bring skis or rent

jasoncapecod

I know this question is premature . I am up to early and bored.
I will be in Utah this Feb and wondering if i should leave my skis home and rent. . I ski on Volkl 6 star.
Thanks for the help

Since airlines consider a set of skis and a boot bag as "one check item" there is no reason not to bring your favorite skis with you. I use a SPORTUBE hard carry case. It protects the skis and is easy to wheel along behind you. SLC airport makes it easy to pick up your skis at the baggage claim area. If there is a significant (12" or more) "powder dump" while you are there, just rent a pair of "Fat Boys" (wide powder boards). If I can't manage to move out there before this season gets going, I will actually be taking two pair with me. My 164cm Volant Platinums, and my 183 cm Volant Power Karves (They have very wide tips and tails and work well in powder). I just bought a "double" SPORTUBE to carry them. I am giving my daughter the "single" so she can travel more easily with her new skis. Rentals cost anywhere from $30 - $40/day, so why not use that for the lift ticket. There are many sources to rent from (especially if you stay down in Sandy, SLC, or Bountiful. BTW, don't even dream of not taking your own boots, unless of course they hurt you, and are really beat. Multiple days in someone elses sweaty boots doesn't appeal to me.

jasoncapecod":35894qpr said:
I know this question is premature . I am up to early and bored.
I will be in Utah this Feb and wondering if i should leave my skis home and rent. . I ski on Volkl 6 star.
Thanks for the help

Sept & Oct are the cruelest months to skiers. I'd love to take off to the southern hemisphere during late summer, but I'm still making up for the time off skiing last season. So, like you,I'm stuck for a while.

We never rent skis except when we want to demo models that we might eventually buy. If you are looking for new skis, check out the on-slope shops at Alta. You can check out as many skis as you can during the day.

We normally travel very light--except when skiing. On ski trips our luggage weighs 180+ lbs! These comprise two double ski bags (each with powder & standard skis); an equipment bag containing boots, clothing, avi equipment, etc; and a large normal suitcase. We use soft sided double ski bags because they can also hold some clothing, packs, etc. Handling skis at most airports is easy as carts are usually available.

Do not overpack your bags!! The airlines usually weigh the skis carefully and are always ready to charge extra for overweight bags. Most airlines now limit you to 50 lbs/bag although some may still allow the older 70 lb limit.

The skis are conveniently checked at the curb with the sky caps. We have never had skis damaged in transit. Skis can get lost in transit--although we have never had this problem except on one return flight.

Of course, any sudden rule changes imposed by TSA could obsolete these comments in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Jeff

A few comments for those not accustomed to flying lately. I'm at the airport 2 times per week these days.

look'n4powder":1fbvhjo4 said:
Do not overpack your bags!! The airlines usually weigh the skis carefully and are always ready to charge extra for overweight bags. Most airlines now limit you to 50 lbs/bag although some may still allow the older 70 lb limit.

And that can be very, very pricey if you get charged over weight! On top of that, some airlines -- especially those in financial trouble -- have dropped their limits below 50 lbs.

look'n4powder":1fbvhjo4 said:
The skis are conveniently checked at the curb with the sky caps.

Some airports have done away with curbside checkin completely due to security concerns, so make sure your airport still offers it before you really count on it. And American Airlines has even started charging for the service here in SLC -- $2/bag IIRC -- in addition to the standard gratuity. I don't know if that applies elsewhere, but I imagine that it does. One benefit of curbside checkin, though, is that a healthy tip often gets the staff to look the other way if your bag is only a bit over weight.

I tend to agree with Look'n - I'm not a big fan of renting while I'm traveling, as I feel that the hassle of bringing the skis is less than the hassle of renting.

Admin":3rm8pwed said:
A few comments for those not accustomed to flying lately. I'm at the airport 2 times per week these days.

look'n4powder":3rm8pwed said:

And that can be very, very pricey if you get charged over weight! On top of that, some airlines -- especially those in financial trouble -- have dropped their limits below 50 lbs.

look'n4powder":3rm8pwed said:
The skis are conveniently checked at the curb with the sky caps.

50 lbs is now pretty much the norm both for domestic and international flights.

I was surprised to learn that American only charges $25 to check a 70 pound bag to Chile. The charges seem to be all over the map so it's good to find out what the airline policy is for your particular flight.

look'n4powder":dkfp6k37 said:
We never rent skis (when travelling).

I always bring my own. A few years ago, I would even travel with two pairs.

look'n4powder":dkfp6k37 said:
On ski trips our luggage weighs 180+ lbs! These comprise two double ski bags (each with powder & standard skis); an equipment bag containing boots, clothing, avi equipment, etc; and a large normal suitcase. We use soft sided double ski bags because they can also hold some clothing, packs, etc. Handling skis at most airports is easy as carts are usually available.

I never checked how much the total weight for my luggage was. I generally have one huge bag + a ski bag. This winter I was surprise about that *&?&*?8 over 50lbs rule. I went skiing and had my ski boots in the bag!!! I was only charged when I left from SLC at the end of the trip. On the last trip with the wife and two kids, we had one suitcase, that same large bag, a boots bag (with my and my daughter's ski boots), ski bag + car seat for the youngest. To my wife surprise, the over 50lbs was per bag. She was pissed... :x Yes, let's give each kid a 45lbs pound bag and carry as many bags as possible, instead of the two normal bag + the 2 others for the boots and skis. Yes, the huge bag I also carry with me was over 54lbs, we reajusted to make it at 50.0 with a 50.0 suitcase. :? That's was really close. The cost for over 50lbs is $50US per bag over. :x Sometime it doesn't make sense to have over 50lbs/bag to travel, however there has be some logic used.

I might be mistaken, but that over 50lbs isn't use by Air Canada. I was never close to paying anything extra when I leave Canada. That last flight out of Portland to Vancouver was a shared Air Canada/United flight.

Since airlines consider a set of skis and a boot bag as "one check item" there is no reason not to bring your favorite skis with you. I use a SPORTUBE hard carry case. It protects the skis and is easy to wheel along behind you.

I've had the same travel bag since maybe a 1990 trip to Europe. Not cheap material, pretty solid, however it might be a bit long now a days as I can fit two pairs of 215cm skis in it. :lol: What I always do is pad the ski bag with gear.

On my August/September I had my ski + my daughter 105 skis + 2 set of poles + my running shoes + 2 winter ski pants & 2 ski jackets (daughter's and mine) + 1 fleece + 1 sleeveless vest). Also helps reduce the weight of the main bag.

However a tube for the skis isn't a bad idea either.

Helpfull as always.. I will drag my wife and 2 kids equip out there. If i am lucky enough to get a dump then i will rent some pow skis.

jasoncapecod":3j0ald1h said:
If i am lucky enough to get a dump then i will rent some pow skis.

That option is highly recommended. I've skied the 6-star, and while it was a tiger on the groomed once you get it up past warp speed, I thought that it's performance left a lot to be desired in the loose stuff. And that was a few years ago before phats got phatter.

I've skied the 6-star, and while it was a tiger on the groomed once you get it up past warp speed
I can't agree more... I spend most of my season skiing Hunta Mtn. Most of those days are durning the week.

The 50lb. limit applies everywhere, but enforcement varies.

Going to Egypt in March we were at 50 lb, but coming back we had added some souvenirs. No problem in Cairo, but in Paris they checked, and we had to remove some heavier items and cram them into our carry-ons.

Same situation to NZ/Fiji, but they didn't hassle us in either place coming back even though we had added weight. And how's this for NZ: Our flight from Queenstown left at 8:50AM, and Ski Express picked us up at the hotel (~10 min. from airport) at 8:15 with no problem!

Always bring your own skis if you can. I learned that the hard way in Las Lenas. Putting other stuff in your ski bag is no longer recommended. Some airlines don't allow it, and since TSA will open and inspect the ski bag they may not be careful in repacking it.

Tony Crocker":ctxy8p0w said:
The 50lb. limit applies everywhere, but enforcement varies.
Notice that Air Canada (just checked the webiste) has that limit. :roll: I guess that I fall in the enforcement varies category. Personally, I find that if you follow the rule carefully (as stated above). I would end up with, let's say, 2 bags per person + ski equipement + car seat = 8 bags + the 2 extra items instead of the 2 bags + ski equipement and car seat. Doesn't make sense to me. :roll:

Tony Crocker":ctxy8p0w said:
Putting other stuff in your ski bag is no longer recommended. Some airlines don't allow it, and since TSA will open and inspect the ski bag they may not be careful in repacking it.

Yes, my ski bag was open, let's see at least 6 times in the last 15 months. On the last trip: Just going west it was opened in front of me flying out of Ottawa, in Vancouver during the transit.

:x :x :x
Air Canada":ctxy8p0w said:
Skis and skates (snow or water)
One set of snow skis (containing one pair of skis, poles and boots). Or one set of water skis ( a pair, or a single slalom). These sets are considered as one piece of checked baggage and no other item(s) can be carried in the package . The skis and poles must be packaged in a rigid and/or hardshell container specifically designed for shipping. If otherwise packaged, the item(s) will only be accepted with a limited release form (to be signed at check-in), releasing Air Canada of liability.

WTF???? When did that change? It's not like I'm the person crossing security in Vancouver with a set of 10 in long garden scissors. :shock: He was surprise that he couldn't bring that on the plane, this is when we couldn't even bring water and liquid alert.

Patrick":2jz4knn3 said:
WTF???? When did that change?

When the airlines started losing money even faster than normal. Just about every one has been tightening baggage restrictions to turn them into a revenue source.

Tony Crocker":2dh106qr said:
Putting other stuff in your ski bag is no longer recommended. Some airlines don't allow it, and since TSA will open and inspect the ski bag they may not be careful in repacking it.

Quite right!! But the airlines have not been too sticky about counting skis as long as the bag doesn't weigh over 50 lbs. Until we incur charges, we will carry our usual 2 pairs/(person-bag). Last year I have heard stories of AA in Denver charging extra when they found socks packed in a boot bag. But we had no problem.

Although this can all change, airline aggression towards passengers can be very counter productive--particularly for pleasure travelers. If the airlines make traveling hell, then customers will stop traveling. Even now, I will drive 8 hours rather than fly to mid-west destinations that I always used to fly to. For us that's about 30 lost flights/year!

As far as TSA goes, our experience indicates that they always inspect ski bags. Last season we always arrived at our destination and found at least one ski bag containing a TSA calling card. Usually the equipment bag [boots, packs, avi gear (sans transceivers), etc.] also contained an inspection card. But our gear always arrived intact. (On the other hand, on three other non-ski trips last year we had items pilfered, but I just assumed these items were lifted by thieves among the baggage handlers.)

Cheers,
Jeff

Tony Crocker":1t6esatw said:
.... And how's this for NZ: Our flight from Queenstown left at 8:50AM, and Ski Express picked us up at the hotel (~10 min. from airport) at 8:15 with no problem!

WOW!! Your story feels like a flashback to early 1970's travel. In contrast, we flew from Paris a couple weeks ago and had to pass through six checkpoints inside the airport. At the flight gate they slowly passed each of us through a metal detector and then hand searched our luggage--usually dumping most of the contents onto a bench. The security agent almost confiscated my extra contacts, which were in their orignal commercially-sealed casewith 2-3 ml of fluid. The last line took 1/2 hour--and we were early. Late arriving passengers stood in line much longer.

Tony Crocker":1t6esatw said:
Always bring your own skis if you can. I learned that the hard way in Las Lenas. ...

This advice goes double for powder skis. On powder days they disappear by late afternoon the day before. We always carry our own.

Cheers,
Jeff

look'n4powder":1q3mgh7t said:
Tony Crocker":1q3mgh7t said:

Quite right!! But the airlines have not been too sticky about counting skis as long as the bag doesn't weigh over 50 lbs.

My ski bag generally weights about 35lbs. Mind you I listed above what I put in it.

Until we incur charges, we will carry our usual 2 pairs/(person-bag). Last year I have heard stories of AA in Denver charging extra when they found socks packed in a boot bag. But we had no problem.

WTF (again)???? If someone would charge me for that I would go balistic. :evil: :bs: Prior to this summer last trip to Oregon, my boots would always be in my main bag. However this time, it wasn't really in the main bag, but more like the boot bag was inside another smaller bag with my daughter's boots in the sidepockets. Once in Oregon, we eventually emptied the ski bag of all clothes and put then in the small bag while taking out my own boot bag from the inside.

As far as TSA goes, our experience indicates that they always inspect ski bags. Last season we always arrived at our destination and found at least one ski bag containing a TSA calling card.

As I mentioned above. (I don't recall seeing one of those TSA cards this time inserted in my ski bag on that last trip - mind you I open the bag myself for inspection in Ottawa then again at custom in Vancouver). I definately remember a TSA card each way for my 3 previous trips (even if I opened my bag at point of departure).

June 05: Ottawa-Toronto-Denver-Reno and back
Jan/Feb: Ottawa-Detroit-Minneapolis-Bozeman and return SLC-Minneapolis-Detroit-Ottawa
June/July 06: Ottawa-Toronto-Denver-Las Vegas and back toward LV-Montreal-Ottawa.
August/Sept 06: Ottawa-Vancouver-Portland and back. Don't think I got any this time, but I might have?

That's makes at least 6 TSA cards.

We had no problems with carrying a "double" SPORTUBE" with two pair inside, or a "soft" bag that had one pair of skis and also a lot of clothing packed around the skis. That was on two trips (one at the end of January, and one at the end of February) last season from JFK to SLC on Jet Blue. We had neither packing or weight issues. I will certainly be checking with Jet Blue regarding any possible changes. BTW, the hard cases (we also had a single hard case) were definitely opened and checked out. Didn't look like they did more that "sniff" the soft bag.

I've always used a soft bag and packed the rest of it with my ski pants, gloves, helmet & so on.

I wonder if on any future trip this is going to pose a problem, in light of the new Air Canada regulations.

Man. I wonder if the airlines are ever gonig to realize that making the customer experience worse isn't going to get them more business.

Jonny D":xlgj3rfn said:
Man. I wonder if the airlines are ever gonig to realize that making the customer experience worse isn't going to get them more business.

Dude, no offense, but exploding airplanes aren't great for business either. I'm no defender of the airlines by any stretch, but you can't blame them for checking things as carefully as they can.

I want to see long lines, bags being opened and checked, and security everywhere when I fly...it means I have a good shot of arriving where I'm going in one piece.

JimG.":2bdbigzk said:
Dude, no offense, but exploding airplanes aren't great for business either. I'm no defender of the airlines by any stretch, but you can't blame them for checking things as carefully as they can.

Of course. What I believe is bothersome to Jonny, and to me, too, is trying to squeeze every nickel out of passengers for services they used to provide for the price of your ticket. Like lowering the baggage weights and disallowing the packaging of other items with skis (which has nothing to do with security concerns). Like skycap service for only the price of a gratuity.

Remember meals on airlines?

One thing that really got my goat was Frontier charging $5 per flight segment for the same DirecTV service that JetBlue touts as a free service. On my flight from SLC to Houston that would've been $20 to watch CNN! :roll:

Jonny D":1ey1h3tr said:
I've always used a soft bag and packed the rest of it with my ski pants, gloves, helmet & so on.

I wonder if on any future trip this is going to pose a problem, in light of the new Air Canada regulations.

It's only with this discussion on weight of bags that I checked the Air Canada's website. I am not sure that my gear bag weren't over 50 lbs when we left on our last trip, but if it was, they didn't charge me for me. You read how my ski bag was packed in my trips this year. The last two were with Air Canada, I didn't have a problem with that. (Mind you I also flight into the US with an expired passport (without a birth certficat on the last trip) :roll: ).

Admin":1ey1h3tr said:
Of course. What I believe is bothersome to Jonny, and to me, too, is trying to squeeze every nickel out of passengers for services they used to provide for the price of your ticket. Like lowering the baggage weights and disallowing the packaging of other items with skis (which has nothing to do with security concerns).

Same here, It has nothing to go about greater security. I know that Canadian added a temporary extra-fee (tax) on plane ticket related to security and then there are the airport improvements fees. That what's I was muttering to my wife in line at the United counter about the $50US per bag over 50lbs even if we had only 2 real bags for 4 of us.

My daughter was noticing that in the US (she said it, not me) how you had to pay for everything. $3 for a cart at the Portland airport, when it's free in Montreal, Toronto or Ottawa.

Admin":1ey1h3tr said:
Remember meals on airlines?

What's that? The worst part is when take three flights and have little time between flight to actually eat a real meal (ie. Ottawa-Toronto-Denver-Las Vegas).

Back