Where to take a beginner in So. CA?

baldyskier

My 10 year old daughter has been cross-country skiing a few times, but I want to take her downhill skiing. Anyone have suggestions on good places to go for beginners in So. CA?
I assume I won't get in much valuable skiing myself, so I'm more focused on a place that will work for her, including decent beginner terrain, lessons, and not too long a drive from L.A.
I'm considering going on Monday (MLK holiday), so I guess crowds may be another consideration.
(and snow conditions, since this has been a weak season so far)

thanks.

Baldyskier

Unfortunately due to the drive involved, in weak natural snow seasons Big Bear is by far the preferred location if you must ski local. Reasons:
1) Big Bear has the lake as a water source for snowmaking. With several cold spells over the past 3 weeks both Snow Summit and Bear Mt. are now 90% open. Mt. High is 50% open, and that is about the best they can do in the absence of natural snow.
2) Big Bear has a colder and drier climate and thus can make snow more often than the other SoCal areas closer to the ocean.
3) Snow Summit has a multi-decade history of professional management. This shows most conspicuously in the snowmaking and grooming, but also in such areas as ticket limits, ski patrol, and very likely quality of ski instruction.

I can provide a few recommendations to make your trip less of an ordeal on weekends/holidays. You should reserve tickets ahead. I believe Summit has an attractively priced lift and lesson package for beginners. If you can get the package without rentals, do that to avoid another long wait. Get rentals quicker from Roy's, a chain of rental shops, 2 in Big Bear and one in Arrowbear just east of Running Springs. I rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes at Arrowbear when renting snowboards for my kids. You should call them to see if they rent skis, or you could rent skis from a shop near your home. You need to be at Snow Summit before 8AM on weekends to get parking at the base. Otherwise you will be using a shuttle bus from the bottom of the hill.

Back