Work it!

JimG.

Before marriage, I worked out at least 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. Once marriage and children came along, I still worked out 5 times a week but for alot less time each day.

Then came my gruesome ski accident and my whole workout regimen had to change. Gone was anything high impact and in came exercise bikes, progressive resistance machines, exercise balls, and yoga.

Skiing with large metal plates and bolts in both legs took some getting used to. I ski the same and for the same amount of time (which is a miracle), but when the season ends I cannot just pick up my workout routine. My body is sore and a bit broken down when the season ends and I give myself June and July to rest and recover. My workouts consist of yardwork like digging holes and hoisting stones, none of which is really very restful.

Now, here we are about 90 days out and my workout alarm has sounded...onto the exercise bike again, lots of crunches and 75cm exercise ball work, some progressive resistance routines for strength, then some quiet yoga and stretching. Man does it feel good!

Does anybody else go through this kind of stuff?

i prefer reps of lifting pints rather than curling various sized ounced containers (hopefully glass and not tin :) ).

in all seriousness, i had a regular work out pattern in my college days i wish i could get back into. i'd do classes in the AM, head to work for 4 hours, then do a 5 mile run with occasional strength training thrown in after the run, the barely make it into the dinner hall at 6:15. was in primo shape back then.

now i come home from work feeling crazy tired after putting everything i had into 8+ hours of mental (and often physical) fatigue. just want to sit in front of the computer and veg when i get home. not the greatest pattern to get into and a little working out would probably lift the spirit and mind after work. so hard getting back into the routine. the really unhealthy part about that cycle is that most of my time in front of the computer is spent day dreaming about skiing! :roll: i'm one sick puppy.

Speaking of puppy, I take my yellow lab Samantha up a steep 800 vertical hill about a block from home. I suspect admin does the same with Zach on Grandeur.

Tony Crocker":34zsti7f said:
Speaking of puppy, I take my yellow lab Samantha up a steep 800 vertical hill about a block from home. I suspect admin does the same with Zach on Grandeur.

When his daddy isn't busy doing his 12-oz curl routine. :wink:

Admin":k7ykhrq0 said:
JimG.":k7ykhrq0 said:
Ah yes, the Budweiser workout.

Speak for yourself - my tastes are a bit more discriminating. :wink:

Shouldn't have chosen a specific brand; was trying to be very general.

I'm not a Bud man either.

When his daddy isn't busy doing his 12-oz curl routine.

There's a "who's your daddy" joke in there somewhere....

More seriously though: I've never worked out for ski season (never had to ) but now that I work behind a desk all day and have become a couch potatoe, I'm out of shape. Where could I find some good info about some simple (read: no gym membership required) low impact (or at least, no running) training?

Jonny D":kny836zk said:
More seriously though: I've never worked out for ski season (never had to ) but now that I work behind a desk all day and have become a couch potatoe, I'm out of shape. Where could I find some good info about some simple (read: no gym membership required) low impact (or at least, no running) training?

SKI and SKIING magazines usually have 90 day workout routines as part of their spring/summer issues.

Jonny D":3mkd8p51 said:

Well, I'm not about to give up my exercise routine, but for those who are willing, why look anywhere else than FTO?

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/offseason.shtm

Great! Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to see swimming is in there, 'cuz in the summer, there's no place like the pool.

Jonny D":1cdppfpe said:
Great! Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to see swimming is in there, 'cuz in the summer, there's no place like the pool.

Swimming is THE BEST workout there is...no impact, every muscle group is in play, incredible aerobic workout.

The best of all worlds in one activity.

the next time i hear someone say " i used to ski bumps before the big injury.. " blah blah blah, i'll have a chuckle and think of our man jimG. more metal in him than a junk yard and still smashin moguls :p
post ski stretching ( like literally right there in the lodge at 4:10pm while the guys are vacuming the hard carpets) plus 3 cycles of a hot and cold water shower ( some would call that psychotic ) are what helps me keep up the grind during the season. there is no way the average person beats up their body over the course of ski season , i would dare to guess, like the typical regular sick birds here on FTO do.

Newbie here.
I hike to try to stay in shape.
Not in the best shape even in ski season.
I try to go out hiking Sat and sunday in the Summer and get a least a few hours of in.
One day usually being a 4 plus hour day hike. Hiking keeps my mind in shape more than my body. Exercise bike a couple of days a week also.

Back