Best Tree Skiing?

ChrisC":1obf8r6z said:
I grew up skiing/racing in the East. I really agree with the above statement.

Realize that Mr. Renson's comment was extremely tongue-in-cheek.

As an Alta passholder, however, I really have to question your endorsement of Alta's tree skiing. Sure, there are some select pockets that I'd really rather not name here, but for the most part we struggle on a storm day to find top-to-bottom routes completely encased in trees.

Well, I said parts of Alta. I don't pretend to know everything about the place

What parts am I thinking of Alta that might count as tree skiing?

1.Eagles Nest/North Rustler have lots of trees.
2.A lot of Supreme - Piney Glade, Spiney Areas.
3. Parts of Westward Ho.

I think these relatively gladed areas are quite nice.

A lot of Mad River's glades got opened up to about these levels after the ice storm in 1998.

Anyways, it's just my opinion.

ChrisC":12ewtqsl said:
Well, I said parts of Alta. I don't pretend to know everything about the place

What parts am I thinking of Alta that might count as tree skiing?

1.Eagles Nest/North Rustler have lots of trees.
2.A lot of Supreme - Piney Glade, Spiney Areas.
3. Parts of Westward Ho.

I think these relatively gladed areas are quite nice.

A lot of Mad River's glades got opened up to about these levels after the ice storm in 1998.

Anyways, it's just my opinion.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply any offense -- I hope that you didn't take my comments that way. And thankfully you've managed to avoid mentioning a few of my favorite spots. :-$ Unfortunately, though, all of those mentioned, save for Supreme, require a vertigo-inducing braille run or traverse through the wide open spaces to get to them. Gawd, I love the High-T when I can't see a damned thing! :shock:

Admin":3aegn63r said:
Unfortunately, though, all of those mentioned, save for Supreme, require a vertigo-inducing braille run or traverse through the wide open spaces to get to them. Gawd, I love the High-T when I can't see a damned thing! :shock:

Hey! Just turn left. You'll get to the bottom.

Cheers,
Jeff

I got a couple for ya right in CNY and we may not have the vert of others but that lake Ontario snow machine that frequently creates 3 ft dump's can make for some great fun

Attachments

• Tully.jpg
    Tully.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 11,531
  • ridge8.JPG
    ridge8.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 11,566
  • ridge3.JPG
    ridge3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 11,539
  • ridge10.JPG
    ridge10.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 11,545
  • ridge15.jpg
    ridge15.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 11,547
  • CNY.jpg
    CNY.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 11,552
I just want to caution ANYONE that is planning on heading out to Big Jay this year. It is deffinetly worth your trip, but make sure you are with someone who has gone before, and be prepared to spend the night just in case. I have gotten stuck out there in waist deep, it's not fun. I do think that the rewards outweigh the risk but be sure of your ability level before taking your first step towards Big Jay.

and be prepared to spend the night just in case.
i don't think that point can be emphasized enough given the amount of people that have done just that recently, some needing rescue.

I don't have a whole lot of experience skiing Western Glades. I was actually pleasently surprised by some of the glades at Keystone. As more of an "intermediate" mountain by reputation there were some really good tight lines off of the last peak. The Wolverine and Wildfire glades were a lot of fun. I think I may have gotten off of the official glade a few times but that was even better. I think most of the clientel at this resort shys away from trees leaving mor for me on this particular day :)

Attachments

• Keystone Glades2.JPG
    Keystone Glades2.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 7,346
  • KeystoneGlades.JPG
    KeystoneGlades.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 7,348
From_the_NEK":1bfk3td1 said:
I don't have a whole lot of experience skiing Western Glades. I was actually pleasently surprised by some of the glades at Keystone. As more of an "intermediate" mountain by reputation...

Nice pics! Years ago I played a lot in those glades and learned a lot about skiing trees (tree-lined hallways actually).

I got a kick out of the return run to the lift from Wolverine Glades. The trail, Coyote Caper, is a single black which seems just too flat to merit its high rating. But it has many tight spots in that demand the foot coordination skills that all good skiers have. Slow footed skiers usually crash. Thus, this trail is probably the flatest truly expert trail in America.

Cheers,
Jeff

A few more glades pics from Burke Mtn. Vermont. Tight birch powder runs =P~

Attachments

• Hownottoskitrees.JPG
    Hownottoskitrees.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 7,281
  • Intheresomewhere.JPG
    Intheresomewhere.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 7,270
  • Birches2.JPG
    Birches2.JPG