How Are Current Economic Conditions Affecting Your Skiing?

How Are Current Economic Conditions Affecting Your Skiing?

• Significantly, I'm cutting back at least 20%

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • A little, I'm cutting back less than 20%

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I'm skiing the same amount as a typical season, but more of the days are at places cheaper or closer

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No change

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • There's less competition now; I'm skiing more!

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
Tony Crocker":3kkm50ti said:
You'll still ski more than ~98% of industry insiders; based on feedback over the years from ski industry folks.
Any ballpark estimates of how much that is? I'm sure there's a wide distribution, depending upon the nature of one's job.

True. Ski patrollers and on-hill types may get a lot of time on snow, but certainly not make much money to do very much else in life in the process. And a lot of that time on snow is not really even what you and I would consider 'skiing'. More like traversing around the mtn dealing with various annoyances and getting the occasional fun run. Great view from the office, though I'm not much interested in top ramen noodles for dinner anymore myself.

I'm speaking more to those doing higher end portions of the salary range - such as they are in skiing - that us work-a-day types would think about using our current skills in: marketing, Ops management, finance, maybe owning a ski shop/related biz, etc... Those folks lives are all about skiing and they do usually make OK/decent salaries, yet vast majority spend maybe 20 days on the snow actually skiing. And yes there are a small handful that I've run into that make it a point to get in some decent time on the hill, but surprisingly to me that it is quite few of the senior management of ski resorts and related Biz that do make such time to make it happen.

Non-scientific of course, but I do ask when I bump into various industry folks and the answer is almost always way lower than you'd think or expect.

EMSC":bk5s0don said:
Non-scientific of course, but I do ask when I bump into various industry folks and the answer is almost always way lower than you'd think or expect.
I know a VP at one of the local resorts. Last season he was able to get in 15 or so days. One empirical caveat to keep in mind though, is that while many of these folks in the industry are able to squeeze in a couple or three runs almost every day, they don't consider that a ski day.

Back