California Pass

For those of us with Mammoth MVP, Big Bear was a freebie addition for 2014-15. So no complaints here though I'll probably only go a couple of times.

hayduke":26vnjwrm said:
With Mammoth at $103/day,how can you not buy a pass?
Because there's an intelligent hedge, as exercised by my son Adam for 2014-15, of buying the Mountain Collective. You need something like 9 days at Mammoth for the MVP to be a better deal than the MCP, even if you never go to one of the other MCP areas. If the Sierra has a slow start like last year, you have nice options with the Mountain Collective like AltaBird, Aspen and Jackson. I have been on Mammoth MVP for 9 seasons. At least 4 of them would have been better with MCP. In my personal situation, the big years at Mammoth (25 days in 2010-11, 18 days in 2012-13) pay off the MVP more than enough to compensate the lower years. And I'm still getting the half price MCP tickets, though not the 2 free days.

Tony Crocker":1jg1sh0u said:
hayduke":1jg1sh0u said:
With Mammoth at $103/day,how can you not buy a pass?
Because there's an intelligent hedge, as exercised by my son Adam for 2014-15, of buying the Mountain Collective. You need something like 9 days at Mammoth for the MVP to be a better deal than the MCP, even if you never go to one of the other MCP areas. If the Sierra has a slow start like last year, you have nice options with the Mountain Collective like AltaBird, Aspen and Jackson. I have been on Mammoth MVP for 9 seasons. At least 4 of them would have been better with MCP. In my personal situation, the big years at Mammoth (25 days in 2010-11, 18 days in 2012-13) pay off the MVP more than enough to compensate the lower years. And I'm still getting the half price MCP tickets, though not the 2 free days.

2 months later,and now I understand.I had not been in California the last few years and did not realize how bad it was.Since I had an injury,I havent been on the snow anyway,but almost better now, and wondering if February-March still might recover in snowfall and if Mammoth continues to sell passes all season or not.

I bought a 4 day pass for mammoth for $65 a day on liftopia. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hayduke":pzypm6fc said:
I had not been in California the last few years and did not realize how bad it was.
By the end of this month I'll be willing to say this is the worst California drought I've seen since I began skiing in 1976. There has never been an entirely snowless January, though 1991 was close. Nonetheless there is no correlation/causation between the quality of one ski season to the next, and barely any correlation from one month to the next. That same grim 1991 season finally had a huge March.

Tony Crocker":3mqiri2f said:
hayduke":3mqiri2f said:
I had not been in California the last few years and did not realize how bad it was.
By the end of this month I'll be willing to say this is the worst California drought I've seen since I began skiing in 1976. There has never been an entirely snowless January, though 1991 was close. Nonetheless there is no correlation/causation between the quality of one ski season to the next, and barely any correlation from one month to the next. That same grim 1991 season finally had a huge March.

My Squaw friends are crying. ....and booking flights. Closed: KT-22, Headwall, Granite Chief, .....

Back