Best Hitching Backcountry?

option_ride

In Santa Fe Big Tesuque is a popular run that gains you about half the vertical by hitching from the base of the aspen grove (2 - miles down from base- you wont miss it) Most common is doing loops with a lift ticket. Big T is a nice gentle glade of open pine at the top and falls down through the massive glade of aspens below Ski Santafe. There are also some steeper north faces that require a good traverse or climb, but I've yet to try them... I'll let you know this spring :)

The most common route is to hike a short distance from the triple chair to the radio towers (easily seen to the right of the triple about 500 yards). From there decend through the open glade dirictly under the Ski Santa Fe bear logo. You end up droping into a beautiful tight glade of aspens. For your first time just wait at the towers for a local and play follow the leader :) It makes a great run before lunch from the lift on a pow day and you can get an easy ride from half dayers.

Big T is marked by the purple line.

The yellow line to the left roughly represents the climb from the parking lot to Deception Peak via Raven's Ridge from my other post :)

Trails2005.gif

Back