What is your favorite Ski Book?

Patrick

This might not be the best topic with Winter fast approaching, anyway here goes:

Had this topic pop in my head when I saw a picture of Sel Hannah and started browsing through my bookshelf at home.

What is your favorite ski book. I can be a fiction, ski guide, biography, historical, picture book, you name it...

Here are a few to get the topic started.

Picture/History book:

Mount Washington in Winter: 1923-1940 by Winston Pope. Amazing pictures. Found this outprint book after hiking at the bookstore on top of Mount Washington in mid-october. I was looking for this everywhere the previous spring.

A pictorial history of Downhill Skiing by Stan Cohen. Alot of pictures.

Serious book:

The Downhill Slide by Hal Clifford. I wouldn't call this a favorite (because it's a bit depressing), but it is a definite must read if someone interested in what is happening in the ski industry.

Biographies:

The Legendary Jackrabbit Johanssen by written by his daughter.

The Man and the Medal: the story of Dick Durrance.

White Circus: Ken Read story

These are the books that are off the top of my head. There are also David Goodman Backcountry books and many others.

the one ski book that really stood out in my mind what one I read in ninth grade about Steve Podborski and his years with the "Carzy Canucks".

I forget the title though.....

Currently reading the section on bootfitting/aligment in the The Athletic Skier by Warren Witherell and David Evrard. It's a few years old, but there's some good bootfitting information in it.

Oh, Patrick,

have you read "Not without Peril" it's a book about deaths on Mt. Washington. Interesting to find more hypothermic deaths in the summer than in the winter. People underestimate the severity of the weather more in the summer months.

No, never did...

About the death on Mt. Washington, I remember seeing the list and looking at the reason of death a few years. I believe the list is somewhere on mountwashington.com or another mt. washington related site.

Anyway, I don't read much about skiing in the Winter... I have a hard time reading my Ski Canada subscription.

I'll read just about anything about skiing I can get my hands on. Would love to find some more fiction books about skiing though....really hard to search for. Read "The Ski Bum" (there are at least three fiction books with this title. It was horrible, but not that bad when stuck inside and no snow. "Alpine Circus" is actually very entertaining and I'd recommend it. Short stories about traveling and skiing all over the world.

If you know any more fiction titles that have skiing, skiers, etc as part of the plot, please pass them on.

The best ski book is First Tracks. Of course, I wrote it, but that has nothing to do with my prejudice that it is by far the best book ever written about skiing. It also helps that you are about...say three years old or a slow reader for a ten-year-old. Anyway, if you're between the ages of three and seven, and you're a skier or boarder, this is the book for you. My mom said so. :D

Johnny

The best ski book is First Tracks. Of course, I wrote it, but that has nothing to do with my prejudice that it is by far the best book ever written about skiing. It also helps that you are about...say three years old or a slow reader for a ten-year-old. Anyway, if you're between the ages of three and seven, and you're a skier or boarder, this is the book for you. My mom said so. :D

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Back