Letter to the Editor: Killington vs. Wild Mt. Article Hypocr

David Cronheim

Dear First Tracks Online, <BR> <BR>I am a loyal reader of your publication, but I feel that your article claiming cynicism the part of Killington' Marketing Dept. is off base. Minnesota is not an eastern state. Wild Mountain did not break Killington's long standing record, as they are not in the East and I think your headline is incorrect and I would like to have my opinion on the matter stated somewhere. What bothers me is your inconsistancy of reporting. In your October 22 Article, Killington to Open Top-to-Bottom Friday, Other Resorts Prepare, you say "Wild Mountain is traditionally one of the first, if not the first, midwestern ski and snowboard areas to open for the season." This is an obvious contradiction of what you stated in your article today. Your headline is misleading and incorrect. Perhaps if you hade not labeled Wild Mountain a "midwestern ski resort" you might have had a case. However, since you did, you have no case arguing that they are the first Eastern resort to open for the year. You can't have it both ways. You clearly express a comtempt of Killington's marketing in your article and I would like to say that I, for one, strongly disagree with your hypocritical article . <BR> <BR>David Cronheim <BR>Watchung, NJ, USA

David, while I appreciate your comments, I feel that they are misplaced. <BR> <BR>1) You state that we "claim cynicism in Killington's marketing department". The article is <A HREF="http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/stories/103541466711581.shtm" TARGET="_blank">here</A>. I see no such claim. Please give me an exact quote where we claim such cynicism. <BR> <BR>2) You claim "You clearly express a comtempt of Killington's marketing in your article." Again, I see no such clear expression of contempt. Please again give me an exact quote where we clearly express such contempt. <BR> <BR>Our sheer existence relies upon healthy, but not fawning, relationships with resort marketing departments. Unlike some other publications however, if we clearly disagree with something, we'll call it like we see it. <BR> <BR>The article, though, makes no such criticism. It clearly presents both sides of the issue, and lets the reader decide. The article is not an opinion piece ... it presents facts as quoted from both camps. <BR> <BR>I do thank you, however, for your self-proclaimed loyal readership. And please do continue to provide your opinion when you feel necessary -- it's the diversity of opinion that keeps life interesting.

Back