Chair Lift for One?

mikesathome

Here is the scoop.
I am trying to get some friends to ski Colorado with me march 27th - March 31st, so far no luck in getting anyone to bite on the trip. (my ski buddy/wife is Prego and can’t go but she keeps telling I can, she rocks! :)
Reason friends can’t make it include Kids, Wives, Job losses, out of shape, Etc. Etc.
I have no problem traveling/staying/eating/drinking alone, as I do it a lot for my IT job.
I just wonder about the skiing part.
I thought about ways to reduce my risk when skiing alone, sticking close to the chair lifts, staying off the really crazy runs, keeping out of the trees, Sticking to the higher traffic trails.
Some might ask why ski at all if you have to do this? I am from the mid-west, nuff said!

I can talk it up with the best of them, most times on chair lifts it’s hard to shut me up, and I have ended up skiing or boarding with people I meet on the lift, so that’s always an option.
Another question is, what’s a ski host? Can I just grab one of these gals/guys and say let’s go ride for 5 or 6 hours, or till my legs give out?
Also I would meet up with any FTO people if they happen to be out there skiing BREK, VAIL, A-Basin

Just wanted to see some peoples thoughts on this :mrgreen:

I guess I'm a crazy person. I ski alone quite a bit, including some of my best days in terms of powder, vertical etc. I also explore new stuff alone, recent days at Revelstoke and Apex being examples. Sidecountry you should be with someone who knows the area, but inbounds rarely a problem. Most areas you can scout terrain while riding lifts, particularly useful observing skiers to see if they are having any difficulties with terrain or snow. There are a very few areas (Red Mt. comes to mind) where you can't see what you're getting into and finding a local or snow host to start is a good idea.

Another question is, what’s a ski host? Can I just grab one of these gals/guys and say let’s go ride for 5 or 6 hours, or till my legs give out?
No, there will usually be fixed meeting times to ski with a host, such as 10AM and 1:30PM. Host tours will go at the pace of the slowest skier in the group and many will not do double-blacks even upon request. The places like Red where you really need guidance are the ones that tend to be more accommodating. Vail and Breck are the kind of places where I think most better skiers would not need a snow host, though hooking up with a knowledgeable local like ESMC would be great.

I have ended up skiing or boarding with people I meet on the lift, so that’s always an option.
Or better yet, while you're skiing, so presumably you have similar tastes in terrain. This was the case with the Loup Loup patroller at Apex.

There are many people (admin being an example from recent post) for whom the social aspect is almost essential to a good ski day. I know I'm at the opposite extreme. So this is another one of those questions with no right or wrong answer, depends upon the individual. Whatever you're comfortable with should work fine.

Unless I have another medical emergency, I should be in CO from the 24th till the 29th of march. Hopefully, I won't have medical problems.

Based on your destination you might want to check out this pass:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2009/1/29/Arapahoe-Basin-Introduces-New-Spring-Skiing-Pass/

I did this last year when I went to Keystone. You can buy this A-basin season pass online, you can use it 5 days at Keystone or Breck, and 1 of those days can be used at Vail, plus unlimited skiing at A-basin. Depending on how many days you are going to be out there for $279 it's a steal. I paid $309 last year and did 5 days at keystone and 1 at abasin.

Sounds like both rfarren and mikesathome will be out this way at the same time. My pass is good @ WP & Copper this year, though I can usually get cheap tickets for myself at Breck, and/or might be time to hit the Basin by then. I've been avoiding too much planning for late season. I'll be running races at Eldo the weekend prior which will be my only non-real-job focus right up till that is over - starting about a week from now (guess I better get my Tahoe trip video done soon!).

Still, as we get nearer the date let me know what you're thinking (or PM me).

My friend has passes at breck keystone and abasin. However, I really want to ski at least 2 days at vail. He has a condo in Dillon, so we'll be making that our base of operation. I just hope that I'm all better by then.

Lot's of good info everyone!
As time get's closer I will contact everyone that might be out there, and see if we can plan something.
I defiantly want to hit Vail 1 of my 4 or 5 days I will be skiing, and A-Basin once (never been there)
I didn't care for Keystone that much, but the cat skiing was cool there.

Back