ski marketing

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I think I posted a similar thread last season, but I always like to check out how ski areas position themselves to establish their brand, and whether it works or not. Even though, as FTOers, we're supposed to be able to see through all the marketing bollox, I think it's cool when something is communicated effectively, whether I believe in it or not.

As mentioned before, I like the stuff Steve writes for Jay Peak 242 (see below in italics)... he's definitely got the aw shucks/warm and fuzzy thing down. MRG always wins points for its general honesty. Click through Sutton's website... the graphics in the headers are atmospheric, in a goofy faux-retro way:
http://www.mt-sutton.com

Anyone else impressed with a particular area's marketing efforts?

It’s been a long time. Too long gone for sure. With our opening day behind us, and our first storm just about shoveled, we’re ready to get on with things.

New this year? Well, not so much. No shiny arcades. No seaweed wraps or chemical peels. Nobody carrying your equipment from your car for you. Nothing that would, at least potentially, detract you from what makes you, you. And that’s your love of the mountains, and your steadfastness when it comes to honoring those things you value. Like real towns and big snowstorms. Like first call being more important than last call. And like affordable lift tickets not being relegated to bitterly cold January Tuesdays.

Given the folks on this list, my preaching is mostly intended for the choir. Though you’re already converted, feel free to use it for those still wandering. Still wondering where they can find a spot that’s like it used to be. Because that’s the way it still is here. We still put the mountains and the snow first. The other stuff, the buffets and film festivals, fall in line squarely behind the skiing and the snowboarding. But you know that.

So welcome to the 2007-2008 season. Same as it ever was. Boom, Jay Peak.

jamesdeluxe":2v497v9c said:
I think it's cool when something is communicated effectively, whether I believe in it or not.
Whether I believe in it or not indeed. I just got and read the 242 and had much the same thought. Very well done marketing. But easy to see through for what it is. Same as it ever was? Hardly. I certainly did like that part about no one carrying your skis :lol: Jay does a great job promoting their image but it is not as authentic as say Mad River that completely embodies their marketing and promotions. Specifically since Jay play's on people's images of themselves rather than just the image of the mountain which generally speaks for itself.

My favorite part of the latest 242? The youtube video they linked to showed people skiing the trees.... tree runs that were decidedly not open by patrol. 8)

jamesdeluxe":3fi3nqxf said:
riverc0il":3fi3nqxf said:
Same as it ever was? Hardly.

Hah, I knew that line would make your head explode.
Actually, it was the earworm effect that made my head explode. C'mon, tell me you were not humming the Talking Heads after reading that line?
eusa_whistle.gif

ARGH!!!!!

*head explodes*

Actually, the fact that it was good marketing speaks for itself that we are even discussing it on a message board. Hmmmmm.... :-$

Often, a marketing assignment for ski areas involves correcting an "inaccurate" perception -- for example, the Taos classic: "you're only looking at 1/27 of the mountain... we also have many beginner-friendly runs!"

What if the general perception is close to the reality? I guess you keep driving home your core message and hope that more people listen. Maybe that's why Jay is using the "same as it ever was" imagery (referring to the trees, I guess?) rather than trying to convince people that its groomers are underrated.

I think one of the big drives in that marketing regarding "same as it ever was" is in regards to places like Stowe and Sugarbush building up huge resort aspects and that have four season aspects in which the resort is more about image and general recreation than skiing (thus, Jay's development a as four season resort... not quite "same as it ever was"). Then you have Killington trying to go upscale and all these buy outs and trades of ownerships etc.

The telling part of that advert was the "grab a friend" type reference hoping for a viral marketing thing. Tell your friend that likes the same stuff you do that they are missing out, this is their mind set too, etc. There was a lot stuffed into that advert, intentionally or not, but I suspect intentionally.

How about Cannon Mountain? Here is an interesting mountain for discussion about marketing. I have been fond of suggesting previous Cannon Marketing has focused on "defanging" the image of Cannon from a cold, windy, icy, "skier's" mountain into a family friendly mountain with something for everyone. The addition of the Tuckerbrook Quad gave a LOT of credence to this marketing as it is a great learning area and my observations are that the snowsports learning school (or whatever they call it) at Cannon does a great job with newbies and those learning.

That said, Cannon is still Cannon, and it is a harsh mountain with no easy way down from the summit (heck, no "easy" way down from the Peabody Quad even when you consider the ice skating rinks the Links and Mid Cannon are become by noontime). I brought a lower intermediate skier to Cannon many years back and it was a hell day for them (prior to Tuckerbrook Quad).

How about this year's brand of marketing? Cannon is finally promoting some of their best terrain which requires a small hike, something I am surprised was not done sooner. There was a huge marketing effort to expert skiers that LOVE that type of stuff being left on the table. That said, too bad they finally choose to promote it if you know what I mean :wink: The second aspect of this year's marketing that I find not so brilliant is the whole "Cannonista" thing. I am pround do say that i am NOT a Cannonista, what ever that is. Seems like a play on families, no solid expert level skier would be drawn to that type of marketing hooey. Then there is the web page design. Worst ski area web page design I have seen this year. Just terrible. Try to find the snow report? Best I have gotten was three clicks from the front page. And then they have the lodging and crap as the biggest box on the front page and follows you where ever you dig into. Cannon as a destination resort? Flying into Manchester for a ski weekend and thinking of going skiing? Your first thought is Cannon? Yea, right! The mountain wants to be all things to all people and wants to be a destination resort to boot. I understand the dual appeal to expert skiers and families, that works. The rest of it leaves me shaking my head.

/rant

Yep, wonder which former marketing director gave the approval for "Cannonista"... :roll:

They had some nice photos rotating in and out today on the homepage, and that works for me (and there should be more). But you're right, the reservations box is a joke, and it's always there, following you around throughout the site.

Just stumbled upon this one...

Well I guess same-as-it-ever-was really depends upon when you developed your was. The Jayer-than-Thou's among us will certainly tell that things have changed dramatically with respect to crowds but I'd be interested in what else they think has changed by way of large measure. A quick trip through the Stateside Base Lodge and you'd be hard-pressed to find much new to peek at (including the 'entrence' sign and my personal fave, the 'Jay After Dark' lit rack that stays unironically empty. Still let brown baggers have their room, still let the housekeeping staff smoke butts in front of our guests (turth be told I die a bit each time I see this), and we still hand write lift tickets when the lines get too long.

Not to mention the fact that the positioning really has nothing to do with a same-as-it-ever-was position. Think of it more in terms of, it-is-what-it-is. Our images and copy support the fact that 'if you're not here for the mtn, you're not here.' We mean this equal parts literal/figurative. If someone carrying your gear for you takes precedence over the actual skiing and riding, you don't share the same approach to the sport that both we and our most ardent guests do. So to that end, you're certainly seeing what we're pitching.

riverc0il":3tmbbl8u said:
I think one of the big drives in that marketing regarding "same as it ever was" is in regards to places like Stowe and Sugarbush building up huge resort aspects and that have four season aspects in which the resort is more about image and general recreation than skiing (thus, Jay's development a as four season resort... not quite "same as it ever was"). Then you have Killington trying to go upscale and all these buy outs and trades of ownerships etc.

The telling part of that advert was the "grab a friend" type reference hoping for a viral marketing thing. Tell your friend that likes the same stuff you do that they are missing out, this is their mind set too, etc. There was a lot stuffed into that advert, intentionally or not, but I suspect intentionally.

And I would also say that someone's perception of what is and what is not authentic is as objective as anything you will ever come across. If you talked with Eric, he'd tell you that they really don't market nor do they promote. And I've seen his marketing budget and I can pretty much verify that as true.

More important than what we do or do not offer as peripheral vacation elements is our fundamental position that skiing and riding shouldn't be prohibitively expensive and we get shit for that from just about every ski resort in the State I assure you (MRG shares no guilt here). Take a look around and try to find a more liberal approach to getting Vermonters out and on the mtn than what we dish here. Same goes for season passholders from other mtns though, truth be told, there's notosmuch benevolence behind this position as I'm sure you understand.

Free childcare for guests staying here? Try $35 an hour anyplace else. College students getting a discount any day including holidays. 2 for 1's, 3 for 1's and 6-packs. We probably do more tactical and standard discounting than any ski resort in the industry--at least that I know of. Part of this is a result of our geographical lot; being last on the line in the US. But a bigger part of that position is our belief that cost doesn't need to be a barrier to enjoying the sport(s).

riverc0il":20pf747e said:
jamesdeluxe":20pf747e said:
I think it's cool when something is communicated effectively, whether I believe in it or not.
Whether I believe in it or not indeed. I just got and read the 242 and had much the same thought. Very well done marketing. But easy to see through for what it is. Same as it ever was? Hardly. I certainly did like that part about no one carrying your skis :lol: Jay does a great job promoting their image but it is not as authentic as say Mad River that completely embodies their marketing and promotions. Specifically since Jay play's on people's images of themselves rather than just the image of the mountain which generally speaks for itself.

My favorite part of the latest 242? The youtube video they linked to showed people skiing the trees.... tree runs that were decidedly not open by patrol. 8)

Dunno much about what's going on with marketing at Cannon but what I've seen is not markedly different from what too many brands try and do and that's position themselves as perfect for everyone. In the end, they just end up being sort of terminally in the middle which isn't where you want to be. I'd rather have someone hate Jay Peak for all the wrong reasons than not really know what we offer.

riverc0il":39lduj76 said:
How about Cannon Mountain? Here is an interesting mountain for discussion about marketing. I have been fond of suggesting previous Cannon Marketing has focused on "defanging" the image of Cannon from a cold, windy, icy, "skier's" mountain into a family friendly mountain with something for everyone. The addition of the Tuckerbrook Quad gave a LOT of credence to this marketing as it is a great learning area and my observations are that the snowsports learning school (or whatever they call it) at Cannon does a great job with newbies and those learning.

That said, Cannon is still Cannon, and it is a harsh mountain with no easy way down from the summit (heck, no "easy" way down from the Peabody Quad even when you consider the ice skating rinks the Links and Mid Cannon are become by noontime). I brought a lower intermediate skier to Cannon many years back and it was a hell day for them (prior to Tuckerbrook Quad).

How about this year's brand of marketing? Cannon is finally promoting some of their best terrain which requires a small hike, something I am surprised was not done sooner. There was a huge marketing effort to expert skiers that LOVE that type of stuff being left on the table. That said, too bad they finally choose to promote it if you know what I mean :wink: The second aspect of this year's marketing that I find not so brilliant is the whole "Cannonista" thing. I am pround do say that i am NOT a Cannonista, what ever that is. Seems like a play on families, no solid expert level skier would be drawn to that type of marketing hooey. Then there is the web page design. Worst ski area web page design I have seen this year. Just terrible. Try to find the snow report? Best I have gotten was three clicks from the front page. And then they have the lodging and crap as the biggest box on the front page and follows you where ever you dig into. Cannon as a destination resort? Flying into Manchester for a ski weekend and thinking of going skiing? Your first thought is Cannon? Yea, right! The mountain wants to be all things to all people and wants to be a destination resort to boot. I understand the dual appeal to expert skiers and families, that works. The rest of it leaves me shaking my head.

/rant

Back