How often do you have your bindings checked?

Sharon

I suppose ideally we should have them checked once per season, but how many of you actually do that?

My friend broke her leg on Saturday because her binding didn't release. She said she has never had them checked and never even thought of it until now.

Self check? Theoretically, provided you know what the release force/torque should be for all the release modes of your bindings, for your weight, for your height, for the length of your boot, for your skiing ability.

Oh, you'd also need a way to measure all those force/torque combinations, specifically a calibrated torque wrench attached to some kind of boot insert. There are some so-called home self-tests (google around for them) but realistically, for most skiers, these qualitative tests result in settings that are too low.

Marc_C":q6tijl8m said:
Self check? Theoretically, provided you know what the release force/torque should be for all the release modes of your bindings, for your weight, for your height, for the length of your boot, for your skiing ability.

Oh, you'd also need a way to measure all those force/torque combinations, specifically a calibrated torque wrench attached to some kind of boot insert. There are some so-called home self-tests (google around for them) but realistically, for most skiers, these qualitative tests result in settings that are too low.

So, I'll take that as a no. Wow, I better get my binding checked. :oops:

I get my bindings checked by a reputable ski mechanic at the beginning of each ski season, when I have a full tune done on my skis. I will sometimes have them checked a second time during the season, if I'm going on a longer ski trip. There's not much point in having releasable (is that real word?) bindings, if they don't release when they should. For most recreational skiers, I would think you would want the bindings to work properly and to release in a bad fall. I analogize that it's a little like driving a car and not wearing your seat belt. One bad accident and you could be a goner. Why take that risk?

berkshireskier":3jepnli1 said:
I get my bindings checked by a reputable ski mechanic at the beginning of each ski season, when I have a full tune done on my skis. I will sometimes have them checked a second time during the season, if I'm going on a longer ski trip. There's not much point in having releasable (is that real word?) bindings, if they don't release when they should. For most recreational skiers, I would think you would want the bindings to work properly and to release in a bad fall. I analogize that it's a little like driving a car and not wearing your seat belt. One bad accident and you could be a goner. Why take that risk?

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

sadly though, I think you are in the minority

Marc_C, do you have your bindings checked annually?

Sharon":3gn76ldy said:
Marc_C, do you have your bindings checked annually?
Yep. As the others have responded, once a year, at the beginning of the season, when I get the damage from the prior May and June repaired.

I called my shop to check in about this...

they recommend the binding check annually.

They charge $30 for a binding check and $30 for a ski tune.

Sharon":1k0qn72b said:
They charge $30 for a binding check and $30 for a ski tune.
That's a typical fee for the binding check, however the $30 tune is a very good deal. That's about what I pay at the Alta Ski Shop, and that's with a 30% discount for season pass holders.

Back