legal for sales, on vs off premise consumption, minimum distance of liquor stores from schools, etc. For example, a lot of the counties in Texas require membership in a private club in order to purchase alcohol for on-premise consumption. Gee, just like Utah *used* to be.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby tcope » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Other states have dry counties and Utah... really not? If only skiers knew this. :-?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
tcope

Postby rfarren » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:36 am

tcope wrote:Other states have dry counties and Utah... really not? If only skiers knew this. :-?

Why would you want other skiers to know that? I think the misconception about Utah is great, it keeps Colorado filled, and more powder lines open.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:59 pm

tcope wrote:Other states have dry counties and Utah... really not? If only skiers knew this. :-?

Speaking of tcope, here's something that you don't see every day :roll: :

tcope.jpg
tcope, right, and his brother at Solitude today

What's that, tcope, your fifth day skiing since moving to Utah six years ago? You're averaging less than one day a season! :lol:

(P.S. to rfarren: You apparently missed his sarcasm. Yeah, I know...I don't understand his "wit" either.)

Admin
Site Admin

Postby tcope » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:55 pm

This goes back several years... the local skiers stating that ski visitors stay away as they think Utah is dry. How many dry states are there? Why would anyone think this? If someone does, should they be allowed outside?

Yes, Utah has/had odd liquor laws... but many states do. Several states have state liquor stores, this is not unique to Utah. Heck, some states don't sell alcohol on Sunday (not true in Utah)... some states have dry counties (not true in Utah). If someone is not going to some of the best snow in the US because the beer is 3.2 by volume (really about the same) then perhaps they might want to go some place else. If you want a LOT of great hills all within 40 mins of each other and some of the nicest people you will ever meet, than perhaps you might want to visit Utah.

Setting all of my babble aside, I just have to question anyone who thinks Utah is dry.

tcope

Return to General Discussion