Golfing in Salt Lake City

rfarren":1vi8y7t5 said:
But seriously, fishing? Don't tell me you like Nascar? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look carefully:
trolling.jpg

rfarren":1p3zl3wl said:
Don't tell me you like Nascar?
Choose your comparisons wisely and from a base of knowledge:
...in an excerpt from a study of race drivers conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine - “Racecar Drivers’ Physical Demands Comparable to Elite Athletes.”

“Professional drivers have enhanced their health and fitness in order to gain the competitive edge,” said lead author, Patrick Jacobs, Ph.D., FACSM. “We were able to match the science with the drivers on the tracks where they compete and confirm that they are well-conditioned athletes with cardiorespiratory fitness comparable to other elite athletes.”

The results of the road course testing indicated that these drivers reached levels of physical effort similar to those reached in many traditional team sports such as basketball or baseball. The average oxygen consumption recorded while driving near competitive pace on the road course was up to 13 times that of resting energy consumption levels. This work level is comparable to that reported in persons running an eight-10-minute mile or cycling at 20-22 mph. Likewise, on the speedway course, drivers’ heart rates were equivalent to 76 percent of the maximum heart rate, well within the target heart rate range of 70-85 percent for prescribed exercise intensity.

Looks like the blue torch paper has been well and truely lit at the Utah Bureau of Tourism :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hijack: sorry
Just watched a fishing show :) :roll: on the Strawberry Reservoir.. They were pulling Rainbows and Steelheads out of there like they were fishing in a barrel.

Admin":29jgahan said:
No, golf is a game you like to play. Hence the word "play." It's not a sport. One look around the 19th hole is all the proof you need that athletic prowess is not required.
Admin is right that golf is a "game" in which a player tries to get the lowest score possible. When playing the game in competition with others, it is elevated to sport. Just like skiing is an outdoor activity that is only elevated to sport in competition.

However, I have been drawn out to defend golf as requiring athletic prowess. As a recent beginner to this game, I have been amazed and humbled at how much coordination and athletic talent it takes for the average golfer to become much good playing. Sure, there are some fat old farts that through constant practice have over come their limited athletic abilities. But to use the PGA Tour as an example, for every John Daly on the tour, there are one hundred other trim and fit athletically built players. Just looking at the tour players, the folks playing at the very best level night and day above the rest, you see an amazing level of fitness and athleticism.

As rfarren suggested, a handicap or a score is comparable to a rating of black diamond at a ski mountain. They are only consistent within that one area or perhaps areas that can generally be agreed upon as comparable. You regularly see PGA Tour players struggle to make par and high scores on an average tour stop might be single digit negatives. Bring those same guys to my local course and they would be -20 easily.

Even for the average golfer, I have already seen how important having a flexible, in shape body can help the swing. It is indeed a game, but it is a game that favors a well coordinated and fit athlete. Which given the recent glut of golf fitness books and DVDs, it is something that the golf world is embracing as people realized they can't buy a better game with better equipment.

Carry on! :snowball fight:

As rfarren suggested, a handicap or a score is comparable to a rating of black diamond at a ski mountain. They are only consistent within that one area or perhaps areas that can generally be agreed upon as comparable.
Absolutely false. There's this thing called a "slope rating." While the system is hardly perfect, it was created to avoid the golf equivalent of "trail ratings are only specific to this ski area," so that the handicap of someone who plays every round at Winged Foot won't be negatively impacted compared to a player who generally sticks to municipal courses (I'm one of the latter).
http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_sloperat.htm

jamesdeluxe":33qcwgae said:
As rfarren suggested, a handicap or a score is comparable to a rating of black diamond at a ski mountain. They are only consistent within that one area or perhaps areas that can generally be agreed upon as comparable.
Absolutely false. There's this thing called a "slope rating." While the system is hardly perfect, it was created to avoid the golf equivalent of "trail ratings are only specific to this ski area," so that the handicap of someone who plays every round at Winged Foot won't be negatively impacted compared to a player who generally sticks to municipal courses (I'm one of the latter).
http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_sloperat.htm

Slope rating tells the difficulty of a course. At the course I grew up playing on, which had a rather high slope rating, I had a handicap of 14. On my card, however, I had a handicap index of 8.3. That means on a course with "average" difficulty my average score would be 8.3 over par. However, my handicap, was not 8.3 but rather 14. You're handicap is generally taken from the course you play most often, your index then gets applied to other courses when you're playing tournaments etc. Slope rating, however, fails at picking up on the extreme variability in course conditions. In other words, the rating doesn't change when the course plays harder.

Handicap, therefore, does in someways correlate to the rating of a black diamond at any specific mountain. Handicap index is the great equalizer between the two. I doubt when Admin mentioned his father's handicap he was talking about his index.

Patrick":18y90usy said:
Poker is also a sport. Why would it be on a Sportchannel if it isn't a sport? :twisted:

Because the sports channel can't get the rights to better sports: such as golf. I'm sure there are ratings involved as well.

rfarren":3ud5twcw said:
Because the sports channel can't get the rights to better sports: such as golf. I'm sure there are ratings involved as well.

I'm sure, because the only thing more painful than playing golf is watching others play it. It's death by boredom. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Admin":y5zy0lvu said:
rfarren":y5zy0lvu said:

I'm sure, because the only thing more painful than playing golf is watching others play it. It's death by boredom. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Ok, while I watch golf you can watch paint dry. Maybe someday we'll be able to do that. :lol:

rfarren":2ppf9l5w said:
Ok, while I watch golf you can watch paint dry. Maybe someday we'll be able to do that. :lol:

Sounds like something only appropriate for when we're both wearing Depends in the old folks' home.

Admin":2sz11epp said:
rfarren":2sz11epp said:

Sounds like something only appropriate for when we're both wearing Depends in the old folks' home.

That seriously made me laugh! :lol:

James, thanks for the correction on the slope rating, forgot that came into play! Still can't compare tour setup to regular setup though for those pros barely making par (or do they adjust slope for the "pros"?
jamesdeluxe":2cvhz944 said:
Tony Crocker":2cvhz944 said:
RivercOil":2cvhz944 said:
Look who came out of the woodwork!
He's still angry about the avatars being on the wrong side of the screen.
I wouldn't say angry. Just hard on the eyes. And it isn't just the avatars. I've said my piece on that one and don't care to rehash my thoughts.

No powder recently. Had a strained ligament on a fall on the first powder day of the best week of the season (worst day of the series, no less). Splinted up for another two weeks. Hasn't been much of a season for me at only 14 days during early March. Finally get some big dumps up north and I am out of commission.

:hijack:

Marc_C":1im5aoog said:
going back to work after 3 months of unemployment.

Marc - sincere congratulations. I'll take hope from any positive economic news. Way to go.

I think there should be a separate off topic forum just for golf posts. Then I can be sure I never go in there.

Maybe Admin could block my IP so there are no unfortunate accidents.

Harvey44":t1uk7tn1 said:
Marc_C":t1uk7tn1 said:
going back to work after 3 months of unemployment.

Marc - sincere congratulations. I'll take hope from any positive economic news. Way to go.
Thank you. It was a stressful 3 months, as you never know if it's only going to be X months, and negative cash flow/infinite burn rate has physical as well as psychological manifestations. Since it's still only a contract temp-to-perm position and I just started Monday, I'm very reluctant to say exactly where on a public forum. However, it's one of the coolest places I've ever worked - there's only one other that comes close - and it's a company many here would recognize. The gestalt is pretty amazing.

Marc_C":ofbr54sh said:
it's one of the coolest places I've ever worked - there's only one other that comes close - and it's a company many here would recognize. The gestalt is pretty amazing.
I've never heard of anyone so excited to sell timeshares at the top of the Canyons' Cabriolet lift, but it's a tough economy right now, so good on you, mate.

jamesdeluxe":3662gj5t said:
I've never heard of anyone so excited to sell timeshares at the top of the Canyons' Cabriolet lift, but it's a tough economy right now, so good on you, mate.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, think MLM and dietary supplements! :D

Back