NASJA Meeting in Lutsen, MN

flyover

Only one more (NASJA at Lutsen) coming this season though.

Lutsen, as in Lutsen, MN? Really?

Wrong side of the big lake for much lake-effect, but they've generally got good snow preservation, a respectable vertical drop relative to the midwest (they claim 1000, I think, but IMO the true continuous vertical can't be more than about 800) and some relatively decent trees if the conditions are right. Hope its not anytime too soon. Starting last weekend, just about the entire Lake Superior basin went from about a month of not-so-unusual really cold temps to about five days of pretty-unusual big-time thaw, with some rain. Now everything is frozen again.

One extremely cool thing about Lutsen is the surrounding North Shore environment and topography. If you're flying into Duluth, IMO its worth it to take your time driving up the shore and check out some of the beaches, bluffs, palisades, (frozen) waterfalls, etc. The North Shore of Superior is not entirely unlike parts of the Maine Coast. Pine-covered rocky hills, crashing waves, red-roofed coastguard buildings, seagulls (well maybe not so many in winter), etc. Skiing Lutsen can also be fun because, in terms of the resort infrastructure, its a bit like stepping back in time to the 60s or 70s.

For a truly unique ski experience, you could try some local creek skiing:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/03/10/tr ... ering.html

Flyover probably doesn't know that I'm a member of North American Snowsports Journalist Assn., whose annual meeting is at Lutsen March 18-22. The meeting was scouted by NASJA officers in 2006, and they report that other unique experiences in the area are what will make the trip. The Onion River excursion in that article is one of the optional activities for which I signed up. There will be only one day that everyone skis at Lutsen. Price is very heavily subsidized at $199 all inclusive of lodging, food and activities. But we still have to fly to Minneapolis or Duluth, and given that signups were greatly delayed vs. past meetings (starting about 2 weeks ago vs. November in many cases) I expect much lower than normal attendance.

Flyover probably doesn't know that I'm a member of North American Snowsports Journalist Assn., whose annual meeting is at Lutsen March 18-22.

I figured out the NASJA part. Not knowing anything about the NASJA, however, I guess I was just surprised the meeting isn't somewhere, well, more mountainous. That being said, given that the "S" stands for "snowsports" and not lift skiing, the choice of destination seems a little less surprising; there are very good options nearby for x-country skiing, snowshoeing, mushing, and (I hate to say it) snowmobiling.

The Onion River excursion in that article is one of the optional activities for which I signed up.

I've skied it many times; usually skinning up to the top of either "Mt." LeVeaux or Oberg and back down (about 1000 vert with some decent shots through the trees). The waterfalls and steep slides of the Onion itself make for some short stretches of nice technical turns when the snow is deep. When I first started skiing the North Shore creeks 15+ years ago, the rivers were mostly untracked when we skied them. As the Times article makes clear, however, the secret is out. Enjoy!

OK, I'll stop hi-jacking this thread now.

It was "Ski Journalist," changed to accomodate snowboarding. I've been a member (http://nasja.org) since 1999, attended first annual meeting that April at Mammoth, fortuitously experiencing a huge powder day: http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818 ... mthtc.HTML

I then attended annual meetings in:
Mt. Bachelor 2000
Big Sky 2001
Banff 2002
Quebec City/Charlevoix 2003
Telluride 2004
Crested Butte 2007

In 2005, 2006 and 2008 I attended NASJA West regional meetings in Northstar/Sierra, Jackson Hole and Whistler instead of the annuals in northern Idaho (I was going but bugged out 2 weeks ahead in that disastrous PNW season), Kimberley (schedule conflict with Egypt eclipse trip) and Bretton Woods (late in season at an eastern area not favored by FTO easterners).

It turns out the 2006 annual meeting had other issues: http://industryreport.mountainnews.com/ ... ts_1.shtml

The West does get ~75% of the annual meetings, but the western attendance at eastern annual meetings is not that great. Despite the :brick: I throw here, I do follow and analyze eastern skiing and think the occasional subsidized trip is worth it to add personal experience to my snow analyses and what I read from you easterners on FTO. Most western skiers, even among journalists, consider North American skiing east of the Rockies not worth their time or interest. I will confess that is close to my attitude about Midwest skiing, but based upon the testimonials of the NASJA officers who visited and the cheap price I'm making the Lutsen trip as a new experience that I certainly would never have considered on my own.

While I expect to enjoy the trip, the signup process started very late and given the prevailing western attitude it would not surprise me to see Lutsen attendance even lower than 2006.

Next year's annual is at Tamarack in Idaho, still operating despite well-publicized financial problems.

NASJA can be quite helpful to freelancers such as myself, but many such as Admin who are much higher on the ski journalism food chain don't think they need it and can easily deal with resorts directly when necessary. I'm 56 and probably close to average age of western members and well below average age of the eastern contingent. There are many retirees who can go to meetings after 20 years of membership and not enough younger writers, photographers as we would like to have. The recent trend of annual meetings is probably not helpful in attracting new members.

Most western skiers, even among journalists, consider North American skiing east of the Rockies not worth their time or interest. I will confess that is close to my attitude about Midwest skiing

Hell, I live here and its close to my attitude as well - at least for lift skiing (check out my username.) Which explains my surprise that NASJA would meet in Northeastern MN.

The areas around Lake Superior do offer a little more vertical, and (on the South Shore) more snow than much of what is commonly referred to as the "midwest." However, I would never suggest to any serious skier from the Northeast or the West that they consider at trip to the Lake Superior region to lift ski. Friends that I trust tell me that the one possible (and I emphasize "possible") exception might be Mt. Bohemia out on MI's Keweenaw Peninsula: 900 vert, 250+ inches a year, steep and treed, generally good snow preservation (generally really freakin cold midwinter), all "natural" (rumor has it they don't even have a groomer), an 8 hours from the nearest large city. I have yet to make the 8 hour drive out there, however, so I can't vouch for the place personally.

Most of us have heard about Mt. Bohemia and are intrigued, but it's a long way from anywhere. I thought there might be a pre-trip to the U.P. areas but there is not. Even within the Midwest the bigger ski hills are a serious schelp from the metro areas. Minneapolis to Lutsen or Detroit to Boyne is as long as L.A. to Mammoth or NYC to Killington. And the U.P. is farther yet.

I will be interested to see if Lutsen skiing is as good as Big Bear or Stoneham, a close eastern analogy.

Lutsen claims 300 acres and that's probably accurate. But since it's noticeably flatter, probably a modest notch below Snow Summit or Stoneham in "vertical variety."

Attendance was 74, just over half the previous low attendance. I won one of the Harold Hirsch journalism awards but only 3 of the 6 winners plus 5 honorable mentions were present despite the registration being free for award winners. Lutsen was very slow getting the online registration going, ready only in late January. Given that the site was not an easy sell to eastern and western members, registration should have been up early (November is typical) and accompanied by aggressive promotion, as in Quebec in 2003. That said, marketing director Jim Vick was an excellent host, all the activities were well organized and the hospitality was great. They just needed more help on the IT side to get that registration going. As mentioned in the other thread by both flyover and me, Lutsen is a worthwhile destination for the varied and unusual activities available.

The good news is that NASJA has turned around the somewhat unsettling trend in annual meetings. The Ski Idaho tourism group stepped into the breach of the Tamarack shutdown and helped arrange next year's annual meeting at Sun Valley. The dates got pushed a week forward to March 24-28, so not so convenient for me to just head over there after the Iron Blosam week. Maybe I should do the "q" tour of obscure Montana areas during the extra week.

The 2011 meeting will be in Alyeska, obviously a must-do for me after my epic week there 2 years ago. It will be timed to coincide with the start of the Iditarod in Anchorage. This is likely to take a bite out of one end of my Iron Blosam week, but those are the breaks.

Curious to see what Lutsen looks like. Can someone explain again why Tony is unable to post same-day photos?

I generally do not take a computer with me. I had one this time but it was a PITA to get online with it as Admin can attest. I have limited time on computers at hotels etc. and those computers may not have card readers in any case. I believe there is value to getting the report up on a timely basis even if the pictures have to wait until I get home and have the time to look at them. It could be worse; it could be Patrick.

Tony Crocker":2g751fuq said:
It could be worse; it could be Patrick.
As moderator of a place advertising no-bull reports, you should lead by example and stop with the excuses. And part of the no-bull is not posting week-old photos in already-existing threads (or in Patrick's case, year-old photos). TRs are like news -- if they aren't posted quickly (within a day or so), it's like reading a paper from last month... not nearly as fun or helpful.

There, I said it.

jamesdeluxe":10jt8mja said:
Tony Crocker":10jt8mja said:
It could be worse; it could be Patrick.
As moderator of a place advertising no-bull reports, you should lead by example and stop with the excuses. And part of the no-bull is not posting week-old photos in already-existing threads (or in Patrick's case, year-old photos). TRs are like news -- if they aren't posted quickly (within a day or so), it's like reading a paper from last month... not nearly as fun or helpful.

There, I said it.

That is why I'm holding on to the scanned pics from last June, July, August, September and October. Posting June Mt. Washington pics now would be totally out of context. Oh yeah, some of them are spectacular. :stir: :lol:

Patrick":2m4g3eqt said:
That is why I'm holding on to the scanned pics from last June, July, August, September and October. Posting June Mt. Washington pics now would be totally out of context.
Ah, part of a grand master plan. :^o

My point is that TRs are, at least in-season, what this forum lives on, or so I thought. If everyone slacks off and can't be bothered to take photos and/or post them promptly, well... that ain't right.

jamesdeluxe":1ljq6tp2 said:
Patrick":1ljq6tp2 said:
That is why I'm holding on to the scanned pics from last June, July, August, September and October. Posting June Mt. Washington pics now would be totally out of context.
Ah, part of a grand master plan. :^o

My point is that TRs are, at least in-season, what this forum lives on, or so I thought. If everyone slacks off and can't be bothered to take photos and/or post them promptly, well... that ain't right.

Well, posting July pics in Winter isn't right either and be totally irrelevant with what skiing is actually. Plus It would get lost in the traffic of numerous TRs posted in Winter. :roll: :lol:

Patrick":1cjiy236 said:
Well, posting July pics in Winter isn't right either and be totally irrelevant with what skiing is actually. Plus It would get lost in the traffic of numerous TRs posted in Winter. :roll: :lol:
I give up. :|

We all like pictures, especially when they are of powderfreak or JSpin quality, but in terms of getting out timely info the report is what matters most. This particularly true in places like SoCal or the Northeast where conditions a week after the report may be totally different. I also believe the reports usually are a more accurate and comprehensive record. A skilled photographer like powderfreak or JSpin will often cherry-pick the best shots, which may not be representative of the mountain as a whole.

Unfortunately I've been busy every night since I got back so the delay in pics is a bit worse this time. And I do think there is a difference between 1-2 weeks delay and several months.

I'm also wondering where Patrick's reports (never mind pics) are from last week's Ontario spring break.

Tony Crocker":s3l1hzf9 said:
I'm also wondering where Patrick's reports (never mind pics) are from last week's Ontario spring break.
Blame it on:

1) my High School reunion organisational deadlines. :roll:
2) my daughter making a movie summary for school with the pix and video from her camera with the computer :shock:
2a) class computer not able to read the movie. [-(
2b) me trying to convert the file into an MP4 when I noticed that my daughter uses of IMovie for the first time plus adding her pics/video used the last free 8gigs on my computer. :eek:
2c) Trying to free space, accidently deleted part of her movie file. ](*,)
2d) Trying to recuperate her file from the emptied trashed until past midnight last night to no avail. I realized that I might need a external harddrive if my daughter starts using IMOvie. :x

Tony Crocker":q7q49059 said:
A skilled photographer like powderfreak or JSpin will often cherry-pick the best shots, which may not be representative of the mountain as a whole.
Of course, all of us cherry-pick what we post. The only way to get a reliable view of conditions on a particular day is to post a three- to four-hour headcam video. Tony keeps bringing up the whole "but that's not representative" thing because that's his bailiwick -- trying to "predict" where you'll have the best chances of scoring ideal snow... something that I understand, but disagree with because you're always rolling the dice, unless you live nearby.

Even though I posted pix of other stuff from Stratton, what I'll remember most is lapping 2,000 verts of perfect corn on empty greens and blues while one ridge over, hundreds of people were simultaneously scraping down the same trail. I'll never get the herd mentality.

Picture167a.jpg

Lower Middlebrook

^^^ Not exciting for most people, who are always panting for more LCC-style visuals (that's why I didn't post it), but I can meditate on that for a while, because I'm easy to please.

Tony Crocker":q7q49059 said:
Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose... I learned this morning that Patrick not only went to Le Massif and Grand Fonds during the break, but scored excellent conditions. He's clearly into the secrecy thing.

I'll never get the herd mentality.
James and I are dead-on in agreement here. This is a key reason for my preference for the larger areas. The herd never distributes itself evenly over a large mountain. There are almost always outlying sectors with low skier density.

Back