Checking Skis on Airplanes

bigprocess

a few months ago i posted here about a trip out west. i've got it all planned out and the cold temperatures here in wisconsin have really started to make me ancy.

i've been trying to think of mistakes that beginner destination skiers might make so i can avoid them. i got to wondering about the most important part of my travels....getting my equipment there, and in one piece.

i don'to have a board bag-is one really necessary? has anybody thought of a good way to pack up a snowboard before it gets thrown in with all the other bags under the plane? should i take my bindings off? wrap it in newspaper? i have no idea, but i'm not thrilled about the prospect of purchasing a bag at this point. any ideas would be welcomed.

honestly, you need to buy a board bag, and a good one. From traveling with my board somewhat often i have learned that the baggage carriers are not friendly to the ski bags. I took a trip to New Zeland this summer, and when i got to Queenstown, my brand new $150 Burton bag had a huge rip all the way down the side (Probably a manufacturing error, but still.) Anyway i really dont see a way in getting around buying a bag, maybe a huge amount of bubble rap might work, but its still not going to do much.

I can't agree with Judz more. Buy a padded bag. Suck it up, you'll need it, and you'll use it in the future because this won't be your first destination trip.

Remember those old Samsonite commercials where they just throw baggage around? That's what the luggage handlers do. They don't care. So get one with thick padding to protect your gear.

Frankly, I'll never own a ski bag without wheels again. It sure makes getting around airports easier. And you can pack clothing in the bag with your board (if the airline allows it, some are picky these days) which not only protects your board, but also gives you extra capacity. Just be careful about weight restrictions.

Check out Snowshack for a good selection at decent prices with good service. A disclaimer: that is a commission-generating link for us, but the owner is a good guy I know personally, and I'm also a customer.

You can get dirt cheap bags for $10-15. I picked one up at L.A. Ski Show for my younger son. But the more you travel, the more you'll appreciate the wheels and sturdy construction.

Back