Where should I live?? SLC, AK, or LA

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Re: Where should I live?? SLC, AK, or LA

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 am

jojo_obrien wrote:well........its looking like SLC.... l

Congrats! Welcome to the neighborhood. You won't be disappointed.

jojo_obrien wrote: drove up close to where you live -- killer location you have

You should've called for a cold one on the deck. Let's get together for a beer to give you a proper welcoming. Just let me know. My wife's been out of town for a few weeks so I'm bored out of my mind and have plenty of free time on my hands right now. I'm also contemplating taking the dog for a hike up in Millcreek Canyon on Saturday if you want to tag along.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jojo_obrien » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:33 am

Admin -- btw.. Tony did tell me your real name lol :)

Would love to meet up and to pick your brain on skiing and non-relating ski activities and life in SLC...beer, deck.........two of the greatest apres ski phrases ever stated :-)

Hitting up Red Butte tonight for a killer concert ....then off to Park City for the Deer Valley Symphony/Arturo Sandoval tomorrow........

You were right ...summer is quite good...looking forward to picking up a kayak ....(in between golf rounds and hiking of course)....

Had to choose between setting up the digs in Sugarhouse vs. Holladay/Murray border ....although loving the size of the house in Holladay , Sugarhouse has great freeway access....better for the 20's - 30's aged demographic as you've stated previously.... :wink:
jojo_obrien

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 am

jojo_obrien wrote:Admin -- btw.. Tony did tell me your real name lol :)

Well it's not like it's any great secret!
:wink:
The only reason I'm on here as "Admin" is that the precursor of the software that powers this board required that to be the username of the administrator account. It sort of stuck.

jojo_obrien wrote:Would love to meet up and to pick your brain on skiing and non-relating ski activities and life in SLC...beer, deck.........two of the greatest apres ski phrases ever stated :-)

Well, your schedule certainly sounds busier than mine so I'll let you pick the day and time. I'll PM you my cell number.

jojo_obrien wrote:You were right ...summer is quite good...looking forward to picking up a kayak ....(in between golf rounds and hiking of course)....

Note that I never said anything about flog (we're in polite company so I'll spell that four-letter obscenity backwards).

jojo_obrien wrote:Had to choose between setting up the digs in Sugarhouse vs. Holladay/Murray border ....although loving the size of the house in Holladay , Sugarhouse has great freeway access....better for the 20's - 30's aged demographic as you've stated previously.... :wink:

Sugar House is also a substantially easier commute to the refineries than Holladay/Murray, especially if you're planning on using I-15 to work your way North. That stretch of I-15 from I-215 to 3300 S/I-80 is one of our most congested, and you're traveling in the same direction as the bulk of the traffic both morning and evening until you get North of downtown.

From Sugar House you can head west on 80 at freeway speed, stay on the I-15 collector ramp northbound past 2100 S and 1300 S, and then join the main flow of 15 for just a short distance of a half mile or so until it clears out past 600 S (i.e. follow the signs at the end of I-80 for 2100 S/1300 S instead of the signs for northbound I-15, and then merge left onto I-15 about a half mile later - the signs on I-80 don't indicate that you can do that, but you can, and it avoids the occasional backup of I-15 traffic at the interchange). While that stretch from 1300 S to 600 S only backs up occasionally that would be your only potential choke point using this route, and when it does you could instead continue west on the 2100 S Freeway (UT-201) for a mile or so to I-215, and then use that to head north to the refinery area. That would be an ideal escape valve at normal speeds the whole way and it's only a half mile or so longer.

I am of course assuming that's where you're working because you mentioned Woods Cross earlier.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jojo_obrien » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Admin -- brilliant....you really know the area well.

And you hit the nail on the head........Sugarhouse has incredible access to I80 to the N15 to Center Street in NSLC. I'm going to be quite content w/ the commute....it certainly beats the hair-pulling-out commutes of Los Angeles and it actually might be only incrementally worse than my commute in Anchorage....national average is what, 25 minutes these days? I'll gladly settle for 15. Thanks for the 411 on the choke points....much appreciated. I must say...I do like the sound of your location. When I'd come up here to ski I would stay in Cottonwood Heights but I realize now that it's further away from the "action." And...I do like action \:D/

I actually don't want to advertise SLC much more publically.....in surf culture...I've already gone too far mentioning one good thing....surprised noone from FTI has located my 4runner w/ Cali license plates and slashed my tires yet as I've highlighted the "positives" of SLC....

Speaking of refineries...hit up one of the coolest bars I have been to in the USA yesterday -- "The Garage on Beck" -- I think I found my apres-ski destination for trips up to Ogden.....and definitely post work :-D
jojo_obrien

Postby Marc_C » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 pm

jojo_obrien wrote:I actually don't want to advertise SLC much more publically.....in surf culture...I've already gone too far mentioning one good thing....surprised noone from FTI has located my 4runner w/ Cali license plates and slashed my tires yet as I've highlighted the "positives" of SLC....

It's not the big deal you think it is. Many are fearful of Utah, and there are far more powerful and entrenched stereotypes than what you mentioned. Much to learn have you young padwan.
-marc
Marc_C

Previous

Return to General Discussion