Real Salt Lake / TRAX

q

I'm looking for a little help for my trip in a couple months time. I usually go to the NBA and bars on foot from the Motel 6 in downtown(176 West 600th South Street).

Today I was listening to the football, or soccer to some, on the radio and they were talking to Kenny Deuchar who is a Scottish striker who plays for Real Salt Lake. It got me to thinking about perhaps going to watch a game as the season normally starts around the end of my trip. A quick check and I can go and watch Real Salt Lake v Columbus Crew on Thursday 2nd April kick-off 6pm.

I need some help with this. Apparently the stadium is between 9000 and 9400 South in Sandy and I can get a TRAX to 9000, 9400 and 10000 South. Which would be best? Is 900 South the closest to my Motel? Will it be stupidly busy and am I correct in thinking that I need the "701 - NORTH/SOUTH TRAX LINE"?

Finally once in the general area of the stadium, are there any bars that I could go to before/after the game without to much of a detour? Anyone been to the stadium and know if you get a beer?

q":ax8tfqpa said:
I need some help with this. Apparently the stadium is between 9000 and 9400 South in Sandy and I can get a TRAX to 9000, 9400 and 10000 South. Which would be best?

9000 S

Is 9000 South the closest to my Motel?

Yes.

Will it be stupidly busy

Not likely.

and am I correct in thinking that I need the "701 - NORTH/SOUTH TRAX LINE"?

Never heard it called that. On the map it's just the Sandy-Salt Lake Trax Line (blue):

TRAXmap1208.jpg

Finally once in the general area of the stadium, are there any bars that I could go to before/after the game without to much of a detour?

Sandy Station is nearby (it seems to have been renamed Club Allure), but I've never been there. From what I understand it's more of a nightclub than a neighborhood bar:

http://www.myspace.com/allureslc

There are several others in the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...592441,-111.913351&spn=0.031089,0.061712&z=14

Anyone been to the stadium

Not me. It's less than three months old.

and know if you get a beer?

Yep:
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...erfect-pitch-inside-the-new-rio-tinto-stadium

Before they moved into their new stadium they played at Rice-Eccles Stadium at the University of Utah, which is why there was no beer before.

Thanks Admin, thats exactly the info I wanted. All I need to do now is wait for the tickets to become available :D

Admin":1bqaai74 said:
q":1bqaai74 said:
I need some help with this. Apparently the stadium is between 9000 and 9400 South in Sandy and I can get a TRAX to 9000, 9400 and 10000 South. Which would be best?

9000 S
Disagree. It's a much shorter walk from the 9400S stop.

TRAX is the light rail system installed for the Olympics. It's very similar to the city trains in Amsterdam and Den Haag (The Hague).

DELTA6.jpg

Marc_C":3ws58t67 said:
TRAX is the light rail system installed for the Olympics.

And currently being expanded. As the map shows, there are now two primary lines -- one north/south from SLC to Sandy, and the other east/west from SLC to the University of Utah. East/west spur lines are currently being developed to the airport, and to various suburbs in the west Valley.

Downtown, it runs as a trolley system:

lrg-4717-delts145-ssp-4.jpg

Once outside of downtown, however, the same trains run at a good clip on dedicated tracks.

Last year the FrontRunner high speed commuter train debuted, connecting SLC to Ogden and reducing the I-15 corridor congestion through Davis County:

9130.1225721301.jpg

slc-rpr-phase1-corridorMap3x_uta.gif

A second FrontRunner line connecting SLC to Provo is currently under development.

Snowbasin has started providing transportation from the Ogden FrontRunner depot to the slopes.

Always curious how cities that have low density levels manage to attain critical mass with public transport. What kind of ridership numbers does TRAX post? Who rides it?

I'd assume that anyone who can afford to drive a car probably does.

You'd be surprised, then. Ridership on both TRAX and FrontRunner is well ahead of projections. Those east/west spurs weren't supposed to be started until 2017, but they're being started now due to ridership numbers.

Hi folks,

Rather than start a new thread I figured my old one was sensible enough to ask the question.

When I visit SLC in March/April I am taking in my usual NBA and MLS(info last year was spot on) but also heading to see Muse at the E Center and possibly some hockey and indoor football.

Anyway, I'm caught between driving which will be easy enough or taking the TRAX down to Millcreek and getting what I think is the number 35 UTA bus that seems to run between Millcreek and Magna. Route 35

Can someone who knows the ins and outs of the UTA system take a look at that map and see if it is the one I'd need and confirm that I am correct in thinking from the schedule that the closest stop will be 3500 SOUTH & REDWOOD RD or will the bus stop closer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated including whether it is too much hassle to take the TRAX then the 35. Considering it seems to be a major arena the information on the website for public transport to get there is beyond useless.

Q.

Thanks Admin, as ever your on the ball.

I was'nt sure as the route times didnt show any stops after Redwood. The parking lot ticks the boxes but obviously I might fancy a beer so will see nearer the time.

When I went to the MLS last spring I followed the info and got off at 9400 and past Jordan Commons but went straight to the soccer. Is there any restaurants in there that you would recommend? I'm into steaks, burgers, seafood but not a fan of Italian......

There are restaurants in there, but none that I could in good conscience recommend.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

Admin":3huiym6f said:
q":3huiym6f said:
Finally once in the general area of the stadium, are there any bars that I could go to before/after the game without to much of a detour?

Sandy Station is nearby (it seems to have been renamed Club Allure), but I've never been there. From what I understand it's more of a nightclub than a neighborhood bar:

http://www.myspace.com/allureslc

There are several others in the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...592441,-111.913351&spn=0.031089,0.061712&z=14

Whatever you do, don't go to Club Allure. I've been there twice. Once on a weeknight, it was empty, like we were the only 2 people there. Second time was New Years Even 2 years ago; there was a line to be patted down for weapons and signs up saying no gang colors allowed. It was rough in there to say the least.

rfarren":17syuvq9 said:
Where is the parking lot that you catch the bus that goes up to Alta?

There are many, but none on route 35. That's on the west side of the Valley. Here's the full UTA route map:
http://rideuta.com/images/slcsystemmap1209large.jpg

but for some reason that doesn't show the ski routes, which are here:
http://rideuta.com/images/skimap1208.jpg

That map is old, however, and doesn't include the new Park 'n Ride lot at 3900 S and Wasatch which is very underutilized and will continue to be so until more than one ski bus a day stops there.

Back