Annoying Ski Partner Behavior

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Instead of turning this into a sexist don't-bring-your-wife-skiing thread, I'll open this up to any bitching you'd like to make about people you ski with.

Here's mine: my wife cannot take any kind of, euh, directional direction. She can't seem to follow me, even if I'm only 50 yards ahead of her. Even if there's no geographic possibility to make a wrong turn, she'll figure out a way. We stop in the middle of a run and I'll say, "take a left at the bottom and we'll meet at the Tomahawk lift." Almost half of the time, no joke, she'll turn right and I'll have to go on a search mission for her.

In North America, this is generally a minor annoyance and costs me 15 - 45 minutes depending on if the hill has decent cell coverage. Regardless, a while back, I put her on notice that if it happens more than once per day, she's on her own until we cross paths again. But try this in the Alps -- where a wrong turn won't just put you on a different lift or trail pod, but literally into a different county 5-10 miles away -- and your whole day is shot.
:x

You should get walkie talkies. Since I started using those I can ski with my father. He has a tendency to just go wherever he damn wants, even if the rest of us are skiing in a group.

CB and I have used the walkie talkies and done pretty well with them. Usually though, if I am skiing with her, I follow her as she skis more conservatively. When we split, we pick a time to meet and she pretty much knows that if the meeting time is between runs, I'll grab the extra run and she patiently waits. :D

I ski solo so much that I can't think of annoying behavior. I'm probably the annoying one...starting conversations on the ride up with people I don't know. Sometimes I tag along, when not exactly invited.

Gotta say James...you're a big reason I check the General Discussion...always posting something pointy and fun over here.

Our boy James speaks the truth. There were at least 3 times yesterday, I found Juliet waiting at the lift not knowing which way James went...James the answer is one of those harness gizmo's they put on the little ones :lol:

Some people are just what I call "directionally challenged." Not a sexist thing: my ex-wife was excellent with directions. My high school girlfriend, who had the highest GPA in a competitive private school 3 of the 5 years we were both there, turned the wrong way on her own street (this was Pasadena with 5,000 foot mountains 3 miles away to provide orientation) and rode her bike 3 miles before it dead-ended.

Harvey44":3tt0cdnv said:
I ski solo so much that I can't think of annoying behavior. I'm probably the annoying one...starting conversations on the ride up with people I don't know.

I know that one! I love talking to people on the lift. I'm a bit of a yapper. :D

I'll move beyond SOs (mine's annoying ski habit disappeared this winter), and on to Skidog. The boy can't lose his Jersey habits. Last winter, Bobby Danger turned around to him and squawked, "2500 acres in this place, and you've got to be right on my [censored] ass!" :lol:

a bitchin post ! i can't believe i missed this one! please only nine posts this could be volumes thick. i haven't anything to bitch about only minor adjustments. a site full of brain surgeons and only nine posts right ! :sabre fight:

Ha yeah nice thread, I'm surprised there's not more posts in here.

some things ski partner behaviors that annoy me..

- partners who without notice disappear into the trees while on a open slope only to reappear an hour later and ask what happened to you
- partners who keep their ski passes tucked under a hundred layers and neglect to fish it out until its their turn to be scanned while waiting to board the lift
- partners who are embarrassed when I start conversations with random people on lifts

Back