15-16 Season Recap

EMSC

I may be done for the season (or not, depends on if the storms are big enough next two weeks to get me back out). So I figured I'd start the annual thread (will update this post if I ski any more).

29 total ski days this season.

By month:
2 Nov
6 Dec
5 Jan
6 Feb
6 Mar
4 Apr

By resort:
15 Eldora
7 Copper
2 Winter Park
1 Park City
1 Snowbird
1 Alta
1 Deer Valley (new area for me)
1 Loveland

Wife had 18 days and Jr had 21 days.

5 days held powder for me and several others had very soft snow from leftover/next day type skiing as well. Overall a good season with a 5/6 year old in the house. Especially with Jr progressing to super fast groomed/'all' terrain in his wedge. Working on now getting him to parallel skiing and proper poles by the end of the season and evaluating if I should put him in the racing team next season.

68 total ski days so far... broken ankle in October and bad back in April contributed in lower numbers in Nov, Dec and Apr. I should fall in the range of the previous 2 seasons (86 and 90).

By month:
Oct: 1
Nov: 1
Dec: 8
Jan: 19
Feb: 21
Mar: 16
Apr: 2

By area:
Edelweiss QC: 53
Killington VT: 3
St-Sauveur QC: 2 (a possibly a few more)
Fortune QC: 2
Calabogie ON: 2
Vorlage QC: 1
Cascades QC: 1
Rigaud QC: 1 (new area unless I skied there prior to 1981 which is possible - on the way between Montreal-Ottawa)
Whiteface NY: 1
Cannon NH: 1
Mont Chilly QC: 1

Discovery - 33 days
Lookout Pass - 2 days
Non Ski Days - 3 days

This was a somewhat strange year for me in that it was spent almost entirely at Discovery. This in part was due to Discovery extending their season by a week after I had booked my flights meaning I flew home the day after closing day rather than having a week to play elsewhere. Before heading out I knew that I wouldn't see anywhere new this trip but felt that I would at least have a few days away from Philipsburg on day trips but it didn't materialize mainly down to having great conditions on my doorstep. 35 days is a record for me and I got the cost of my pass down to $8.75 per day with the whole of next year still to go on my 2-year March Madness $289 pass. Not bad for a tourist.

Therefore I skied a lot at Discovery and for a season that brought a mere 150 inches the coverage on Limelight was the best I can recall in all my years visiting. The rock/stump/crap band along the top of Christmas Park, Guns etc was covered for pretty much the entire time. The same went for the band 1/2 way down the steep pitch of the same runs meaning you barely had to think when hauling ass through the area.

My 2 days at Lookout holds a little story which I might hold onto for now incase I finally write up a report but my buddy Jim's wife Karen was off for Spring Break so we spent a lovely couple days over in Wallace Idaho skiing at Lookout. Great little brewpub City Limits which served up a St Paddy's day menu which we all enjoyed including fantastic beer brewed in house. Well worth a visit. We stayed in the Stardust Motel which although dated a little was superb value at $44 a room. Clean, comfortable and spacious rooms.

The skiing at Discovery this year was simply superb. There were a few warm spells but Limelight stayed pretty nice and each warm spell was quickly followed by a fresh batch of snow. 44 inches of which fell during the month of March according to patrol. My fitness plan which saw me jogging at 5am in rain/sleet/snow from October to March made a massive difference meaning I didn't really need any days off and skied hard from rope drop to close on many occasions including 1 day where I hit rope drop at 10am and skied without a single stop until Limelight closed at 3.45pm. Despite eating like a king I lost 4% of my body fat during the trip. Yesterday I had my first jog since returning and aim to be fitter than ever next year.

Although we drink beers in the house I also found this year that I spent way less time up town causing mischief which led to less hangovers and the ability to ski hard daily.

The welcome I receive from the ski hill owners, patrol, lifties, skiers and people in town make my stay so memorable and I cannot wait for 2017.

I chose a good season to avoid the northeast.

21 Days
2 Solitude, UT
1 Snowbasin, UT
1 Sundance, UT
2 Camelback, PA
2 Châtel, FR
1 Grand Bornand, FR
1 La Clusaz, FR
2 Megève, FR
2 Espace Diamant, FR
1 Hochstuckli, CH
1 Klewenalp, CH
1 Stoos, CH
2 Mythen, CH
1 Rigi, CH
1 Hoch-Ybrig, CH

Jamesdeluxe's recap is a clear cut example of quality over quantity. =D> Sort of the opposite of Patrick. :p

Tony Crocker":xgi3w7iv said:
Jamesdeluxe's recap is a clear cut example of quality over quantity. =D> Sort of the opposite of Patrick. :p

PPPPLease :dead horse:

I have no hesitation between choosing between James' 21 days and my 68 days season if you take everything into account. I can just imagine how much 6 days in Switzerland would have cost. My 68 days season cost less than James' 6 days in Switzerland. :mrgreen:

21 days isn't enough (that also the amount of days I've skied in February), I would be bouncing off wall. In the last 35 years I've only skied 4 season with less than 21 days and 2 of those years were due to fractures.

Patrick":m0m7hpu8 said:
I can just imagine how much 6 days in Switzerland would have cost. My 68 days season cost less than James' 6 days in Switzerland.
Everything included, my total costs for seven ski days in Switzerland: $1,150. Of course, I used FF miles for the flight, so it only cost $50 in taxes.

I think that's a pretty impressive bang for the buck. :bow:

jamesdeluxe":2ofzoh2y said:
Everything included, my total costs for seven ski days in Switzerland: $1,150.
I've met people who have spent more than that for a week at Alta. (Also not including airfare, to keep the comparison valid.)

jamesdeluxe":3a1cok9g said:
Patrick":3a1cok9g said:
I can just imagine how much 6 days in Switzerland would have cost. My 68 days season cost less than James' 6 days in Switzerland.
Everything included, my total costs for seven ski days in Switzerland: $1,150. Of course, I used FF miles for the flight, so it only cost $50 in taxes.

Impressive, but still more than 4 times more than my 70 days so far.

My vote, along with I suspect admin's and many others, would be for the quality of James' 21 days given these 2 options regardless of price. The impressive deals James scored would would likely make such a vote even more lopsided.

jamesdeluxe wrote:

Patrick wrote:

Impressive, but still more than 4 times more than my 70 days so far.

This is apples to oranges argument..

It's all about the quality..Life's to short to ski crap or freeze your balls off..

jasoncapecod":3oywou60 said:
It's all about the quality..Life's to short to ski crap or freeze your balls off..
This.
A big part of our decision to leave the northeast 16 years ago.

Tony Crocker":3qhx6rsj said:
My vote, along with I suspect admin's and many others, would be for the quality of James' 21 days given these 2 options regardless of price. The impressive deals James scored would would likely make such a vote even more lopsided.

I love the way that you routinely make judgments and decisions on behalf of others. :roll:

Admin":3b8dmh89 said:
I love the way that you routinely make judgments and decisions on behalf of others. :roll:
Given the number of times I've gotten the "quality over quantity" lecture from admin, it's not a great leap of faith to guess where he might come down on the alternatives posed in this thread.

I know that I'm going to regret asking this, but putting aside the quality/quantity discussion, I'd like to see how Patrick calculated that he skied 68 days on a quarter of my Switzerland costs, which would be $287 US. To make it apples to apples, please include all your expenses for gas (and those are Canadian gas prices), food, and incidentals.

Back