Interesting piece on Lintzen/climate change

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Re: Interesting piece on Lintzen/climate change

Postby Marc_C » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm

-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:36 am

My God, the amount of alarmist bullshit in that article is shocking, even for the NY Times.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Sea level rise due to thermal expansion has been gradual and consistent for some time. I have little doubt that's enough to cause problems in low lying barrier islands etc. on the East and Gulf Coasts. Any further development in those areas should be with the assumption that the thermal expansion will continue at least at the current rate.

Glacier loss has not been enough to move the needle on sea level rise. You need to melt significant parts of Greenland and Antarctica for that to happen. It's still anybody's guess how much temperature rise is needed.

I've never read anything about significant sea level rise during the Medieval or Roman warming periods. The article mentions research on exposed corals from 20-30 feet higher sea levels 125,000 years ago. I would view that as useful research, especially if there's any way to tie that period to a specific temperature range.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Marc_C » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Admin wrote:My God, the amount of alarmist bullshit in that article is shocking, even for the NY Times.

Exactly what is the alarmist bullshit?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Marc_C wrote:
Admin wrote:My God, the amount of alarmist bullshit in that article is shocking, even for the NY Times.

Exactly what is the alarmist bullshit?

1. Relating flooded seaside roads and wastewater systems in the southeastern U.S. to climate change, despite a distinct lack of measurements (notice that there aren't any referenced in the article) and the fact that this has been happening for generations anyway;
2. Ascribing it to "the global warming created by human emissions (that has) caused land ice to melt and ocean water to expand," despite the fact that the human cause has yet to be conclusively proven;
3. "The sea has crept up to the point that a high tide and a brisk wind are all it takes to send water pouring into streets and homes." -- anyone living in the southeastern U.S., including me in a previous lifetime, can tell you has been a fact of life as far as anyone can remember. Seriously...can they show that without "a brisk wind" this is happening now more than previously? Of course not -- because it isn't. I can tell you that in 1995, a "brisk wind" flooded the entire barrier island that I lived on with 4 feet of salt water. There wasn't a dry spot anywhere and I couldn't get off the island to report to my first day of work in a new job. Was that due to "global warming created by human emissions"? Of course it wasn't -- then, or now.
4. "In coastal regions, that compounds the damage from the increasingly heavy rains plaguing the country, like those that recently caused extensive flooding in Louisiana. Scientists say these rains are also a consequence of human greenhouse emissions." Really, what scientist did the author name? He didn't, because he couldn't. Ascribing any one weather event to a climatological phenomenon, regardless of the cause, is the first sign for the bullshit meter.
5. I've now given you two examples of where the article stated as if it was a conclusive fact that "human greenhouse emissions" are responsible for climate change. I'll give you that climate change is real; it has been for millions of years. The human cause has not been conclusively verified.

Seriously, need I go on? The author had an agenda, but made no effort to mask it or even find any semblance of editorial balance. That was off the bullshit scale, even for the NYT. It has to be one of the most transparent pieces of propaganda I've ever seen that dirt rag publish.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 am

jamesdeluxe

Postby Marc_C » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:33 am

Admin wrote:2. Ascribing it to "the global warming created by human emissions (that has) caused land ice to melt and ocean water to expand," despite the fact that the human cause has yet to be conclusively proven;

What evidence would you feel is necessary?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby EMSC » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Marc_C wrote:
Admin wrote:2. Ascribing it to "the global warming created by human emissions (that has) caused land ice to melt and ocean water to expand," despite the fact that the human cause has yet to be conclusively proven;

It would be nice to start with actual scientific evidence. Not hypothetical, partially informed at best, computer modelling. Extraordinary claims require scientifically provable extraordinary evidence; not generic guesstimates of unproven hypothesis or human emotional 'consensus'. Unfortunately we still sit a juncture where climate scientists still don't even know what it is that they don't know about the climate that even should be included in computer models, yet alone the detailed parameters required to be accurate in modelling.
EMSC

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:34 pm

EMSC wrote:
Marc_C wrote:

It would be nice to start with actual scientific evidence.

+1

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:16 am

-marc
Marc_C

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun May 20, 2018 3:36 am

Relax, Admin assured us that EPA Administrator Pruitt is on it!
jamesdeluxe

Previous

Return to General Discussion