Airline Baggage Allowancs and Charges

Not that it's always possible, but I voted with my feet - Southwest for my flight to tahoe in Feb. No bs baggage fees (same net price). Not that SW is a panacea, but tired of being nickel and dimed to death by all sorts of companies.

Lifty@50":1opotsqg said:
I always pack my boots and BC gear in my bags and demo skis and rent poles.

If they lose your bags, or if they don't arrive with you, you will be sorry. I always pack my boots in my carry-on. I've had my baggage not arrive with me in the past, and renting skis is not a big deal, but rental boots can be a bummer.

Pam had to rent boots last time, since they lost her bag...but it came 2 days later.

One should always bring boots, and all pertinent pieces of clothing on board with them. That way if the luggage gets lost all you need to do is rent skis.

EMSC":2ruvy6ui said:
Not that it's always possible, but I voted with my feet - Southwest for my flight to tahoe in Feb. No bs baggage fees (same net price). Not that SW is a panacea, but tired of being nickel and dimed to death by all sorts of companies.

How much extra does Southwest charge for skis?

baldyskier":2oh8zrz4 said:
EMSC":2oh8zrz4 said:

How much extra does Southwest charge for skis?

Zero -- no extra baggage fees on Southwest:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/pod_chart.html

Does anyone know where there is a table that specifically concerns ski bag policies and airlines.

rfarren":12j6ge74 said:
Does anyone know where there is a table that specifically concerns ski bag policies and airlines.

Literally every domestic airline considers a ski bag containing one pair of skis and poles and an accompanying boot bag containing only boots to be one piece of checked luggage. Knowing that, you need only look at the various airlines' checked bag policies, such as in the chart linked above.

Well, the new policies of airlines nickel-and-diming for every little thing has reached an all-time low: Ryanair is going to start charging passengers to use the bathroom. No, I'm not kidding. :roll:

It was widely reported that Ryanair was going to do this, but apparently it's only something that they're considering. Excerpts from a brief BusinessWeek item:
Ryanair Considers Charging Passengers To Use the Bathroom

On Feb. 27, O’Leary told the BBC that Ryanair was considering charging passengers to use the toilet in flight. O’Leary says the airline has looked at the idea before and is investigating it once again.

Ryanair’s head of media relations Stephen McNamara writes:

“Michael makes a lot of this stuff up as he goes along and while this has been discussed internally there are no immediate plans to introduce it. However, this highlights Ryanair’s continuing obsession with lowering costs and passing these savings on in the form of lower fares, which currently average just €34. Ancillary revenues, all of which are avoidable, help to reduce the cost of flying Ryanair and passengers using train and bus stations are already accustomed to paying to use the toilet so why not on airplanes? Not everyone uses the toilet on board one of our flights but those that do could help to reduce airfares for all passengers.”

Admin":2oj1l4kk said:
O'Leary's comments today in the Irish Timesconfirm that they're serious and that he wasn't just "making this stuff up as he goes along." A brief summary:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... -Boarding/

The difference is that RyanAir is a true discounter. The problem comes when the big carriers start doing it. If you are a business traveller sitting in a $1,000 economy seat, it pissed the crap out of you when they nickle-dime you to death. If you're once seat over paying $99 for the same flight, you deal with it.

Ryanair is NOT a true discounter at all. Absolute rubbish. They are often a lot more expensive when you add in the taxes for this that and the next thing compared to many airlines.

q":2mfxz61c said:
Ryanair is NOT a true discounter at all. Absolute rubbish. They are often a lot more expensive when you add in the taxes for this that and the next thing compared to many airlines.

So what qualifies as a discount carrier if you're from Scotland? Free? Or do they have to pay you to fly?

Just a note. On the flight from SLC to MSP the ski bag and boot bag were weighed together to check the 50lb limit. Good thing I only took one pair of skis to Lutsen. And it turned out I didn't use them because extensive demos were provided. So if you take 2 sets of skis on trips, as I usually do, one more reason the boots should be carry-on.

Tony Crocker":f8567hb0 said:
...one more reason the boots should be carry-on.
The potential for loss or mis-routing of checked baggage is the only consideration in why your boot bag should always, without question, without a second though, never, ever, be anything other than carry-on on you outbound trip.

Back