Golfing in Salt Lake City

q

Looking for a little help from you guys in Salt Lake City.

As you know I am coming across for my annual trip and thought it might be good to take a day off skiing and have a round of golf and see something different.

Obviously I wont have my clubs but I might take my shoes just incase.

So, the question is, does anyone have a recommendation of any courses that will be open in late March. The only thing that I need is the ability to hire clubs at the course.

Any ideas?

Flog is a four-letter obscenity. Good graces require you to spell it in reverse. :lol:

q":gsln6fug said:
...thought it might be good to take a day off skiing and have a round of golf and see something different.
All the amazing things to see in this state and you're actually considering hitting a rock into holes with a stick? Shocking. Simply shocking.

Lighten up, guys. q is from Scotland after all.

Constructively, the locals' gut reaction is probably correct. If courses are open in late March they are not likely in great shape. So you should probably listen to local input on something more unique to the area to do with your spare day.

Like visit a Mormon temple. There's a new one in Draper that I'll be visiting on Friday, shortly before parts of it will no longer be accessible to us heathens.

I don't think it's a ridiculous question.

He wants one day away from a mountain, probably to do something outside that isn't physically exhausting. Most of the SLC people here would suggest that Q go genuflect in front of GMD or the like.

BobMc's always playing the public courses, maybe he can help out. From the online photos, they looked pretty decent.

jamesdeluxe":e44nv1l1 said:

No one said that it's a ridiculous question. It's the concept of hitting a rock with a stick, only for the privilege of chasing after it to hit it with a stick again that's ridiculous. :wink:

Admin":kao4agqi said:
jamesdeluxe":kao4agqi said:

No one said that it's a ridiculous question. It's the concept of hitting a rock with a stick, only for the privilege of chasing after it to hit it with a stick again that's ridiculous. :wink:

Whatever, I'm not ashamed to say that Golf is fun. I'm with Q, if you can have your cake and eat it too, why not? So, the question remains, are there any Utah locals who are on this forum who aren't afraid to wear a scarlet G?

rfarren":1kd4oadh said:
Admin":1kd4oadh said:
jamesdeluxe":1kd4oadh said:

Whatever, I'm not ashamed to say that Golf is fun. I'm with Q, if you can have your cake and eat it too, why not? So, the question remains, are there any Utah locals who are on this forum who aren't afraid to wear a scarlet G?

golf, much like skiing, is best done midweek, imho...nothing ruins the outdoor experience like crowds...there are few feelings like watching a perfect shot fly off the club(even if it only happens once per round for me :mrgreen: )

I asked the resident golf nut in my office. He said that the best two courses likely to be open during your visit, contingent of course upon the weather, are Bonneville (east of Foothill Blvd. just south of the Hogle Zoo, between I-80 and the University of Utah) and Thanksgiving Point (just south of the Salt Lake County/Utah County line, west of I-15). He said that both were open this past weekend, and that he played Thanksgiving Point. IMO Bonneville would be much more scenic.

Thanks for the info so far guys, if anyone else has some thoughts I'd be delighted.

I'd definately be playing midweek and only the once and this would be subject very much to the weather. Warm, summerlike for me temperatures and a break during 24-25 days stright skiing ain't going to break me :D

I'd only land up in the bar all day otherwise :lol: :lol: :lol:

q":1wsacnla said:
Warm, summerlike for me temperatures and a break during 24-25 days stright skiing ain't going to break me :D

I'd only land up in the bar all day otherwise :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not the break from skiing we find horrific, it's the choice of flog as a way to spend it. The bar is a far better alternative.

jamesdeluxe":10q5jpyv said:
Most of the SLC people here would suggest that Q go genuflect in front of GMD or the like.
Nah. There's plenty of stuff to see and do that isn't an affront to sanity like flog.
jamesdeluxe":10q5jpyv said:
BobMc's always playing the public courses,...
We all have our flaws. And who the hell is BobMc?

Marc_C":2ks130ox said:
And who the hell is BobMc?

I suppose that would be me. I'm one of Jame's oldtime weirdo internet friends. I've been a part of two broken bones with him, I'm quite proud of that fact. I'm a transplant to Utah, been here over 13 years, from Michigan originally.

As to the golf question, I suppose it would depend on where you are staying. If you're near the canyons, I know Old Mill is open and looked in decent shape. Old Mill can be a fun course, the last three holes are interesting.

I actually think the courses on the West side give better views of the valley and the Wasatch. I normally play Westridge and Stonebridge, both are open at this time and offer great views with a challenging layout.

It was tough driving to ski today, I drove by Murray Parkway and Old Mill, each had golfers out. I thought about turning around and grabbing my clubs, given the snow today I probably should have.

Thanks for the info BobMc, very much appreciated.

As a rule of thumb at these courses, will I be able to hire clubs and what would the dress code typically be? Dont want to start carrying anything more than a Polo shirt and dark jeans. Would I need trousers and the works? Also, will it be possible to just turn up and get a tee time midweek as obviously I wont really know far in advance what day I will play.

I'm staying downtown but will have a car so can go anywhere so that wont be a problem. I quite fancied the look of Wingpointe, any thoughts?

BobMc":8onebusk said:
Marc_C":8onebusk said:
And who the hell is BobMc?

I suppose that would be me. I'm one of Jame's oldtime weirdo internet friends. I've been a part of two broken bones with him, I'm quite proud of that fact. I'm a transplant to Utah, been here over 13 years, from Michigan originally.
Doh. Now I remember seeing posts from you. My post last night must have been the result of the shock of going back to work after 3 months of unemployment.

q":3itrsnmi said:
will I be able to hire clubs and what would the dress code typically be?
You'll be able to "hire" clubs, I'm sure, but only if you don't use that verb. In the States, one "rents" cars, golf clubs, skis, etc. "Hiring" is what one does when there's a job to be filled.
:idea:

Dress codes are enforced at private golf courses, but at public links, a golf shirt and casual trousers are fine. Jeans are frowned upon (for the same reasons as at a ski area -- you look like a dork), but they won't keep you from gaining admittance.

I'm sure that Bob would take you to one of his favorite courses, as long as you provide an abundance of beverages -- figure on one beer per hole.

Maybe you can be the one to teach him how to tee off with a driver instead of a 5-iron.
:roll:

jamesdeluxe":d5q9xjaq said:
Maybe you can be the one to teach him how to tee off with a driver instead of a 5-iron.
:roll:

Hah... remember James ... q is from scotland, and in scotland there is a lot of wind. I would guess that q is quite familiar with teeing of with an iron. Still in Utah, with the high air like that you've got to let it rip!

I still don't understand the vitriol against golf? What's wrong with hitting a ball in a hole? When you play basketball you throw a ball in a hole. In baseball you hit a ball and run. In football you throw/catch a ball and run. In skiing you... you control gravity, and that is fun. But golf is fun too, especially with good friends on pretty days. I would way rather play a round of golf than look at the mormon temple or sit at a bar.

rfarren":1i16gsbp said:
Still in Utah, with the high air like that you've got to let it rip!
That's what I tell Bob, but he always defers to his iron, after which I call him a big fairy. He plays golf as well as I ski, and he skis as well as I play golf... so it's the blind leading the blind.

rfarren":1i16gsbp said:
I still don't understand the vitriol against golf?
It's more transplant Utard logic. The LCC crew can't understand the fun of hitting a ball OB and throwing your clubs into a pond in a fit of rage. Their loss.

Back