Booze, skiing, irony

HDHaller

Isn't there some irony somewhere in the following? The January 9th headlines from the news section of this Web site (in the order in which they appeared):

-U.S. SKI TEAM DENOUNCES BODE MILLER'S ALCHOHOL COMMENTS

-FIRST ANNUAL MOLSON CANADIAN JUNIOR FREESTYLE EVENT DEEMED A SUCCESS

-WINTER WINE FESTIVAL STARTS JANUARY 18 AT TAOS SKI VALLEY

...heh, heh, heh. I particularly like the second headline. Now there's a "successful" combination: Molson Canadian and a bunch of junior freestylers. Aren't we all sort of simultaneously puritanical and permissive when it comes to alchohol and skiing?

-HDH

:lol:

As the guy who typically speeds through editing the news items, I'll admit that the irony escaped me. Touché!

And you can bet these ironies do not escape the intelligence of kids. How hypocritical to slap Bode on the wrist for being honest, then turn around and accept a boatload of cash from the beer industry.

This is why I make sure I'm a good role model for my kids. I don't expect athletes to be role models, they're just human beings like the rest of us. And the US ski team is just another big business, worrying about marketing perceptions because of an athlete's comments but having their hands in the industry's pockets all the same.

Lame!

That's pretty lame... kids and drinking.

How about when the main sponsor in the 80s for the Canadian National Championships was "Export A", a cigarette brand.

Not that he's a politician or something, but Bode should've known better to talk about skiing drunk.

I happen to enjoy NHRA drag racing...yet it never ceases to amaze me that several of the top teams in Top Fuel, where cars regularly exceed 330 MPH, are sponsored by beer companies. The announcers even refer to these cars as "beer wagons".

How's that for a conflicting message about drinking and driving?

Patrick":1phh6nc1 said:
Not that he's a politician or something, but Bode should've known better to talk about skiing drunk.

But most of us, most of the time, don't bat an eye at a "Molson Canadian Junior Freestyle Event" or a Budweiser Top Fuel Dragster; we tolerate booze and skiing, or booze and driving, on implicit levels all the time. That's my point here.

So how can we get too angry with Bode? He just took the implicit and made it explicit; he just said it outloud. But others imply it all the time, and no one gets angry or even takes notice.

I just think people can be pretty hypocritical about booze, and that Bode's comment wasn't so very shocking or as damaging (kids, etc) as an alchohol sponsor for a skiing event.

-HDH

i think i saw somewhere that one of the non-ski rags has a cover with bode on the front with the tag line "miller time" :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: :roll:

Back