Was this site running pro-CA 8 ads?

While I'm hesitant to revive this topic, an email received today from Google AdSense reinforces a point I made that was disputed.

At the time I wrote:

Admin":2ja04nnh said:
We're not able to make a decision regarding these blocking these ads if I don't see them -- Google buries the identification code necessary to block a specific ad run within the ads themselves. Google AdSense does not give us pre-approval rights regarding any ads that it places on our site..

This was a point to which ChrisC took issue:

ChrisC":2ja04nnh said:
I am very aware of Google AdSense and AdWords. I helped build them. And there are a lot opt out features.

Now just today in an email from Google:

Google":2ja04nnh said:
One of the top requests we've heard from publishers is to have more control over the ads appearing on their sites. We've been working to address your feedback, and today at ADSPACE, our team announced an upcoming beta test of a new feature in the Ad Review Center called category filtering.

Category filtering will give publishers the ability to block ads that fall into specific categories such as dating, religion, and politics. Regardless of how ads are targeted, they'll be filtered if they're within one of the selected categories. We'll also show the percentage of recent revenue that ads in each category generate, so publishers can predict how filtering selections will impact their revenue.

We'll be launching category filtering as a beta to a small group of publishers to collect initial feedback about the feature. Here's a preview of what the feature currently looks like, but please keep in mind that the layout and categories may change based on feedback from beta test participants.

Although we're not able to expand the limited beta to additional publishers at this point, we wanted to give you a glimpse into one of the ways we're working to give you more control over your ads so you can ensure a positive experience for your users. We'll continue to refine this feature, and hope to be able to roll it out more widely in coming months. Please stay tuned to the blog for any updates, and feel free to leave us a comment in the meantime.

I am very aware of Google AdSense and AdWords. I helped build them. And there are a lot opt out features.

IMHO your issue is with Google and those that built the AdSense program. Oops, that's you! [-X

IMHO your issue is with Google and those that built the AdSense program.
I read somewhere that there were actually gay-oriented websites that got hit with those same day-before-the-election Yes-On-8 Ads! #-o

Tony Crocker":wcuf27nn said:
IMHO your issue is with Google and those that built the AdSense program.
I read somewhere that there were actually gay-oriented websites that got hit with those same day-before-the-election Yes-On-8 Ads! #-o

I no longer work for the company in question. However, working on political campagins, it's easier to funnel cash to certain causes. And since Develpment/Engineering is so dominant at Google, it's easier getting certain things done from outside the organization. (...one advocated by so many people for a long, long time....)

So you might as well add it / discuss this item with Arnold Schwarzenegger's ex-Deputy Chief of Staff
http://cetfund.org/board/lajeunesse
And make an someone's/classmate's first year at Google a giant pain in the ass.

And you might as well add it to someone's Communications responsibilities. And just make more work for anyone/everyone.

And you might as well create as much general misery as you can....more hours in the day off their schedule.

So what happens? Engineering/Development re-prioritzes an effort. (And how do you control a room full of people who many are worth $10M plus to do something? A combination of ethics, passion, politics, mangers, clips, general kindness, answer why?, is it right?).

So there are now a lot of new Adsense features; more understanding; fewer lawsuits; less waste of money....let's move on.

jamesdeluxe":1b5ulzoi said:
So you're admitting that Admin wasn't trying to use FTO to turn us into Dick Cheney zombies?

Admin worked at as patrol at Jay, they are a bunch of Cheney supporters there.

I noticed that a patrol (Admin's age or older) in the Tram this Spring had a Cheney campaign button. He was a supporter of a "Satan-Cheney" ticket. :twisted:

Patrick":2nh9wgb7 said:
jamesdeluxe":2nh9wgb7 said:
So you're admitting that Admin wasn't trying to use FTO to turn us into Dick Cheney zombies?

Admin worked at as patrol at Jay, they are a bunch of Cheney supporters there.

I noticed that a patrol (Admin's age or older) in the Tram this Spring had a Cheney campaign button. He was a supporter of a "Satan-Cheney" ticket. :twisted:

Vermont doesn't have any gun control laws. The people here have far better firearms discipline than Cheney. ...though they do applaud the notion of shooting a lawyer and calling it "a hunting accident". Cheney would get votes just for that.

jamesdeluxe":2y58d87k said:

Well every site needs a token liberal. Marc (I mean Admin) sends me a check for 20% Google Adsense revenue --- to create chaos, web postings and traffic to his site. It's working out...

I got $200 last month for this string....what did you all get? :)

:lol:

During the 14 years or so that I belonged to SkiVT-L I was the token conservative.

In VT that's not a huge surprise.

I did some Googling to see if I could find the any independent data on whether skiers are liberal or conservative as a whole. I found nada. It's probably geo-dependent.

Anybody know?

Harvey44":330kosjo said:
I did some Googling to see if I could find the any independent data on whether skiers are liberal or conservative as a whole. I found nada. It's probably geo-dependent.

Anybody know?

You just have to ask...

Here is something on Canadian Politicians that I mentioned in the Obama and Ski Industry thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7095&p=37501#p37501

As I mentioned in that other thread, skiing has 3x the participation in Canada as in the U.S.

I found nada. It's probably geo-dependent.
Yes, and if you look at the SE quadrant of the U.S. that has no or marginal ski areas, it no doubt has the lowest participation rate. Given that quadrant's politics it not hard to guess that the skier population should be slightly biased the other way.

Age distribution could introduce a bias also, but I don't think it does.

Harvey44":2cs7ye3j said:
In VT that's not a huge surprise.

Anybody know?

The participants in that list are a couple standard deviations to the left of the median in Vermont politics. Most of the state is quite middle of the road. The population is so low that it's overwhelmed by university-dominated Chittenden County.

I doubt skier political demographics are much different from anything else. I imagine most are somewhat more 'green' than is typical in the US but the rest of the politics probably align pretty well with the regional norm.

The pro-CA 8 ads are long gone, but the Adbot served up a web banner with an online chat session featuring members of The Church of Latter Day Saints... they explained parts of their religion about which I had questions and invited me to learn more about Joe Smith. I mentioned that I grew up not far from the cradle of Mormonism in upstate NY and had visited Palmyra. They were impressed.

Love them Mo's!

EMSC":2pnoacby said:
jamesdeluxe":2pnoacby said:
invited me to learn more about Joe Smith

I'm still waiting to see the gold tablets.
Do you have your seer stones?

Sidebar: when I first moved here, coming from NJ/NYC Metro/CT, I pronounced the name of the angel - Moroni - on all LDS temples as if he was a good Italian boy. A coworker corrected me to the actual pronunciation: more-o-neye

Back