where to go the week of april 10th

jasoncapecod

As some of you know I've had a crap 6 months. I might be able to go out west the week of April 10th. Where would you go? Mammoth , SLC, ????
Yes cost is a consideration ..I will have 4 days.. Any suggestion , also i might have my daughters too...

jasoncapecod":rhua54bs said:
As some of you know I've had a crap 6 months.

When do you find time to leave the bathroom to eat or sleep?

jasoncapecod":rhua54bs said:
Where would you go? Mammoth , SLC, ????

With only four days, I'd skip Mammoth due to accessibility issues.

Lake Louise/Sunshine are way down on snow this year, as is Whistler. So I would avoid those otherwise logical choices. The usual spring leaders, Mammoth and Bachelor should be good, Mammoth being farther ahead on snow. Despite the logistics, I think it's worth the effort for you if you have a whole week.

But if it's only 4 days including travel you should go to Denver or SLC. If the daughters are intermediates Denver would be better. If you're in SLC you will be skiing exclusively in the Cottonwood Canyons if you want decent snow, so keep that in mind in terms of abilities.

SLC!!! You fly in and ski the day of, and you can ski the last day. In terms of accessibility it doesn't get any better. Lodging there is downright cheap in sandy, and by april 10th there should be discounted tickets about everywhere.

rfarren":15jsdgea said:
SLC!!! You fly in and ski the day of, and you can ski the last day. In terms of accessibility it doesn't get any better.

Which is pretty similar to DIA to Loveland/A-basin. A touch farther from the airport, but not by much (about 1hr to 1:15 from DIA). Plus you get an extra 1-2K of altitude to -potentially- keep snow fresher at that time of year.

So what's the deal... is it four days including travel or four days on the ground? Regardless, with Mammoth being difficult to reach from the East Coast, it looks like Loveland/AB or the Cottonwoods are the only real options.

would like to fly out early tues morning and back on the red eye saturday night .. i have to work easter sunday..
my kids can handle most terrain..

jasoncapecod":29f5ynmi said:
would like to fly out early tues morning and back on the red eye saturday night .. i have to work easter sunday..
my kids can handle most terrain..

If you get the first flight out to SLC you'll be skiing at snowbird by about 12:00. If you stay in Sandy I'll bet you can find some really good deals. I always stay at the holiday in express because it has a hot tub, and includes free breakfast. It's not slopeside, but it is darn near snowbird.

If you're talking SLC, Continental flies direct from Newark, and jetBlue and Delta from JFK. All three have a great red-eye return.

Admin":19ahe0ua said:
If you're talking SLC, Continental flies direct from Newark, and jetBlue and Delta from JFK. All three have a great red-eye return.

Delta JFK is the best IMHO. It leaves at 6:55, and that means you are skiing that day.

rob's right...Delta Jfk departs 7am arrives slc 10:45

i'd have to leave my house at 4:30am to catch that flight..

jasoncapecod":cws79qvf said:

Yeah, but if you want to maximize your time on the ground that's the way to go.

it looks like Loveland/AB or the Cottonwoods are the only real options.
All of Summit County plus Vail/Beaver Creek will still be fully open that week. No question more choices in Colorado with decent snow conditions, as ESMC says. So I think this is a close decision unless you want a steady diet of AltaBird steeps.

jasoncapecod":3gb3iten said:

I leave my house at 4:30 every time for that flight. It really is no big deal. There is no traffic, the flight almost always leaves on-time. You sleep on the plane. No big deal.

Back