Economic Reminder

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Economic Reminder

Postby Marc_C » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 am

In ski discussion forums like here and elsewhere, the issue of the cost of skiing often gets the chew-toy treatment. Invariably someone will bring up how cheap it used to be and how you could get a lift ticket at Big-Little Mountain for a mere $20 or whatever.

Remember that 50 cents in 1971 is ~$5.00 today.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:12 pm

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
50 cents in 1971 is ~$2.90 today.

As we know some things inflate more than average inflation, some much less.

With skiing, in the clearly more category since 1971:
Day lift tickets
Lessons
Gas for car trips
Maybe lodging and restaurants?

With skiing, in the clearly less category since 1971:
Season passes
Clothing, ski accessories
Airfares

Major equipment like boots and skis have probably risen about with inflation in terms of ski shop list pricing. But we all know gear sluts who are constantly searching online and scoring great deals. The facility to do this sort of thing was much more limited 40 years ago.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 10223
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:As we know some things inflate more than average inflation, some much less.

I didn't ski until my mid-30s; however, my first rock concert (Van Halen in 1978 on their inaugural headlining tour) cost $8.50, which is $27 adjusted for inflation. I doubt you could pay this little today for something similar.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:54 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Tony Crocker wrote:As we know some things inflate more than average inflation, some much less.

I didn't ski until my mid-30s; however, my first rock concert (Van Halen in 1978 on their inaugural headlining tour) cost $8.50, which is $27 adjusted for inflation. I doubt you could pay this little today for something similar.


:rotfl:
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Admin wrote: :rotfl:

I saw all the David Lee Roth-era VH in your collection, so don't act superior -- especially after inflating your powder stats today.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:13 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Admin wrote: :rotfl:

I saw all the David Lee Roth-era VH in your collection, so don't act superior -- especially after inflating your powder stats today.


Damn, how many times in one topic can I use the :rotfl: emoji?
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby jojo_obrien » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 pm

i know this is an economic thread , however, i thought it was pretty entertaining when i talked to this "relatively" old dude (about 55 years old I"m guessing) on gadzoom today who talked about the "old days at snowbird".........when gadzoom lift ended apparently where the midgad lodge is now....and the other lifts there were not the crankin high speed quads that exist now... he noted that "skiing back then at snowbird was like heli-skiing".......it just didnt get annihilated like it does now! pretty simple...slower chairs...less people......................
User avatar
jojo_obrien
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Location: los angeles, ca

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 pm

jojo_obrien wrote:pretty simple...slower chairs...less people......................


Weren't you the guy who just today trumpeted Snowbird's new high-speed Gad 2? :-k

In viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11425#p71786 jojo_obrien wrote:I do love me some Ballroom and Backside at Alta, but I'm finding myself ever more enamored with the quantity of vertical I get at Snowbird riding high speed quads consistently all day long (now that LC and Gad 2 are now HS Quads). I really feel like I get a TON of skiing in..........
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10013
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby rfarren » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Admin wrote:
jojo_obrien wrote:pretty simple...slower chairs...less people......................


Weren't you the guy who just today trumpeted Snowbird's new high-speed Gad 2? :-k

In http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... 425#p71786 jojo_obrien wrote:I do love me some Ballroom and Backside at Alta, but I'm finding myself ever more enamored with the quantity of vertical I get at Snowbird riding high speed quads consistently all day long (now that LC and Gad 2 are now HS Quads). I really feel like I get a TON of skiing in..........

That is unless you get stuck on that new Gad 2 lift for 30 minutes - 3 chairs from the top lift station, while watching the lift attendant carry wrenches up and down the ladder leading to housing. :-s

On a side note this thread should be retitled: "White people problems."

Lift access skiing is expensive, always was, always will be. Gravity has that effect on dollars.
Rob
User avatar
rfarren
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 pm

admin wrote:Weren't you the guy who just today trumpeted Snowbird's new high-speed Gad 2? :-k

With significant new snow, jojo-obrien and skiace have demonstrated what one can do on a powder day with those lifts.

The greater powder day competition today vs. the era of jojo's "relatively old dude" is due mainly to equipment improvements. Given the choice between pre-high-speed-Collins lift lines and quickly tracked out powder, most of us will take our chances with the powder competition. At a mountain you know well, you can succeed in that competition, as numerous posts on these boards at both Alta and Snowbird demonstrate. And for occasional visitors to Utah, there's often Powder Mt., Snowbasin or Solitude if you don't want the competition.

rfarren wrote:On a side note this thread should be retitled: "White people problems."

I believe the PC term is "First World Problems." :lol:
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 10223
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby rfarren » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:I believe the PC term is "First World Problems." :lol:


Right,... white people problems. :troll:
Rob
User avatar
rfarren
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby jojo_obrien » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 am

rfarren wrote:
Tony Crocker wrote:I believe the PC term is "First World Problems." :lol:


Right,... white people problems. :troll:


:rotfl:

thats a good one ..........
User avatar
jojo_obrien
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Location: los angeles, ca

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby jojo_obrien » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:46 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
admin wrote:Weren't you the guy who just today trumpeted Snowbird's new high-speed Gad 2? :-k

With significant new snow, jojo-obrien and skiace have demonstrated what one can do on a powder day with those lifts.

The greater powder day competition today vs. the era of jojo's "relatively old dude" is due mainly to equipment improvements. Given the choice between pre-high-speed-Collins lift lines and quickly tracked out powder, most of us will take our chances with the powder competition. At a mountain you know well, you can succeed in that competition, as numerous posts on these boards at both Alta and Snowbird demonstrate. And for occasional visitors to Utah, there's often Powder Mt., Snowbasin or Solitude if you don't want the competition.


In my experience skiing PM, Snowbasin, and Solitude........the vote absolutely goes to PowMow......I think the $450 season passes to Snowbasin , the accessibility of Snowbasin, the great terrain, the high end lodges makes it just about as busy as Snowbird IMO. I don't know what Snowbasin was like 10 years ago, however......low prices = more traffic, less untracked. Just look at what Mt Baldy did over the last 10 years......with the birth of the internet and $100 season passes, the place became a zoo...........
User avatar
jojo_obrien
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:02 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Location: los angeles, ca

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Marc_C » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
50 cents in 1971 is ~$2.90 today.

Yeah, the $5 equivalence came from a ski article I was reading and I didn't bother to check government or financial sources.

So revising: a $15 lift ticket in 1971 would cost a few cents shy of $87 today.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Economic Reminder

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 pm

A Mammoth day ticket in 1978 was $12. The CPI calculator says that's $43.21 in today's $. A regular season window ticket at Mammoth is $99 in 2014.

On Mammoth Forum someone quoted a 1992 season pass at $750. The CPI calculator says that's $1255.07 in today's $. The Basic MVP was $659 for this season, and $100 more if you wanted the half price tickets at the other Mountain Collective areas.

jojo_obrien wrote:Just look at what Mt Baldy did over the last 10 years......with the birth of the internet and $100 season passes, the place became a zoo...........

No more of a zoo than on big snow year weekends in 1979 and 1983 IMHO.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 10223
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use