Obama and the Ski Industry

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Actually, there are no connections that I'm aware of. I'm just looking forward to the top-to-bottom ass whoopin' the repubs are going to get two weeks from now.
:snowball fight:

James is apparently following in my footsteps to only start politicial discussions on other people's forums. :roll:

[-o< Please let this topic die a quiet death. [-o<

I thought the Al Smith dinner was pretty funny. Look's like John does have a sense of humor.

Who's watching SNL tonight?

:-"

Harvey44":1fy9xhg8 said:
I thought the Al Smith dinner was pretty funny. Look's like John does have a sense of humor.

I enjoyed both of them at that event, actually.

Unless one of the candidates is giving away free lift tickets, I don't think this subject should get tossed around on a ski forum. If we want to talk about Sonny Bono's demise, thats fine by me, it was a ski related accident. Frankly, when you ski are you shouldn't be worrying about politics? Don't get me wrong, but I just like to read about ski-related issues. Maybe that is because I live in NYC and I want to live vicariously through all you guys out in the mountains. But please, I beg you, spare me the political stuff. It's gone too far when it shows up on a ski forum.

Actually, there are no connections that I'm aware of. I'm just looking forward to the top-to-bottom ass whoopin' the repubs are going to get two weeks from now.
Be careful what you wish for. In this era of polarized political parties divided government does the least damage, and definitely exerts the most fiscal responsibility. I think this is one lesson of 2002-2006.

In recent history one could argue that the most sensible legislation was enacted under Reagan (Dems had the House the whole time) and last 6 years of Clinton (Reps had both House and Senate). This is McCain's best argument (and he has a track record of working with opposition to prove it) but he hasn't been making it, though his former campaign manager Mike Murphy is.

Tony Crocker":1wkvhzk2 said:
Be careful what you wish for. In this era of polarized political parties divided government does the least damage, and definitely exerts the most fiscal responsibility. I think this is one lesson of 2002-2006.

In recent history one could argue that the most sensible legislation was enacted under Reagan (Dems had the House the whole time) and last 6 years of Clinton (Reps had both House and Senate). This is McCain's best argument (and he has a track record of working with opposition to prove it) but he hasn't been making it, though his former campaign manager Mike Murphy is.

Enough!!! Lets pray for snow!!!

Admin":2ca6ei7s said:
I enjoyed both of them at that event, actually.

I thought they were both funny too. I just didn't know McCain well enough to know that he was funny too.

As Admin well knows, I've never read any of the rules of the forum, so I'm not sure if politics is allowed in the OT or not, but I'm assuming that since he's contributing to the thread it's ok.

Over at another forum they have a unwritten thing going on...The "skiing" forums are about skiing in "season" whatever that is, and almost anything else off season.

Then they have thay WAY OT, which is for all that stuff that gets you in trouble - politics, global warming, the war and the evolution of man. It's all the stuff where no ones' opinion will ever change. If you go in there you know what you're getting.

On Tony's point...I agree with that except...up until now I've been really unsure about whether to "cut and run" in Iraq or try to go for a more orderly exit to preserve order. (This from a guy who is rabidly anti-war.)

I now think that we've got to get out asap. We are bleeding cash. There's a chance that even if the bailout works our govt bonds will become worthless to the rest of the world. And both Shia and Sunni are demonstrating in the streets - they seem to both agree. Get the GD Americans out of here. It's time to go. Now.

I think a Dem pres and congress will get us out faster. Either option is scary as hell (thanks W), but it is what it is.

I'll try to steer this back to SR territory...

How many presidents or vice presidents were skiers? The only one that comes to mind is Gerald Ford. I remember him being all involved with some ski area in Colorado.

jamesdeluxe":2swww9b0 said:
I'll try to steer this back to SR territory...

How many presidents or vice presidents were skiers? The only one that comes to mind is Gerald Ford. I remember him being all involved with some ski area in Colorado.

Beaver Creek. He had a home in the base area.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index. ... e&sid=1726

I can't think of any others, either.

Officially, anything goes here, too. I've just never seen any of these political threads end up well.

Admin":287tkyk2 said:
jamesdeluxe":287tkyk2 said:
(Gerald Ford)How many presidents or vice presidents were skiers?

I can't think of any others, either.

We'll I can add my two Canadian two cents.

I remember readying that Stéphane Dion skis (Liberal leader that probably going to resign tomorrow after the election lost).

Haven't seen any info regarding skiing about the current Canadian PM, Stephen Harper. He's more into Hockey.

Jean Chrétien 1993-2004 was a skier. He even got into probably went he skipped on the Jordanian's president state funeral and keep his Whistler vacation.

Regarding the previous PMs (Paul Martin (2004-05), Kim Campbell (1993), Brian Mulroney (1984-93) John Turner (1984) and Joe Clark (1979)), I don't recall about hearing about them skiing.

Prior to them, Pierre Trudeau was an avid skier and outdoor man. His youngest son became a liftee at Red. He died in a fall avalanche and was slept away in the unfrozen Kootenay lake below back in November 1998.

http://archives.cbc.ca/environment/natu ... lips/9934/

I was curious and I did a bit of research..this article sums it up.

From Ski Canada (winter 2006)
First Tracks
The politics of skiing

Why is it that all of our recent prime ministers of the Liberal faith have been skiers, indeed good skiers, while none of the Tory PMs or leaders of the Conservative/Reform/CA history will wear a ski jacket for what it’s intended? Do they not realize that a major powder day on January 23 will seriously affect the outcome of the election?

Think about it: Paul Martin, Jean Chrétien, John Turner and PET were all strong skiers. But on the right side of politics, Joe Clark, Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell, Preston Manning, Stockwell Day and Stephen Harper—all hailing from the major skiing provinces—are in the chalet, fighting like skiers and snowboarders, or, I don’t know, working on policy papers and not moving beyond après ski. Pollsters have told us for months that Canadians want a change in government, but when it comes to leaders, are we really ready for a non-skier?

Having little personal interest in politics since working on an election campaign for a dad of a former roommate (and later Mulroney cabinet minister) back in the ’80s, I’ve always perked up when a political leader is photographed or filmed on the slopes. We’ve been treated to infamous but nevertheless entertaining stories such as Chrétien wanting to take just one more run at Whistler rather than attend the king of Jordon’s funeral. (“Dis is da ting about me and Hussein,” one source told me he overheard in the gondola lineup, “dere are no friends on a powder day.”)

Longtime Ski Canada photographer Don Weixl skied with JC at Silver Star in 1995. So keen to get going, Chrétien took off, with his posse scrambling to catch up, before Weixl was even off the chairlift. “I didn’t have to just get close, I had to get in front of the pack so I could shoot him skiing toward me,” said Weixl. “But I guess my big dark knapsack spooked one of the RCMP officers (jeans tucked into his rental boots, dark goggles, ear piece and mike) skiing beside him, so when he saw me overtaking, he tried to run me into the trees!”

Three years later, Weixl was asked by Silver Star management to shoot another visiting Right Honourable, this time Pierre Trudeau skiing with number-two son. “Sacha could easily have been a ski instructor,” said Weixl. “His dad was a little stiff but anyone skiing at 70 is a hero in my books.” (Trudeau was actually 78 at the time.)

So while Trudeau continued to impress his followers by skiing in the winter and paddling his cedarstrip canoe in the summer, Stockwell Day was roaring up to a press conference on a Jet Ski. A Jet Ski!

How Snackwell Day isn’t a skier is a mystery to me—his riding is the Okanagan! Stephen Harper divides his time between Ottawa and Calgary, two of the most outdoorsy cities in the country and he’s about as MEC-like as Madonna. Kim Campbell from Vancouver, Clark from Calgary, Mulroney from Quebec? What are their excuses? Sheila Copps is from the mountainous region of Hamilton, for crying out loud, and even Sheila skis.

When I called the Prime Minister’s Office to confirm our current PM’s taste in winter sports, I found it fascinating how the tone of voice softened so abruptly when his press secretary realized what I was calling about. Indeed, I was taken aback when she called me again the next day to let me know, in the heat of the impending no-confidence vote, that she and her boss had discussed my earlier call. He wanted me to know that although he grew up skiing with his Ottawa school buddies at Camp Fortune, dated Mrs. PM, Sheila, on the slopes of Blue Mountain and later was a regular around the Eastern Townships, he’s been permanently sidelined with a serious knee injury from a waterski accident. I wonder if a Jet Ski hit him.

Interesting article, Patrick. I like Ski Canada magazine. I'm always interested to know what kind of outdoors stuff (if any) our leaders are into, and what it says about them.

I've read that Obama works out punctually for 45 minutes first thing in the morning, but not sure what he does (weights? machines?). We've heard all about Palin's moose/wolf hunting... I guess Biden and McCain are too long in the tooth for sports?

Not too surprising about Canadian politicians being more likely skiers. US has 10x Canada's population but only 3x Canada's skier visits.

Gerald Ford was the only avid skiing president I know about. I recall from 2004 that John Kerry snowboards. Our governator Arnold is an excellent skier and owns a place in Sun Valley. On that tack we know that many of the Kennedy family ski, though I don't know whether JFK did.

Obama's exercise is basketball. Recent L.A. Times article says he takes it very seriously. Some of his advisors play also, and they try to fill in with pick-ups when they are on the road. The only time mentioned when advisors insisted he not play was the day of the Denver stadium speech.

McCain doesn't do much other than hike. His war injuries preclude many other types of exercise, including using a keyboard.

Interesting article, Patrick. I like Ski Canada magazine.
Allegedly Ski Canada is viewed like SKI and SKIING here. But I get that from Leslie Anthony, who was the founding editor of SBC Skier, more in the Powder mold. I'll defer to our Canadian posters in analyzing the relative merits/maket positions of those mags.

I thought they were both funny too. I just didn't know McCain well enough to know that he was funny too.
McCain has historically done very well with the press, and making the rounds of the talk shows. This was very evident the first time he ran in 2000. Unfortunately, he's contracted "political advisor" disease this time. Listening to these people, many of whom were successful working for Bush (hello, the political landscape is different this time!?!?!) has not served McCain well. I tend to ignore the campaign BS, and thus tend to believe we'll get the 2000 version of McCain if he wins. But he has only a 7% chance according to http://fivethirtyeight.com.

I now think that we've got to get out asap. We are bleeding cash.
I believe Iraq has almost gone away as a campaign issue, despite its salience in getting Obama launched a year+ ago.
1) Events on the ground have overtaken. The Iraqi government thinks it will be strong enough to get along without us within a year or two, and have already negotiated an agreement in that direction with Bush admin. Either candidate will be likely to honor that agreement due to both financial pressure and the desire to allocate more military resources to Afghanistan.
2) More importantly, the electorate is mostly focused on the economic issues at the moment. Obama's probability went from ~70% to 90+% during those 2 weeks when the bailout bill was being debated.

McCain could still win, I mean the Red Sox came back... didn't they? ....No... they didn't...... HURRAY!!!! This is a good omen for the eastern ski season!

I wonder what the correlation is for good ski season in the east and the red sox losing... It probably doesn't work at all considering they spent the vast majority of the last 100 years not winning. On the other hand, there is a strong correlation between the Yankees losing or not making the series and democrats winning the presidency.

there is a strong correlation between the Yankees losing or not making the series and democrats winning the presidency.
YES: 2000, 1992, 1956, 1952, 1948, 1944, 1940, 1928
NO: 2004, 1996, 1988, 1984, 1980, 1976, 1972, 1968, 1964, 1960, 1936, 1932, 1924 (Yankees never in WS before 1921)

No correlation at all in recent times, but I found the era in which this rumor must have originated, when the Yankees were in the Series over half the time. I think there was a stretch where stock market performance correlated with whether a pre-merger NFL team won the Super Bowl.

Tony Crocker":3ht3xifn said:
McCain has historically done very well with the press, and making the rounds of the talk shows. This was very evident the first time he ran in 2000. Unfortunately, he's contracted "political advisor" disease this time. Listening to these people, many of whom were successful working for Bush (hello, the political landscape is different this time!?!?!) has not served McCain well. I tend to ignore the campaign BS, and thus tend to believe we'll get the 2000 version of McCain if he wins.

No questioned McCain got Roved, although not in the traditional sense of the word. In the beginning, when it was narrowed to the big 3 (Hillary, Obama and McCain) this life long democrat was seriously considering going for McCain. He is/was the most moderate of the three. Now a few things are tripping me up.

His age and the the stress of running and being president. Did you hear him accidentally call an audience "my fellow prisoners?"

Palin. At 72, there's a reasonable chance we may really need the VP.

The gas tax holiday....pure pandering (Hillary was for it too.)

And I hate to admit it....Rove. I just don't like the fact that McCain gave up control.

I think Tony is right...there's a good chance we'll get the old McCain back if he wins.

Anyone see Colin Powell on Meet the Press? There's a guy I would vote for. What a great interview.

I remember the 2000 version of McCain was very likeable, relatively moderate, and actually lived up to the now-annoying "maverick within his party" label. That was his big chance and I was bummed when he had to bail.

Wonder how things would've turned out (for him and for the country) if he'd won the 2000 repub primary instead of W. He definitely blew it in this election by tracking so far to the right... though you have to wonder, given the economy right now, how any GOP candidate could have pulled this one out.

Harvey44":2b33ppc2 said:
Anyone see Colin Powell on Meet the Press? There's a guy I would vote for. What a great interview.

Well, a vote for Obama could be a vote for Colin Powell. Powell could be appointed to be one of Obama's close advisors...Secretary of Defense? Secretary of State? who knows.

Powell's endorsement of Obama confirms my feelings.

jamesdeluxe":3o81oomh said:
Wonder how things would've turned out (for him and for the country) if he'd won the 2000 repub primary instead of W.

I'd bet my house that we wouldn't have spent close to a trillion in Iraq if almost ANYBODY other than W had won in 2000. No way McCain would have us in this mess.

I still don't understand the motivation for being there. I don't buy that it was to make money for Haliburton or whatever. There are way easier ways to scam the system to benefit your friends.

I'm pretty sure I heard Powell say that he was done with politics yesterday and at other times. I know he asks to be called general, not secretary.

Tony Crocker":1c4i15xp said:
Not too surprising about Canadian politicians being more likely skiers. US has 10x Canada's population but only 3x Canada's skier visits.

Yes, but the fact that all the Conservative (old Progressive Conservateur or old Reform/Alliance) prime ministers or leaders from areas near great skiing are all none skiers versus the Liberals which are all skiers is a strange coincidence. I didn't say it, the Ski Canada article did.

Gerald Ford was the only avid skiing president I know about. I recall from 2004 that John Kerry snowboards. Our governator Arnold is an excellent skier and owns a place in Sun Valley. On that tack we know that many of the Kennedy family ski, though I don't know whether JFK did.
I believe JFK and Robert Kennedy did. I remember seeing pictures of them (JFK and Jackie) at Tremblant/Gray Rocks in the 60s.

Interesting article, Patrick. I like Ski Canada magazine.
Allegedly Ski Canada is viewed like SKI and SKIING here. But I get that from Leslie Anthony, who was the founding editor of SBC Skier, more in the Powder mold. I'll defer to our Canadian posters in analyzing the relative merits/maket positions of those mags.

I wouldn't go as far to associate Ski Canada to SKI magazine, but it's pretty much a blend of SKI and Skiing in one magazine. I've had a subscriptions for a number of years, I sometimes wondering why I kept renewing it? SBC is defintely in a different Mold as is Powder. Actually bought the latest SBC on Saturday.

Back