SUMMER SKIING AT WHISTLER

jasoncapecod

I am arriving in Vancouver 2 days before i go my Alaskan cruise.. Is it worth it to go up to Whistler .. I think my kids might get a kick out skiing in July.

If the Horstman Glacier is reserved for the camps in the morning and the public is not allowed to ski until noon, I would say it's marginal. If they will let you up in the morning before the snow is goo, then go for it.

jasoncapecod":1vki4r3v said:
Is it worth it to go up to Whistler .. I think my kids might get a kick out skiing in July.

I would say YES, the drive is spectacular. You're already in Vancouver and I'm sure the kids (and maybe you too) will love the novelty of skiing in Summer in the mountains of the West.

Tony Crocker":1vki4r3v said:
If the Horstman Glacier is reserved for the camps in the morning and the public is not allowed to ski until noon, I would say it's marginal. If they will let you up in the morning before the snow is goo, then go for it.

Tony, jason isn't talking about a trip centered around Whistler, it would be a side trip, only 2 spectacular hour and 70 miles away from Vancouver. I don't know jason or his kids, but I'm pretty sure they have travelled less than you. If they haven't skied in the Summer or been out West, the day at Whistler is definitely worth it.

As long as the weather is good, Whistler is a go.... The big question will they be renting equipment ???
After our trip to Utah this past feb my kids are now hooked on western skiing..

jasoncapecod":3vtyg3bb said:
The big question will they be renting equipment ???
I would think so.

Lucky Luke made a Summer trip out West a number of years ago and skied one day at Blackcomb (I believe his Avatar is from that trip).

1- u can rent skis/boards all summer.. it's a pretty easy process.. it's all based out of the blackcomb base lodge next to merlins bar... to get to this lodge , a 5 minute walk from the closest parking lot near blackcomb way is required...then there are various lots/parking options moving outward but the walk is still not bad.. we walk from our hotel every summer ( delta wistler village suites ) with full day packs every morning in about 10 minutes.. we cut through that closest lot to the lodge and depending on what is going on that day/week, the lot starts to fill up... at 7 am it is usually 80% open.. by 9, it is usually 80% filled... it there is a big event like the bike fest, it fills up quickly in the early am.. i would think if there are no major events, you would be able to get a spot if you were there by 9....they upload the public to ski at 11am...the lift to upload is about a 500 foot walk from where you would get rental skis, so u are not draggin your skis all over the place... a daily summer ski ticket gets u access to the first lift at 11am... u ride 2 lifts of about 2000 vert ft each and take a 6 minute bus ride around the side of the mountain to the final uploading lift that is about another 2000 vert.. when you reach the top , there is a small lodge/ shelter with food / bathrooms... u walk about 100 feet tot an exit tunnel which puts you onto a cat track that drops into the glacier... the glacier ( in the summer ) is divided into 2 halfs ( for simplicity sake , call it uppper and lower... mostly flat terrain on the lower and more freestyle on the upper.. both section are accessed by a t bar and the t bar that takes u out of the glacier for the ride back down is the lower t bar....
the trade off- the later you go the more terrain there is for you to access as there are less camps ....the later you go, the sketchier the snow gets in the glacier and the terrain actually can shrink... in the bowl u will have ( depending on the weather and how the summer went) access to some mushy flats- maybe some bump lanes on the top part abandoned by any camps and maybe a few rails or boxes to slide in what they call the public park.... you can pick you way around any camps terrain/hits that are left over starting around 1pm...some are better than others at policing their terrain...use your heads, don't cut off anyones line and you should be ok... the kids should be in relatively good shape and have experience skiing spring snow that is heavy , as the cat track down into the glacier is usually mush by noon when you will actually off load the top lift... if you have never rode a t bar it can be intimidating and maybe even a work out ... don't worry if the kids fall down trying to get the hang of it...but be aware it really is the only way out of the glacier and physically you have to be able to do it....the snow to actually lap on is like anything... it depends on the weather on the day you go up....our crew has been going out for 7 years now for 20 days straight on snow/camp.. usually about the 10th of july through closing which this year is sunday july 29th... we usually get about 5 days of fog/snow/rain and about 15 or so days of sun or part sun.. so it is a gamble to some extent...between rentals and a daily public ticket u are looking at about 75 per person.. they spin the last lower lift till 3pm...by the time u get on that lift.. down load the top lift.. get on the bus and download the 2 last lifts to the base ( if u go to the last 3pm lift) you are walking out into the rental shop at about 4:15pm.. u will get almost 3 hours of skiing in during the day if you go from first lift up for the public till the last lift out of the glacier.. i would do it....but your talking about someone who now has evolved into enjoying skiing more in july than i do in jan and feb and march.. if u want more details , pm me with any questions

Great detail info from joegm. $75 for noon to 3PM skiing in July (plus at least 2 hours getting up and down) still sounds marginal to me. I realize jasoncapecod is going to be there anyway before his cruise, so maybe why not for the novelty factor. But as one who has skied up to 20K a few times in July at the right time of day (8AM to 1PM) I'm not that impressed with this setup for the public. Compare to Frankontour's reports from Timberline in late July last year for example.

One Whistler summer activity jasoncapecod's kids might enjoy is the kayak along the winding stream between the two lakes.

i think tony is correct... there really is a big difference between having morning access and just having the public asscess... i still think it is worth it for a day.. but for anyone to say they are goingt out there to ski for a week just on their own with no connections to a camp.. it would not be worth it....for the day though.. a good time you will have

joegm":2yn0iyi2 said:
i still think it is worth it for a day.. but for anyone to say they are goingt out there to ski for a week just on their own with no connections to a camp.. it would not be worth it....for the day though.. a good time you will have

I totally agree with Joe on this, but like Joe stated, you're only going for one day of skiing, so GO FOR IT.

Kayaking is good, but not confined to the West. Summer skiing is.

I am trying to find a very unique activity.. Something that they can't get back east. I am also looking into some mega zip line at Whistler..
Still all is contingent on the fickle B.C. weather...

Despite the lack of vertical and quirky accessibility, I would still summer ski at Whistler. A unique experience.

BC weather is pretty consistently nice in mid-summer.

However, I would pass if it is socked in and tour Vancouver itself.

We love Whistler. However, we haven't skied there in the Summer...only spring. (including this year) So, I can't comment on the summer conditions.

I did want to mention, if you decide not to ski, Vancouver Island is AMAZING. We rented a float plane for a 1/2 day. We went hiking in places, at the time (about 8 years ago), could only be reached by float plane, 2+ day hike, or by boat. It was truely an experience that I will never forget. The huge trees, unique mosses, etc. were absolutely breathtaking. It was truely untouched, pristine beauty. It was expensive, but, totally worth it to my husband and I. I doubt there would be anything like it in the east.

They also have whale watching tours that are pretty cool, but I don't know when the whales are most prevalent. I think they do the tours all year; but, depending on the time of the year, you may or may not see any. (Some whales are there all year, but at certain times they have more.) When we did it, they said we only had about a 40% chance of finding whales. We didn't see any, but we did see porposes, sea lions, bald eagles (lots!), and a lot of other neat wild life.

That said....I know my kids would want to ski, regardless of the conditions!

Back