The NYC/Baseball Hijack

mbaydala

Before I sound like a complete NY hater I should say I have floor seats for the springsteen show tomorrow and seats right behind the mets dougout with the phils on wed and thur at the new citi field. Life isn't all that bad. Enjoy the spring snow, keep posting and make me feel like I'm missing some awesome turns

mbaydala":2qbr4dbv said:
Before I sound like a complete NY hater I should say I have floor seats for the springsteen show tomorrow and seats right behind the mets dougout with the phils on wed and thur at the new citi field. Life isn't all that bad. Enjoy the spring snow, keep posting and make me feel like I'm missing some awesome turns

I'm a bit of a mets hater, but aside from that, it is totally worth hitting Yankee stadium too. Although, there has been a lot of hoopla about the prices being over-inflated you can get great seats for cheap. The season ticket holders are the ones that are getting screwed. The market worked out so that those $350 seats are being sold for $100. Many of the season ticket holders are lucky if they get back 15 cents to the dollar for their tickets.

mbaydala":2vjylis0 said:
I'm in NY on my annual vacation seeing the family. I've been here for about 5 hours and now more than ever after reading your post makes me want to go home. After skiing saturday I had a feeling sunday would be fun. I've been checking the radar and looks like you had some more snow this afternoon and more on the way tonight?

You should visit in the summer instead. Without skiing conflicts, you may find it easier to be away from Utah.

rfarren":fe0ufl4s said:
You should visit in the summer instead. Without skiing conflicts, you may find it easier to be away from Utah.

You've never been here in summer. Shoulder season's the best time to visit family back there.

Admin":3nr1mi5o said:
rfarren":3nr1mi5o said:

You've never been here in summer. Shoulder season's the best time to visit family back there.

Yeah yeah I know... you love Utah in the summer more than in the winter. Frankly, New York is at its best during the autumn. Perhaps, that is the best time to leave Utah.

I actually spend my summers in Park City, or at least last year I did. Now that I manage the restaurant I obviously have to stay out here, and its probably the decision I've ever made. After spending the first 27 years of my life living by the beach, the mountains are the way to go for me now. No crowds in Park City, no humidity and no rain. I love it.

Still I feel like I'm missing something being home this week. I skied Saturday, missing Sunday just hurts. I LOVE spring skiing in the cottonwoods esp when there is new snow.

Oh and I hate the Yankees! Hate them. So much so that in my 26 years or so that I've lived in NY I've never once been up to the Bronx to watch the Yankees. Its just one of those things...

Oh and I hate the Yankees! Hate them. So much so that in my 26 years or so that I've lived in NY I've never once been up to the Bronx to watch the Yankees. Its just one of those things..

Be nice now

mbaydala":20e9jtaj said:
Oh and I hate the Yankees! Hate them. So much so that in my 26 years or so that I've lived in NY I've never once been up to the Bronx to watch the Yankees. Its just one of those things...

I can understand that. I feel the same way about a certain team that wears red over their feet. You don't need to explain yourself when it comes to baseball, it's a fairly irrational.

Oh and I hate the Yankees! ......... I feel the same way about a certain team....
Or in my case the OTHER team that moved west from NYC in 1958. I'm especially delighted that they have won zero World Series since the move. :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Tony Crocker":rqn4z4q8 said:
Oh and I hate the Yankees! ......... I feel the same way about a certain team....
Or in my case the OTHER team that moved west from NYC in 1958. I'm especially delighted that they have won zero World Series since the move. :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
Sorry... :hijack:

Are you talking about the team that beat the Montreal Expos in the NL series. The team that had the farm team in Montreal and where Jackie Robinson played in the 40s?

Tony Crocker":3c2dj223 said:

They should've renamed them the Seals when they went out there. I must say that one of the great charms about the east coast is baseball. IMO the corridor from NYC to Maine is the only place in the country where Baseball is the main sport. Come summer my favorite thing to do is to enjoy a game, whether it's little league, A-ball, or at the "stadium." As whitman said "the game of ball is beautiful."

I guess this just another reason why one would prefer to live in the east coast. Not that there isn't baseball in California or Colorado, but I don't think it has the same cultural importance there as it does here.

rfarren":10vmjqif said:
I guess this just another reason why one would prefer to live in the east coast. Not that there isn't baseball in California or Colorado, but I don't think it has the same cultural importance there as it does here.
Actually, it's perfect justification for fleeing the east coast. BaselessBalls ranks right up there with golf and bowling as one of the world's most boring sports. :stir:

If it ever stops raining here I will start my regular trips to the Gunks..to rock climb..
ever watch a Rock Climbing video.. It makes Baseball look like the Indy 500

Marc_C":tmljlw1k said:
rfarren":tmljlw1k said:
Actually, it's perfect justification for fleeing the east coast. BaselessBalls ranks right up there with golf and bowling as one of the world's most boring sports. :stir:

Great. Then don't go to a game. You don't have to love it. You just need to accept that it is loved in these parts.

I mean, if you want to live in a place, where the closest thing to cultural heritage is the mormon church, for great skiing thats fine by me. If skiing was the #1 priority for me I would be out there too.

jasoncapecod":te5ajkv1 said:
i have tks for tonights Yankees vs Sox
and it is f'n raining ](*,) :evil:

I think it could very well be rained out. However, with the new stadium a rainout isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

and it is f'n raining
More of the joys of East Coast weather. :stir: And even if it's not raining I'll bet it's quite steamy sitting in one of those ballparks in the summer.

17 rainouts at Dodger Stadium since it opened in 1962.

IMO the corridor from NYC to Maine is the only place in the country where Baseball is the main sport.
Probably true here through late 70's/early 80's. But the more consistent success of the Lakers since then have made them the favored local team of the past ~25 years or so for most fans. Dodger games through the 1970's had a similar high celebrity attendance that the Lakers have now.

Tony Crocker":qm1vldqm said:
and it is f'n raining
More of the joys of East Coast weather. :stir: And even if it's not raining I'll bet it's quite steamy sitting in one of those ballparks in the summer.

17 rainouts at Dodger Stadium since it opened in 1962.

Rainouts can be very important for a team. They allow a team to recoup from injuries and can be a very important rest that can then lead to a hot streak.

Tony are you talking about East Coast weather or are you talking about every other place in the country that isn't L.A or in a desert?

Rainouts can be very important for a team.
And what happens to your pitching staff during a streak of make-up doubleheaders?

I'm talking about anyplace that has obnoxious summer humidity. That's pretty much anyplace east of the Rockies and lower than what, 2,000 - 3,000 feet? You New Englanders can tell me if the mountains there are high enough to be pleasant in summer. West of the Rockies summers are nice everywhere except the low altitude Sonoran desert climates.

Back