Crazy, who's crazy???

Patrick

Okay, Tony has put down the challenge.

Here are some of his statements made in previous posts...

Tony Crocker":1gjb9h0w said:
Patrick disputes admin's and my contention that his level of addiction is greater than ours?????

Tony Crocker":1gjb9h0w said:
When I was visiting admin in SLC, we agreed that Patrick's level of addiction was even worse than ours

I'm crazy, I've admitted it. See last year's quote...

but I'm not the only one here that posts on FTO.

Frankontour":1gjb9h0w said:
Lucky Luke":1gjb9h0w said:
Patrick":1gjb9h0w said:
I think I need to see a psychologist about my skiing addiction. :? Maybe a few of us that get together and get a group discount.
I'm in! :roll:

Me too ! in Montreal ?

I don't dispute that I'm crazy, however I wouldn't say that I'm alone in this category.

Here is a quick selection of some memorable posts or clues indicating serious mental disorder in this forum.

Let's start with Tony...

He's been tracking his vertical feet skied and powder vertical. Started comparing and compiling Admin stats also. This is without saying that he collects snow accumulation from a series of ski areas across North America. He has more ski trips which require air travel in one year than the average skier has in 10 years. I believe he skied in Utah, Colorado, PNW, BC and Alaska this year. The guy isn't even retired yet.

Admin was mentioned in the quote...

Yeah, he started this excellent website...need I say more. :p One report? Okay...

Admin getting some early September turns at Snowbird

My good friend Lucky Luke... skied the Chic Chocs on solo trip (twice). The first trip was after a cancelled drive from Quebec to Mammoth for one week trip (I said no).

Here is my favorite crazy TR from Luc...

Lucky Luke in the Bromont's backcountry. Fresh snow with no base.

Frankontour....we'll, this guy used be everywhere. Posting like a madman on FTO, Zoneski, T4T, SKIVT, etc etc. He's calm down now, he pretty much limits his posts to ZSki. As for the crazy stuff, just look at the archives...I didn't know what to choose.

Here is a pic of his last TR. Skiing the remains of the snowpark at Mt.Avila on June 3rd.

Riverc0il. Another prolific writing on number of ski forum, FTO, snowjournal, AZ, T4T...plus he has his own ski website TheSnowWay.com. Also a crazy skier. Ski, hike for turns from October to sometimes July...

River at Bolton in October 05

Tucks in early July 05

Tucks in late June 06

Salida...what could I say more. Hardcore. Here is a sample...

Salida at Mount Washington and Cannon on the same day in October 06.

Chic Chocs and Killington June 1-3

This is another totally crazy report by Gwest

GWest skiing Alta in September 05

Crazyness existed in the old FTO. Here is a classic by Lftgly. He doesn't post often, but when he does...classic tours in the Whites that just get me tired thinking of what he did.

Lftgly's report from Mt.Washington in August 01

Here is an old report by Chromer. Where is Chromer now?

SO I WOULDN'T SAY THAT I'M THE ONLY ONE CRAZY HERE...

Nice to have some friends in the asylum. :D

Attachments

• Frank at Avila in june 07.jpg
    Frank at Avila in june 07.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 13,965
  • alta_sept5.jpg
    alta_sept5.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 13,957
  • 062506tuckerman06.jpg
    062506tuckerman06.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 13,972
  • August.jpg
    August.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 13,941
  • iceflowdecent.jpg
    iceflowdecent.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 13,952
  • uppdercannon.jpg
    uppdercannon.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13,948
Great stuff, Patrick...great entertainment on a hot June night here.

Patrick":2l11003e said:
Where is Chromer now?

He's around. Mostly lurks lately in various places from what I can tell.

I believe he skied in Utah, Colorado, PNW, BC and Alaska this year.
You forgot Alberta and the upcoming NASJA trip to Chile. :p

The guy isn't even retired yet.
I would expect less air travel and more midweek road trips to Mammoth, Tahoe and Utah then.

Those are a great collection of pics. Note that Patrick did not include my August 2005 skiing at Mammoth because the snow was too good by comparison!

No question in the real world all of Patrick's nominees are members of the asylum. But I believe the that the easterners show greater fanaticism by the truly dreadful conditions they are willing and eager to ski. In the West only the ski streakers like Bob Peters are in the same class IMHO.

Based on reports I've read on FTO I rank Frankontour #1 in addiction.

Tony Crocker":323vjg3c said:
No question in the real world all of Patrick's nominees are members of the asylum. But I believe the that the easterners show greater fanaticism by the truly dreadful conditions they are willing and eager to ski.
I am not sure "eager" is the right word here :lol: For me it is all about the adventure. I hike in the Spring and Fall any ways, so if there is snow to be found, I just decided to strap a pair of skis on my back and have some fun. It certainly is not a very frequent thing as I believe I only have around three or so June-July days. I doubt any one doing patch skiing for a hundred yards or less really believes the skiing is worth the effort, though it certainly is fun. Now early season conditions on the other hand, I have sampled some truly amazing skiing before the lifts opened. The afore mentioned day at Bolton was not one of those amazing days ;) but still a lot of fun none the less and worth the minimum amount of effort to get out there early after a few months off season. "Dreadful" conditions to me constitutes that frozen man made groomer tracked boiler plate we Easterners put up with and barely tolerate during the crowded early season. Many of my December Jay Peak trip reports from this season in fact suggest I would have been better staying home instead of driving two hours round trip to ski only four or five runs deciding the skiing was not tolerable. So when you see such fanatical efforts, it needs to be compared to my not skiing 50% of my potential available days in December and skiing only a few runs rather unhappily in December of this season. There is a lot of relativity going into the equation of what is worth while turns.

My mindset is not too far from Riverc0il's. The logical objective should be to maximize both the quantity and quality of skiing. Taking a pass on the "frozen man made groomer tracked boiler plate" to me means you're willing to save your time and $ for the odds of better skiing some other time. But the most addicted skiers will be out there come hell or high water (in the East often the latter literally!).

For the young and/or well conditioned backpacker types, I totally see the logic of hauling along the skis even for scraps. Any downhill that can be done on skis instead of on foot is a bonus IMHO. For those of us in not quite as good shape there is a limit how far and how high we can haul 30+ pounds on our backs. San Gorgonio's trailhead was relocated beyond my limit in 1985.

Here's one more confession of an addict. On July 2, 1998 I took my skis up the Palm Springs Tram to 8,500 feet and climbed the east side of 10,800 foot Mt. San Jacinto. I lost my way several times on the snow obscured trail and did not summit until after 5PM. Since skiing its north side involves climbing back up and then making your way back to the tram, I exercised discretion and never put the skis on. As it was I did not get back to the tram until after dark and I thought it would be unsafe to be out there any later in unfamiliar forest.

Tony Crocker":3cwlrqzv said:
Those are a great collection of pics. Note that Patrick did not include my August 2005 skiing at Mammoth because the snow was too good by comparison!

I also believe there is an 8 pics limitations per post. There are ton of crazy pics in the archives not taken by me. :lol:

But I believe the that the easterners show greater fanaticism by the truly dreadful conditions they are willing and eager to ski. In the West only the ski streakers like Bob Peters are in the same class IMHO.

I don't necessarily agree. Look at yourself. Would you call Admin and GWest Eastern or Western skiers? How many streakers like Ron Cram and that ski everyday guy there is out West. Even if it's easier to do out West, but the ski everyday guy is...well you know. :eek:

Based on reports I've read on FTO I rank Frankontour #1 in addiction.

But again, things aren't always what they seem. Frankontour skied 28 days this season versus 75 days for Admin. Yes, there is stuff that Frank does that I have no desire in doing, but he hasn't moved West like Admin.

Taking a pass on the "frozen man made groomer tracked boiler plate" to me means you're willing to save your time and $ for the odds of better skiing some other time. But the most addicted skiers will be out there come hell or high water (in the East often the latter literally!).

Most of the average weekend skiers skis those conditions, but pack their ski in mid-March. I wouldn't call them fanatics.

Here's one more confession of an addict. On July 2, 1998 I took my skis up the Palm Springs Tram to 8,500 feet and climbed the east side of 10,800 foot Mt. San Jacinto. I lost my way several times on the snow obscured trail and did not summit until after 5PM. Since skiing its north side involves climbing back up and then making your way back to the tram, I exercised discretion and never put the skis on. As it was I did not get back to the tram until after dark and I thought it would be unsafe to be out there any later in unfamiliar forest.

That is incriminating evidence Tony...I don't think you can now say that I'm crazier than you. :lol:

JimG.":2lyeig9h said:
AlpineZone.

He also runs the new mogul skiing forum joegm posted about a few days ago.

That's it. I remember that AZ posted a link in the "Is there is skiing in the East" thread a few weeks back.

Regarding that Mogul skier, the skiing at Sugarbush wasn't much bigger than ONE mogul. :lol:

Just get a hand held GPS, lightweight snow shoes and enough food and warmth just in case for the night. All you will get from a good psychologist is to enjoy your addiction, relax and forget it. A bad one may think you are nuts to ski at all. Tony, I would never talk to you if you did not ski! If you can't, you would have to hang out in the mountains to be in my circle! Sorry, the truth. If you were laid up in bed, have to have ski films the background.

Check this out, the bio of the producer of the STEEP. He is a Harvard Graduate, experienced film maker, family man and a crazed skier.
Carol

Before the formation of PJ Productions, Mr. Yellin was an executive producer at ABC News. He created the Peter Jennings Reporting series with Mr. Jennings in 1989. He was also the executive producer of ABC 2000, which featured 23 hours of millennium coverage. In 1999, he was the executive producer of a twelve-hour series The Century. He was also the executive producer of Report From Ground Zero a two-hour ABC primetime program broadcast on the first anniversary of 9/11.

Mr. Yellin was the executive producer of Day One, a primetime ABC News magazine, from 1991 thru 1995. Peter Jennings Reporting, Day One and Mr. Yellin’s other programs have won numerous broadcast and journalism awards, including the Alfred I. DuPont-Columbia University Award, the George Foster Peabody Award, the News Emmy Award, the Gabriel Award and the Polk Award.

He began his career in network news in 1976, as an associate producer at CBS News for CBS Reports. He went to ABC News as a New York-based producer for Nightline from its premiere in 1980 until 1982, followed by two years as the Nightline senior producer in London. He returned to New York in 1984 as a senior producer for ABC News’ World News Tonight with Peter Jennings. In 1985 he went back to CBS News as senior producer of the weekly series, West 57th where he stayed until the program ended in 1989.

Mr. Yellin graduated from Harvard College. He is married with four daughters and lives in New York City.

So, maybe when you retire you can work on investments in a ski area, private ski area, or something intermixed with your skills and the potential investors in the affluent So.CA area. Hint?

Back