starting a ski club at school next year - suggestions

I started and ran the Ski Club at Maplewood High School in PA back in the mid 90's. It was not easy but REALLY worth the time.

10 to 1 is a good ratio of chaperones but you know that there will be some issues that will need to be dealt with. High school students will ALWAYS finda way to do whatever it is that they want so be careful. (I know because I did :wink: )

Haha... On most trips I'm the one sneeking to the girls rooms at 2 AM, so I know some people will find a way around the rules, but I also know all the tricks. However, since I'm the president of the club, I have to be responsible and enforce rules if I want to keep this club going, and keep the trips ski trips. Does this mean we should have hall monitors during the night? That seems a bit overboard to me but if it's necessary then we'll do it. I figure the official curfew is 11 pm, and even if people are sneaking out to other people's rooms, as long as they stay in the hotel, they're quite (no mid-night complaints from the front desk) and there's no drinking (I have to do random bag checks - school rules since a band trip went bad last year... so that shouldn't be a problem) what's the worst that can happen? They'll be tired the next day and have some good stories. Besides, I don't think they're going to have energy to sneak out any further than they're freinds room, considering we're leaving at 6AM Sat morning (they're up at 5 AM probably), and they'll be skiing 9AM-9PM before going to bead Sat night. Any thoughts on this?

aaron12345":2ood1fcu said:
Does this mean we should have hall monitors during the night? That seems a bit overboard to me

It does to me, too.

and there's no drinking (I have to do random bag checks - school rules since a band trip went bad last year... so that shouldn't be a problem)

That's what caused us problems, too.

what's the worst that can happen?

Heh. Heheh. Hehehehehehe...

Never ever ask what is the worst.... High School Students have very vivid imaginations.

As for drinking I know every time I had to sneak something in it was in a hairspray or shampoo bottle that I washed out.

No one wants to stay up all night and watch the hall... Big pain in the butt. And I doubt it will stop much. As long as they stay quiet, sober, and non-fornicating :D you should be fine. I think you are taking the precautions that you need to.

Quite and sober I can almost control. Fornication ehh.. that's a little harder - and it's fun haha. Well as long as they use protection, there's no proof, and if they don't well I have 9 months to get out of town before a dad comes after me with a pitchfork... In all seriousness, I can't stop everything, but I guess I can be clear about the rules, clear about the consequences, try to act responsible (out of character), and hope for the best.

Another question - the trip's in february, and the 57 person bus is full. I already have 3 people on the waiting list. I know some will drop out, but any guesses on how many. The $15 deposits are refundable up until dec. 1. At what point (how many people on the waiting list) do I start looking at additional transportation, such as a 12 passenger van. Also, what do you guys think about maybe having one or two parents drive and reimbursing for gas to accomodate a few extra kids, asssuming we don't have enough for another van or bus?

Back