Getting a job as a patroller

Hello everyone! I've been reading these forums for a while now and have finally decided to post. Here goes:

I'm looking for input on getting a job as a patroller... On a snowboard. In Colorado. I know that Keystone hires boarders, but I don't know of anywhere else. I'd be totally happy to work at Keystone, but I was just wondering if there is anywhere else I can/should apply.

I'd also be interested to know what people think my chances are of getting hired with only 2 seasons under my belt. I got in about 35 days last season and hope to get in 50+ this season. I can ride everything in most resorts, but its pretty apparent I'm new to boarding on anything harder than a single black. I'm also not so good at the bumps yet. Hopefully I'll get a lot better this season though.

As far as medical experience, I'm an ER nurse. I imagine that my medical knowledge is a bit ahead of the pack, and hopefully enough to overcome the 2 obstacles above.

First of all, welcome! Glad that you've decided to post.

To address your specific questions, the answers will vary depending on whether a mountain's patrol is pro-only or a mix of pros and volunteers, and whether or not it's a National Ski Patrol System (NSPS)-affiliated patrol.

That said, a patroller needs to be capable of running a sled down anything accessible by lift at the resort. Period. There's no getting around that fact for a regular patroller.

That said, many NSPS-affiliated patrols have what's known as an Auxiliary Patroller position, which is perfect for someone with your medical background. A patrol may leverage an Auxiliary Patroller's background and experience while that patroller gets their skiing/riding capabilities up to snuff for a win-win situation. The Auxiliary Patroller generally has all of the same rights and responsibilities as a regular patroller, except that they don't run sleds.

You may find out more by contacting the Patrol Director at any mountains you're considering working at, and also note that the National Ski Patrol System is headquartered right near you in Lakewood, Colo., should you wish to contact them.

Good luck!

Marc (ex-Jay Peak patroller)

Yeah, let me clarify. I want to quit my job and spend the entire winter boarding. I imagine that means I'd have to get good enough to take a sled down anything. That's basically my goal for this season, to get that much better. I'm just not sure how feasible that is.

Last season I went from the Bunny Slope to Double Blacks (with some falls). I figure this season I need to go from there to riding Double Blacks and Extreme Terrain without falling.

Back