skiers edge

wolfer

I can only manage to get in 12-15 days of skiing per year so my fitness level is never what it should be. I especially noticed this last Feb. when I took the steep skiing clinic with Extremely Canadian in Whistler. I have been considering to buy a Skiers Edge exercise machine. Compared to other exercise equipment it seems pretty expensive. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this piece of equipment? Is it worth the money and does it live up to the advertisment hype? Any feedback would be appreciated.

wolfer":1obxrajg said:
I can only manage to get in 12-15 days of skiing per year so my fitness level is never what it should be. I especially noticed this last Feb. when I took the steep skiing clinic with Extremely Canadian in Whistler. I have been considering to buy a Skiers Edge exercise machine. Compared to other exercise equipment it seems pretty expensive. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this piece of equipment? Is it worth the money and does it live up to the advertisment hype? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know tirolerpeter uses the skier's edge alot and really likes it.

Hey TP, help the wolfman out with some feedback.

Hey Wolfer, I don't work for the "Skier's Edge" company, but if they offered me a job selling them I would take it in a minute. I'm sixty years old, and I can ski from first chair to last chair, and not get a burn. There is no doubt in my mind that I can do this only because of my use of the Skier's Edge machine. I bought mine (the basic "Classic Carver") at a ski show around the last week of Oct 2004. I used it for a little over three weeks before I got the first opportunity of that season to get in some turns on Nov 20 at Killington. From the first moment I jumped off the chair at the top of "Rime" I knew something good had happened to me. I not only felt physically strong I felt as if I had already been skiing for several weeks in terms of my stance and rhythm.
I couldn't believe how "centered" I felt on my skis and how easily I could initiate turn after turn, short or long. I was simply amazed. Before my "gushing" turns you off, let me assure you that getting to that point involved some serious work on my part. Like absolutely any other piece of exercise equipment, it is useless if you don't use it. In the summer I try to get in a minimum of 3 work-outs per week. In season I do four to five if I can't get out to the slopes. I don't work out the day before a trip, or the day after.

I got a "deal" on my machine because it was a "show demo." I paid around $1450 for it, and my wife thought I was nuts. If you do consider buying one, make sure you also buy the "Slope Simulator" attachment. If you have seen either a live demo, or viewed their demo video on their web site you may not have seen the Slope Simulator. The machine is excellent without the SS, but it work wonders with it. Without, you get a fantastic aerobic workout that not only works the "ski specific" muscles in your legs, but it also conditions the muscle groups that make "angulation" (it?s what helps you lay your edges over) totally natural and effortless. I now make my turns using both the inside edge of the outside ski, and the outside edge of the inside ski. In fact, if I ?catch an edge? I easily and automatically shift my weight to the ski that is properly set without any drama. With the Slope Simulator you get the added benefit of improved balance because your feet are not only free to swing from side to side, but they are also free to tilt forward and back. Initially it feels awkward (they can be set to limited movement until you get used to the free motion) but after a time you realize how much your balance improves. It is uncanny how this attachment helps you train your muscles so that you can balance without conscious effort. I can literally stand on one foot and put on a sock without holding on to anything. I know it sounds silly, but think about how steady that makes you feel with your foot in a boot locked into your bindings.

My goal at each workout is to do between 2,000 to 3,000 ?turns? on the Edge Machine. I usually do about 100 - 105 turns per minute. A ?turn? is defined as going from the top center of the machine to one side, and back to the center. Two ?turns? is from center to far right back through center to far left, then back to center. I also do 100 -120 ab crunches off the floor, 100 -120 pushups, and 100-120 various upper body exercises using some weights.

Final note: My wife ended up using the machine to rehab her ankle after having broken it and healed. She used a lighter tension setting, and also used the console of our treadmill as a hand support instead of the poles that are provided. Any questions? Please feel free to PM me if you wish. Yes, I like it.

tirolerpeter":2eu8lro2 said:
My goal at each workout is to do between 2,000 to 3,000 ?turns? on the Edge Machine. I usually do about 100 - 105 turns per minute ... I also do 100 -120 ab crunches off the floor, 100 -120 pushups, and 100-120 various upper body exercises using some weights.

You may be 60, but I don't think I'd want to meet you in a dark alley :lol:

thanks, Tirolerpete. Your feedback was very helpful. I'm going to wait until the ski show in Toronto (mid october) before buying. Maybe they'll have show specials or even show demos at a decent price there.

wolfer":8rsikyr1 said:
thanks, Tirolerpete. Your feedback was very helpful. I'm going to wait until the ski show in Toronto (mid october) before buying. Maybe they'll have show specials or even show demos at a decent price there.

Sounds like a plan. Contact the company in Park City UT and find out if they plan to exhibit at the show. They ship the various models out to each show, and then sell them to consumers so that the demo crew does not have to mess with transporting them. My advice is to get there early so that you can not only try them, but close a deal and then arrange to stop by at the end of the show to pick it up.

I don't recall seeing Skier's Edge at the L.A. Ski Show, but I did see it at the NASJA Trade Fair at the Mt. Bachelor meeting in 2000.

Never make assumptions about fitness or ski ability based on age. Looks like admin will get a run for his money when tirolerpeter moves to Utah.

Tony Crocker":kpfrq7hk said:
Looks like admin will get a run for his money when tirolerpeter moves to Utah.

<hack, hack...wheeze, wheeze> Huh? I was planning on resting up in the lodge after, oh, two or max three runs. :roll:

Admin":1olw2zj1 said:
Tony Crocker":1olw2zj1 said:
Looks like admin will get a run for his money when tirolerpeter moves to Utah.

<hack, hack...wheeze, wheeze> Huh? I was planning on resting up in the lodge after, oh, two or max three runs. :roll:

Listen guys, at my age you either use it or lose it very rapidly. A "fitness fiend" friend of mine (age 71 or 72 who hits the gym nearly every day) who has spent his life teaching health classes, and coaching both wrestling and football has told me that "seniors" experience muscle atrophy at a rate 5 to 7 times that of a younger (20's - 30's) person.

BTW, I don't believe the "hack, hack..wheeze, wheez" business one bit. Considering the stuff you guys get to ski day after day, and the constant hiking around at altitude, you have little to worry about.

I will say, that I have not had any "altitude" issues skiing either in CO or UT. I have seen incredibly strong and fit individuals, both old and young experience significant discomfort and outright shortness of breath. I have also seen obviously unfit and poorly conditioned people barely feel any effects. I'm not sure why this happens. Any thoughts out there?

tirolerpeter":3lrrn0to said:
BTW, I don't believe the "hack, hack..wheeze, wheez" business one bit. Considering the stuff you guys get to ski day after day, and the constant hiking around at altitude, you have little to worry about.

'Cept that my four primary food groups are fat, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine.

skiers edge was at the ski show in Toronto last year. I'm assuming that they'll be there again this year. It sounds like I'll really need to get in shape before I ever head out to Utah and run into some of you guys...

wolfer":2os7h540 said:
skiers edge was at the ski show in Toronto last year. I'm assuming that they'll be there again this year.

Yup, I've seen it there every year that I've attended. I always thought it was a gimmick, and not that great. Clearly I'm mistaken.

But now i'm getting really psyched about winter! (Second issue of Powder came in the mail yesterday...)

Like wolfer, personal circumstances (and geography) have often limited the number of ski days that I could get in during a season. Regardless of technique, which also takes repetition to master and which I am always working at, fatigue often overtook me just as I was "getting it." Since I have used the Edge machine, I can focus on the technique issue with barely any concern for fatigue even after many days off the snow. As always, I need a couple of "warm-up" runs or turns just to remind the old bones what they are supposed to be doing. After that, its just pure pleasure. If you are limited to occasional day trips, or can just do that "annual" or odd week or two. Using the machine for a few weeks before hand will allow you to actually enjoy that time, and not have to "ski through the pain." Of course, feeling strong all the time is addictive, so you may just keep at it even when it doesn't snow. I personally do not like exercise for its own sake, I do like feeling good and while other systems or simple "non-equipment based" workouts can accomplish nearly the same "fitness level," the "ski specific" fitness I get, coupled with the pleasant fantasies I can conjure up while "making turns" does best for me. BTW, considering the number of people who buy tons of such equipment, then (as they inevitably do) kind of let it fade, I suspect there is a pretty good "used" machine market. I'll bet there are some bargains out there. You could add the Slope Simulator later if you find a machine without it.

wolfer":vz7owuum said:
skiers edge was at the ski show in Toronto last year. I'm assuming that they'll be there again this year.
I've seen it also at the Ottawa Ski Show, however I'm not sure if they were selling them?

tirolerpeter":fg1qay2w said:
... I'll bet there are some bargains out there. You could add the Slope Simulator later if you find a machine without it.

go to ebay, check for item 320028015756. seems heavily discounted.

Patrick":2x3n05ns said:
wolfer":2x3n05ns said:
I've seen it also at the Ottawa Ski Show, however I'm not sure if they were selling them?

My experience was that there really was no indication that they were interested in selling the demo machines. They were more interested in "writing orders" for shipment to you from the factory. It was only after I spent considerable time there jumping around on the different models, and basically letting them know that I loved what I was experiencing, but just didn't think I was able to spring for the prices that they were quoting, that the sales rep got me aside and mentioned that they sold the demos at the end of the show. That, "got me interested." The discount was substantial. After all, they didn't have to ship it, and all they had to do was help carry it out to my car the evening the show ended. I still have the original packaging so that I can box it up when I move. BTW, if I remember correctly, they do something like a "30 Day" trial period that allows you to ship it back for a refund. Be advised, this thing is pricey, and they are pretty good sales reps. I can't imagine that they do any kind of "volume" sales so the "mark-up" must be substantial.

Jonny D":3pek3wcf said:
tirolerpeter":3pek3wcf said:
... I'll bet there are some bargains out there. You could add the Slope Simulator later if you find a machine without it.

go to ebay, check for item 320028015756. seems heavily discounted.

I just took a look at the item # mentioned. That is a really old rather obsolete model that is no longer manufactured. I wouldn't go for that one. It might not accommodate a "Slope Simulator" and I wonder if a "larger/heavier" skier would find that rather light duty design adequate ? I would pass on it, especially at that price.

tirolerpeter":34hbsdd0 said:
I just took a look at the item # mentioned. That is a really old rather obsolete model that is no longer manufactured. I wouldn't go for that one. It might not accommodate a "Slope Simulator" and I wonder if a "larger/heavier" skier would find that rather light duty design adequate ? I would pass on it, especially at that price.

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification. Think i'll probably stick with swimming to get in shape this year.

Back