13-14 Trips or Passes - Who's Locked Themselves In

EMSC

Despite all the 'warnings' to go where the snow is good when it's good, we all seem to lock ourselves into various trips and ski passes due to defined vacation periods for kids, money, etc... So who has locked themselves in already for 13-14?

Myself:
*Locked into a bunch of days at Eldora via season pass(es).
*Also the annual guys trip that I frequently do is coming my way to stay in Frisco for more Colorado skiing, with only Abasin as a defined day (I already bought a lot of transferable 4packs for the group). That 'trip' will be in late February.
*We were looking at a family trip to Whistler (relatives in Seattle), but that seems to have been deferred to maybe next season already. That's about it with a soon to be 4 year old in tow.

Not a stellar line up for sure (compared to say, 10 days in Europe like a few years ago), but hopefully the little guy will get the hang of it and allow all of our ski lives to open up going forward.

Anyone else? Ironically, Tony will probably have the longest list of locked in dates. Others? Will Admin even bother to leave Utah this year? Patrick ski outside of the NE? Rob to even get on snow this year? etc...

Defined trips are all mid-to-late season.

Mustang Snowcat is Feb. 22-24. I have no idea yet how long I'll be in B.C., where else I'll go or even which gateway airport I'll use. No 4-5 week road marathon expected this season. Mustang's demand is now at the level that I'm locked into those dates indefinitely. Actually it's a fairly good time to be in remote areas when it's peak season in the Alps and many places in the US.

Iron Blosam week is March 8-15. I'm a secondary host/organizer of an EpicSki Gathering at Mammoth March 24-26. There's a follow-up at Squaw/Alpine the next 2 days I'm also likely to attend.

I will return to Points North in Alaska April 15-20, with a couple of extra days around Anchorage/Alyeska before.

I might consider another Euro trip in late January like last year, but I've made no plans. There's another EpicSki Gathering in Utah Feb. 2-7 and NASJA West is in Park City the following week. I can make late decisions on both of those.

With my Mammoth Premier MVP and Liz' Mountain Collective there are incentives to consider extra road trips to Squaw/Alpine and/or AltaBird and to consider going to Whistler when I'm in B.C.

EMSC":3j3cswbt said:
Patrick ski outside of the NE?
Last season had a few lows : 47 days (2nd lowest since 2004-05), all locals except 15 days (3 Townships, 2 VT, 2 WV, 3 PNW).

Only 2 days in the NE US, equally the record low of 2 in the fracture injury reduced seasons of 1982-83 & 1986-87 (10 and 20 days respectively).

I actually don't know what to expect this season? So many factors still in play. For the 1st time since 2009-10, no one is in a ski program. No season pass taken yet, but Morgane wants to coach. The major factor is related where my regular paycheck will come from?

I have the potential of skiing more than ever, but also many of them local. I would like to go out West, but some many factors still at play.

Stay tuned.

12/24-1/12 Arrive in SLC
25 Brighton
26 Soli
27 Snowbasin
28-1/8 JH, Big Sky, GT, Bridger. And 1 day West Yellowstone
9-11 Snowbasin and Snowbird

Only commitment so far airfare.

Best!

For the last 4 years, I've opted to dump all my free cash flow into my flatland house. The year before that, I was unemployed. My last ski trip was Chile 5 years ago when I was first unemployed. With a condo a mile from the lifts, a paid parking spot on weekends, and a season pass, I'm not suffering but I haven't checked a ski bag into an airplane in a long time.

I don't see that changing for a couple more years. I have other priorities. If the company that owns Killington offered a multi resort pass, I'd be more likely to burn the frequent flyer miles and do some cheap trips.

I fly out to Bozeman on March 18th and fly home on April 21st.

I'll buy my season pass on March 1st 2014 which will be good til the end of the season and all 2014-2015 at Discovery and stay in Philipsburg at least until closing day on April 6th.

From April 14th til 18th I will ski for free at Big Sky, probably basing myself in Bozeman, with my Frequent Sky card before a final weekend with friends in Philipsburg.

That leaves the week between Discovery closing and Big Sky's free week for me to fill. A long way to go, a lot to think about so will leave it til nearer then before making a plan.

I'm looking forward to having friends out in Philipsburg with me this winter all the way from Scotland for 4-5 days too, should be a great time.

Feb. 14-21, flying to Edmonton, AB for my father's 80th birthday, renting a car then heading to Castle/Fernie, flying home from Calgary

every weekend in slc........... alta/bird combined pass -- opening day tomorrow......9:15........

perhaps a trip to jackson hole .......

jojo_obrien":3incbuwk said:
every weekend in slc........... alta/bird combined pass -- opening day tomorrow......9:15........

See ya tomorrow. You've got my cell number, right? I should be there by 10 - damned doctor picked a hell of a day to insist upon seeing me but at least I got him to agree to 8:30, and it's right on my route to the hill. He'll have to see me in skiwear.

And please, like I tell everyone: don't text me on a ski day. It's a PITA to dig out my phone. Just call - I have a Bluetooth helmet. That's easy.

I'll be skiing pretty much every day until Dec. 2 unless my early season legs need a day off.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

AltaBird pass gets you half price on JH tix this season thanks to Mountain Collective. I wonder if that will lure any more Utards besides jojoba-obedient up there?

Once again it appears admin is burning vacation days in early season rather than for mid-season powder days.

Going to Vegas over Xmas..Booked Mammoth and BrianHead...Will go to one or the other, who ever has better conditions..

jamesdeluxe":1wfqph0j said:
Tony Crocker":1wfqph0j said:
Once again it appears admin is burning vacation days in early season rather than for mid-season powder days.
:popcorn:

Use em or lose em come Jan. 1.

Tony Crocker":8ee9em9q said:

You're right... Why bother with the manmade white ribbon?

nuzebu8a.jpg

Tony Crocker":2jwaurti said:
What is it that you find so difficult to comprehend in a vacation policy that states a carry-over limit and a use them or loose them mandate for any remaining days?

Since this happened last year too, perhaps one could plan to have just a couple days left going into December rather than more than a week.

Tony Crocker":24wstbp9 said:
Since this happened last year too, perhaps one could plan to have just a couple days left going into December rather than more than a week.
I certainly can't speak for Admin's day job company, but in some organizations, you cannot take vacation days until you accrue them.

More importantly, why do you care so much about how Admin uses his vacation days? It's kinda creepy.

Back