women that over pack

jasoncapecod

Tonight I'm packing for our annual trip to Vermont. We are heading to Sugarbush for 4 nights. I said, 4 nights not 40. My wife has taken out enough clothes for a month. The forecast is for cold weather so, does that mean she needs 4 pair of long underwear?. My den looks like I'm going on a Everest expedition. Between my daughters bags and equipment, I have to hire a Sherpa to help me schlep all this crap... I forgot to mention the 2 huge bags of food , cooler for the cold stuff , case of H20 , six pack of Gatoraid and a shopping bag of games.

I feel better now...

I tend to overpack. If I'm going for a week to 10 days, I bring gear appropriate for -20F and appropriate for 50F spring conditions... and things appropritate for typical midwinter weather. On most trips, half of what I pack goes back unused. With a drop-bottom wheeled duffel, it's never been a big deal. Now that the freakin' airlines are charging for bags, I'm starting to think that I'm better off wrapping clothes around a single pair of skis in a double ski bag and letting FEDEX deal with it. I can carry on a boot bag and a roll-aboard.

jasoncapecod":16l92xj3 said:
I forgot to mention the 2 huge bags of food , cooler for the cold stuff , case of H20 , six pack of Gatoraid and a shopping bag of games.

No beer? :shock: With all of that luggage you'll need to drink heavily. :lol:

I feel your pain. My wife doesn't overpack for herself, but brings insane amounts of things for our son, who has health issues. For the recent 2.5-day trip to the ADKs, our CRV was filled with his crap. OTOH, it was good that we could just throw everything in the car, instead of dealing with airlines.

We're flying to New Mexico in a month on a Delta FF award, but on codeshare partner Northwest (soon to become Delta). They charge $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second -- $160 roundtrip that we didn't have to pay a year ago!

Does anyone have any concrete experience/suggestions on shipping skis? I don't recall it being covered here. If I can ship the whole mess for the same price, I'll do it. And yes, I know that Tony doesn't have to pay baggage fees. ](*,)

I found this thread on Epic, but it's mostly a rant.. guess I'll just have to start making phone calls:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=34215

jamesdeluxe":18c8az13 said:
Does anyone have any concrete experience/suggestions on shipping skis? I don't recall it being covered here. If I can ship the whole mess for the same price, I'll do it. And yes, I know that Tony doesn't have to pay baggage fees. ](*,)

I've looked into it. In most cases it's a bit more than paying the airline fees, so you need to decide if your hassle is worth the price difference.

I just called FedEx and the quote for two ski bags (each with two pairs) was $61 each way. To get that rate, I have to drop off and pick up at the nearest FedEx office (and it's four days of transit), but that's not a bad deal.

Sold!

OK, time to hear from the woman....

I always feel like I pack too much and I almost always wear everything I pack. I don't skimp on the polypro layers and underwear because they hardly take up any room. What takes up room are the fleece ski tops, small backpacks/camelbacks and the jackets.

In the past I would just bring my one ski parka and one softshell. When I ski in Jan-Feb I find that I don't use the softshell. In the spring I bring the soft shell, the hard shell and the ski jacket, because you just don't know what weather you'll encounter. Sometimes I have a bag just for jackets and footwear as well as small backpacks and camelbacks. This year I purchased a puffy down jacket. It stuffs very small, so I'll have an extra jacket for nights out and apres ski. After a while, wearing that ski jacket I wore all day on the slopes gets old and you just want a warm clean jacket to change into.

When I travel by car, this isn't such a big deal and I tend to bring more, especially if the trip entails xc skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating as well as downhill skiing. I gave up on bringing the telemark gear. Took up too much room and I didn't use it often enough. I just don't enjoy it as much as alpine skiing. When we went to Gore/WF 2 weeks ago 2 of us brought a lot of stuff...skis, xc skis, ice skates, snowshoes, snow boots, big box of food, case of beer, bottles of wine, backpacks, camelbacks and all the clothes needed for all those sports, plus 3 dogs and their gear. We used about 80% of the stuff. Never went skating. Drank all the beer and wine of course.

When I go to Utah I bring my ski bag with my ski pants and jackets wrapped around my skis. I also put my hiking boots in with my skis. I wear hiking boots instead of snowboots because they take up less room than sorrells and are more versatile and can be used with snowshoes.

I always carry my boots in my carry-on.

I also bring a nice big plastic bottle of Takkaa Vodka as a gift to my hostess. It's decent vodka and comes in a plastic bottle, so I pack it nice n snug in the middle of all my clothing/fleece sweaters.

I never travel with a hair dryer (takes up too much room) or make-up (I don't wear the stuff) and I often don't bring shampoo either because it just takes up too much room. I'll either buy it when I arrive, or use the stuff at the hotel or what my friend has. Those things just take up too much room and the liquds/gels can explode in your bag during travel. I don't go on a ski trip to be a beauty queen...just a powder whore.

Sharon":3e7a24ig said:
When I go to Utah I bring my ski bag with my ski pants and jackets wrapped around my skis.

Good luck trying that stunt this year.

Admin":n4734hbj said:
Sharon":n4734hbj said:
When I go to Utah I bring my ski bag with my ski pants and jackets wrapped around my skis.

Why for? Are the airlines looking into ski bags, seeing something other than skis, and reclassifying it as oversize luggage?

Marc_C":38eqcv3l said:
Admin":38eqcv3l said:
Sharon":38eqcv3l said:

Why for? Are the airlines looking into ski bags, seeing something other than skis, and reclassifying it as oversize luggage?

Yes, more and more often. The exception for skis from oversize baggage rules is that the luggage contain only one pair of skis and one set of poles. Anything else and they'll often throw the ski equipment exception out the window and charge oversize.

Admin":25i3br1d said:
Anything else and they'll often throw the ski equipment exception out the window and charge oversize.

I've *never* heard of that happening. Must be those unfriendlies at SLC Airport.

jamesdeluxe":28wnkka5 said:
Admin":28wnkka5 said:
Anything else and they'll often throw the ski equipment exception out the window and charge oversize.

I've *never* heard of that happening. Must be those unfriendlies at SLC Airport.

Yes, it has happened. Usually at airports that aren't ski destinations, like Newark.

Here's a very complete and detailed list of the various airline rules: http://www.snowpak.com/news/toolkit/skiandsnowboardbagfees.html You'll see that some airlines are very specific about the ski bag containing only skis and poles (American, United) while others are a bit more seemingly lenient (Delta).

Remember, it all depends on:
  • individual airline rules
    how strict the airline is at the departure point
    the mood of the agent you get

I also know of instances where someone had to get a later flight because TSA prevented them from boarding their original flight due to suspicion of explosives. When they packed their skis, the explosive residue from avi control bombs transferred to their hands, then to the outside of their luggage, at a high enough level to cause the GC output to indicate a no-go.

jamesdeluxe":e7t34p4j said:
Marc_C":e7t34p4j said:
Yes, it has happened. Usually at airports that aren't ski destinations, like Newark.

Do you have to snap at every bucket of chum thrown overboard?
Hey! You started it with that SLC crack! :D
Are we cranky from the recent 60F and downpour? :-k

Pretty good...one whole page of posts before we got into a food fight.

FYI things look way better up here than I thought. A few inches last night and a few more on the way. Bulk of the storm headed south of here.

Just so I'm not too OT...my wife packs more than me...but way less than most I'm guessing. Comes from having no closets I'm guessing.

Plus I'm cutting her a ton of slack tonight as she just caught a mouse in a bucket.

EDIT: It did look like Sharon had a ton of stuff packed in her Subie for the weekend....but when the girl is crackin beers in the parking lot and serving up cheese and crackers...it's puts the whole thing in a different light. :D

Harvey44":3upl0y66 said:
Pretty good...one whole page of posts before we got into a food fight.
EDIT: It did look like Sharon had a ton of stuff packed in her Subie for the weekend....but when the girl is crackin beers in the parking lot and serving up cheese and crackers...it's puts the whole thing in a different light. :D

There were 2 of us plus 3 dogs and we had food for the weekend and our bedding. All that stuff takes up room...not to mention the snow toys.

I sure hope NWA doesn't check inside my ski bag. I always pack like that. Maybe I'll go light on the clothes in the ski bag...just pack my pants and jackets to cushion my skis...I'll just tell them that I do that to keep my skis from getting damaged in shipping. I'll pack my hiking boots in my regular luggage, or maybe I'll wear'm...though I prefer wearing clogs when I travel on a plane so I can easily kick them off.

Back