February Blues

rfarren

I just received a phone call from my father. He is in whistler, where I would be if it weren't for my present medical issues. He called me to complain that there was too much powder :twisted: :twisted: !!! I thought I was going to strangle him through the telephone. It just really bums me out that the week I was supposed to be out there it's snowing buckets. What's more is that I have to receive calls about how nice the skiing is.

I'm just jonesing the hill I guess. I wish I was out because I hurt myself skiing, not some weird post-surgical abdominal inflammation. I'm at this point where I'm just praying that I get better, let alone go skiing.

I love reading the reports on the forums. They make me happy because it gives me something to look forward to, but it just sucks seeing how awesome your ski trip would've been if you were completely healthy.

Want to feel better? Rain's heading east.

There. Aren't you glad I could help?

Admin":1v8hfrmb said:
Want to feel better? Rain's heading east.
After tracking it up in Vermont, I'll be in time to catch the snow back home. \:D/ Not all east has R*** in their forecast.

UGH!!! Whistler is reporting another 12 inches of snow over night. :evil: :evil: :cry:

Gosh, this ailment is so annoying, and this... this is just a slap to the face. Has anyone else missed a trip that would've been amazing due to illness or injury?

Your dad's Whistler situation is a close analogy to our experience there in 2005: conditions sucked (probably even worse) for an extended period, then it dumped right before we arrived.

My only mid-season injury was the torn meniscus Feb. 20, 1995, put me out of action until April 23. So no ski trip on Adam's spring break that year. We probably would have just gone to Mammoth, but that was Mammoth's record year for length of season and it did snow 4 feet the last week of March just before his break. The consolation prize was an excellent Memorial Day weekend and a final lift served day on July 15.

Well it sucks. All that powder!!! It's like winning the lotto then subsequently losing the ticket.

rfarren":1nvskhis said:
Has anyone else missed a trip that would've been amazing due to illness or injury?
Two trips, one missed, the other had planned activities scaled back a bit; both were rock climbing trips.

The missed one: a trip to Squamish BC was canceled when the father of one of my partners (a married couple) died the week before we were to leave.

The curtailed one: I sprained my ankle on our staircase 5 weeks before a 2 week Yosemite trip. Had to drastically cut back on both the difficulty and length of the routes I did.

Hang in there Rob , I hear you as have all kind of non skiing issues to keep me off the trails and out of the woods . The kids just told me about a drug bust at school today so looking forward to getting them back out into the woods.

rfarren":10f4snlp said:
Has anyone else missed a trip that would've been amazing due to illness or injury?

It wasn't a trip, but I missed 6-7 weeks of prime skiing due to family illness (not extremely serious stuff but debilitating) and also due to the economic meltdown in our business. January was excellent at Gore. In that 7 week period I would have skied at least 10 days.

As a kid I loved winter. As an adult, I used to muddle through the season. I took up skiing at 30 - a conscious decision - to embrace winter. I am completely hooked on winter and skiing. It's my favorite season.

This is the first season since I started skiing when I couldn't ski regularly. I realized this year that if I can't ski and travel to the mountains...I really don't like winter.

I can understand why you are frustrated.

Harvey44":1pczaph1 said:
rfarren":1pczaph1 said:

It wasn't a trip, but I missed 6-7 weeks of prime skiing due to family illness (not extremely serious stuff but debilitating)
Oh, if we're also going to include those types of things....last season I had an appendectomy on Dec 19. Didn't really ski again till the end of January. Lost about 15 days during the single biggest storm cycle in the Wasatch last winter.

Marc_C":1l8o6yyd said:
Oh, if we're also going to include those types of things....last season I had an appendectomy on Dec 19. Didn't really ski again till the end of January. Lost about 15 days during the single biggest storm cycle in the Wasatch last winter.

Marc, that is exactly what's going on with me. I had a post appendectomy inflammation. I had it on january 26th and I'm still not better! I missing the whole season, including a week long trip to whistler. I just hope I can ski by march 24th, when I'm due to arrive in Denver!

Marc, did you miss it because of the surgery alone, or because of complications?

rfarren":2vv68uk2 said:
Marc, that is exactly what's going on with me. I had a post appendectomy inflammation. I had it on january 26th and I'm still not better! I missing the whole season, including a week long trip to whistler. I just hope I can ski by march 24th, when I'm due to arrive in Denver!

Marc, did you miss it because of the surgery alone, or because of complications?
Surgery alone, no complications. On my followup visit on 12/24 (surgery was on 12/19) he said I could go skiing whenever I felt up to it - my body would let me know - but he recommended that I give it at least a week and a half. He also said to expect a 4 - 6 week recovery.

I went out the afternoon of 1/1 (1.5 weeks, like he said) and just barely managed 4 slow green circle runs - and paid for it in pain that night and the next day. Went out for my first real day 5 weeks after surgery. Managed the groomers ok, but anything with bumps killed me. Only started skiing somewhat normally in that 6th week, but I still felt it by the end of the day for at least the next 4 weeks.

Back