Pros and Cons: Trekker versus AT

Trekker versus AT - which one suits you better?

• Trekker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AT

• None of the above, I Telemark

• Showshoes

• Total voters

Patrick

Okay this is begging for its own topic.

Trekker versus AT.

Pros, Cons and the Whys!!!

Here are a few quotes from the last two weeks.

J.Spin":qvwwdomm said:
I said we liked them a lot, as they have thus far (several years) been extremely reliable, and while a Trekker setup is not as light as options like AT or Tele, both the cost and complications of the equipment are minimal.

I believe that this would reflect Lucky's opinion.

Admin":qvwwdomm said:
Patrick":qvwwdomm said:
Note to Santa: Treekers and Skins would have been very useful on days like today.

Why go halfway? Ditch the heavy Trekkers and go AT.

Tony Crocker":qvwwdomm said:
I've only done it once, but admin is correct that AT is the way to go if you're going to make a habit of this.

Admin and Tony seem to favour AT gear. I know there a few outhere that have one or the other.

Which one do you prefer for none lift assisted skiing? And Why?

I have used Trekkers once and I own Fritschi bindings. My experience with Trekkers was just OK; that is, going uphill on Trekkers was much much easier than trying to hike in fixed heels. The Trekker set up is much heavier because downhill boots are more than a pound heavier than AT boots and the DIN+Trekker bindings are much heavier than AT bindings. I found the Trekkers to be annoying initially because I could unintentionally twist the boot/Trekkers assembly out of the DIN bindings during mid-stride. Practice improved on my technique and the problem abated. In short, I would recommend them to someone who rarely needs free heels.

Last year I picked up an AT rig comprising Fritschi bindings and Garmont Adrenalins. Lighter AT set-ups are available, but this one is very rugged. I have skied my AT's only in deeper powder and on windpack. In fixed heel mode it feels the same as my DIN skis. The freeheel mode feels more natural than the Trekkers. I do wonder if the complexity of the AT bindings will cause them to rock slightly or vibrate on hardpack. But I haven't tried them on harder surfaces yet.

I am also curious about how the newer Naxo AT binding compares with the Fritschi's.

Cheers,
Jeff

AT Pros: Dedicated for the purpose, reasonably dependable (and the use of Fritschis makes them possible for everyday lift-served, too), boots are more comfortable for skinning, boots are easier to walk around or even hike in, weight is lighter, no boot-out as lookin' noted, ...

AT Cons: Cost.

To address Lookin's concerns, like most Fritschi owners I developed a slight bit of play in the heel lock-down after about 50 days of lift-served, but it doesn't affect the skiing in the slightest - it's only a minor annoyance felt while my feet dangle from a chairlift.

After wearing AT boots for two seasons I'm never going back to Alpines.

And IMO Trekkers, while they work, are heavy and clanky. I'd only recommend them to the most casual skinner for very, very short skins.

i will preface my opinion to state that i have never used trekkers.

that said, i see almost no reason for trekkers except for the most occasional use (for an eastern example: someone that goes up to tuckerman ravine twice a year and wants the weight off their back). anything more than the most casual use means that you are into earning your turns, and if you are serious about it, you might as well be serious about your gear because you are going to get the AT eventually any ways, why waste money on trekkers? people may site being short on cash. i guess that is an excuse, but even if you are short on cash, you gotta find someway to connect the dots to save yourself money in the long term. trekkers are way to expensive to only get a few days use. but cost can be the only valid excuse, imo. just pony up the money and go for it and you'll be glad you did. go with a binder that accepts alpine boots and get a cheap used ski to mount from ebay.

Admin":2fmhn7nk said:
AT Pros: Dedicated for the purpose, reasonably dependable (and the use of Fritschis makes them possible for everyday lift-served, too), boots are more comfortable for skinning, boots are easier to walk around or even hike in, weight is lighter, no boot-out as lookin' noted, ...

AT Cons: Cost.

To address Lookin's concerns, like most Fritschi owners I developed a slight bit of play in the heel lock-down after about 50 days of lift-served, but it doesn't affect the skiing in the slightest - it's only a minor annoyance felt while my feet dangle from a chairlift.

After wearing AT boots for two seasons I'm never going back to Alpines.

And IMO Trekkers, while they work, are heavy and clanky. I'd only recommend them to the most casual skinner for very, very short skins.

This sums it up for me...in fact, I switched to Garmont Adrenalins the same time Marc did and I use them for everyday skiing too...on the east coast.

I love the Adrenalins because you have the added flexibility of being able to switch the soles from AT rocker soles to DIN style alpine soles. So I can use my regular bump skis on days when I'm strictly lift served and then switch over to the AT soles in about 10 minutes if I decide to tour. It's just a matter of getting my skis with the Fritschis out of the car or locker.

Cost of AT gear is an issue. I've found the Fritschis to be bomb proof, but I too have developed the play in the heel lock, nothing major. And that's with about 90-100 days on the gear. The toe pivot when in tour mode can be an issue too...I've seen Fritschis break in that area. But none of these things are any more a problem than you might see with a regular alpine binding.

I'm replacing the liners and AT soles after 2 seasons of hard skiing in the Adrenalins. Those 2 replacements are costing me about $300 on proform including the refitting cost from my bootfitter. Not cheap.

But so worth it.

I should point out that although my Fritschi heel play developed around day 50, they've now got over 100 on 'em, too, and they're not any worse now than they were at 50.

Hmmmm...AT gear.

Isn't Randonnee French for "Can't Telemark"?

That's a K2 slogan I liked.

I telemark. I would love an AT setup. I am not a fan of catching a lot of air on telemark skis...small sweet spot for landings. However, I do not need more toys.

Back