1st day of summer

jasoncapecod

We are finally over the hump..Yes the 1st day of summer is a good thing.. The day's will start to shorten as we march towards the gloomy cold of winter :lol: :D .. I can't wait. Summers in the North East suck.

OK, call this blasphemous if you want, but are summers really that bad??

It's a lack of change of seasons that sucks, IMO. After 9 years in FL I really started hating summer, but can you imagine how old perpetual winter would get? Summers in the Northeast were a blast to me: windsurfing at Kalmas Beach, fresh flounder and corn on the cob in Mystic, outdoor concerts at SPAC, camp on an Adirondack lake, bicycling through the Champlain Valley, ... I could go on and on. And out here, now that I'm spending my second summer in Utah, I'm convinced that summers may be more beautiful than winters here -- dry and sunny all the time for camping, hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc.

Winter will be here soon enough. When I hung up my skis in Utah 2 weekends ago I barely shed a tear. Once I hit up Hood later this week I'll be done until November. I can survive 4 or 5 months off skis, and revel in the weather until then.

OK You got me.. Yes i had some great days climbing at the gunks.. I see you used to sail kalmus.. My family has a house 2 miles from there.. I have spent untold hours waiting for the thermals to kick in.. Yes i am a wind snob. :wink: . Try not to rig anything bigger than a 5.6m sail..
I am also a chef and the hot summers in the kitchen are ruff..
I am looking forward to bringing my family to ParkCity this Feb.
Cheers

Summer sucks...period. No snow.

Here's to a short summer and an early and snow-filled return of winter!!

Admin":3w2jowkg said:
Summers in the Northeast were a blast to me.

The important verb in that sentence is WERE!!! Summer start earlier then ever, there is no Spring anymore. Once you hit May, you can get the debiiating heat that used to last only one week per summer.

Admin":3w2jowkg said:
Winter will be here soon enough.

No comment.

Jim":3w2jowkg said:
Summer sucks...period. No snow.

Here's to a short summer and an early and snow-filled return of winter!!

Summer sucks...think snow!!! When is the next ice-age???

I think the residents of the western ski states love summer because, 1)
Heat with relatively low humidity and very little rain. 2) for the must part they are guaranteed snow the following winter. The winters on the east coast have been such a crap shoot. That's my 2cents..

I really enjoy this time of year because we have skiing and summer recreation at the same time. Whitewater rafting on the 4+ Kaweah River and excursions into Sequoia N.P. last weekend. Two weeks from now is the grand finale at Mammoth plus Yosemite with its peak water flow.

One of my former ski partners George Tang moved to New England in 1992. He was an avid windsurfer. One of the many perversities of Eastern weather is that summer is the worst season for wind. The first year there he was windsurfing in a dry suit in Long Island Sound each weekend in January.

Since my average first ski day is Dec. 16 and average last ski day is May 26, Sept. 5 (~Labor Day) is the average "hump" IMHO.

i am with JimG, summer sucks, period. i am all for spring and fall, great seasons each. but i have no appreciation what so ever for summer. that said, i am looking to get one more day of skiing in before packing up the skis :D so for me, summer has not yet begun as i see it. summer is useless to me less for the lack of snow, more for the oppresive heat and humidity. i love hiking, but not when it is 80+ with 80%+ humidity. 60+ dew points blow. outdoor recreation is fun, but not when it is nasty out. i'll take spring and fall for my non-skiing outdoor recreation. summer is all about capitalizing when the weather cooporates with a tolerable day, which is rather rare.

No problems with summer but don?t know if anyone else feels this but spend a lot of time thinking if the snow will return in the east year to year . Doesn?t help matters with news stories predicting the end of eastern winters in 10 years.

Anthony":2t6g3ylg said:
No problems with summer but don?t know if anyone else feels this but spend a lot of time thinking if the snow will return in the east year to year . Doesn?t help matters with news stories predicting the end of eastern winters in 10 years.

I concur with Anthony and I'm tired of worrying about it. Last season I did NOT get my money's worth from my ASC pass. That's why I'm going to UT where summer has a whole lot less humidity (Quote Admin to Riv..) and winters have a whole lot more snow!

Summer's ok where I live, the Finger Lakes of upstate New York. There are some great days after a cold front plows through: tTe air is cool and dry, the sun bright, wildflowers spectacular, the lakes deep and cold and blue. But trouble is, there are lots of simply awful days -- muggy, sticky, buggy, weedy, itchy, and I pine for a nice 20-degree January day or scheme how I could move -- to the Rockies or maybe Alaska. That's what the East is all about. Of course, I grew up in the Southeast where being close to the ocean was the only saving grace. Imagine the hottest, muggiest, nastiest heat wave of the year in the Northeast: Now, imagine that, and worse actually, for four months solid, nonstop. By August, even the ocean's not really cool anymore. That's the South. Florida's probably even worse.

But then fall comes here and it's almost too good to be true. September and October can be outrageous. Winters are hit or miss, though I think we can count on some snow, somewhere, for the forseeable future. It's better than nothing.

So what is it like in Alaska in the summer, anyone? I've heard the interior is pretty intemperate.

Alaska in the summer ='s THE LARGEST EFFING MOSQUITOS KNOWN TO MAN! It sometimes drives the caribou to literally drown themselves trying to get away from them.

Back