Skier visits down 5.5% overall

I made this call last Oct. 2. :bow:

If you look at that Kottke data, you'll see that national skier visits rarely deviate by as much as 10% from the trend of recent years. The exceptions are in unusually bad snow years (PNW in 2004-05 being the most recent example). As in my data, in most years good regions offset bad ones and the national total is smoother. You have to go back to 1980-81 to see a year where bad conditions were so widespread as to put a big dent in the total numbers. I can't see any economic effect in that past data. Not saying it won't be different this time. I will say that the recession will have to be very severe in order to move the skier visit numbers noticeably. I'd say the "normal" number is around 57M. That number might be spun as economic because last year was 60M, but the record high 60M was due to snow. I'd say less than 55M would be a clear sign of economy if snow is average or better.

The overall season was modestly above average snow-wise. Maybe a little better than that because the one region way below average was western Canada, which Kottke/NSAA don't count. We have already heard much anecdotal evidence about how skiers are continuing to ski but arranging to do it more cheaply. One sign of economics in the Kottke data would be if destination resorts are down more with the slack being made up by those within drive distance. One of the destination resort operators I called for snow stats this month is making that claim. This would be particularly true as an economic indicator in Utah and Colorado, which were the strongest regions snow-wise this season.

Tony Crocker":5m00qfqp said:
This would be particularly true as an economic indicator in Utah and Colorado, which were the strongest regions snow-wise this season.

According to the NSAA data released today snowfall the Rocky Mountain region as a whole (not just CO and UT) was down 14.2 percent this year.

CO+UT must be ~80% of Rocky Mountain region totals. I suspect the Northeast numbers (drive-up) will be strong.

Admin":1lyydwjh said:
Tony Crocker":1lyydwjh said:
This would be particularly true as an economic indicator in Utah and Colorado, which were the strongest regions snow-wise this season.

According to the NSAA data released today snowfall the Rocky Mountain region as a whole (not just CO and UT) was down 14.2 percent this year.

Wait, are you saying that snowfall numbers were down 14% or skier visits?

See the original link, for it's all in there. In the Rocky Mountain Region as a whole, visits were up 1.3% and snowfall down 14.2%, both from 10-year averages.

Admin":u6xvca8k said:
See the original link, for it's all in there. In the Rocky Mountain Region as a whole, visits were up 1.3% and snowfall down 14.2%, both from 10-year averages.

I know a chunk of february and march were dry but I would think that april made up for it in terms of snowfall. Where, in particular, was the snowfall lower than average?

rfarren":37rj3341 said:
Where, in particular, was the snowfall lower than average?

According to the NSAA, "in the Rocky Mountain Region as a whole."

Admin":97i38vlp said:
rfarren":97i38vlp said:
Where, in particular, was the snowfall lower than average?

According to the NSAA, "in the Rocky Mountain Region as a whole."

Tony, now is when I need you. Where are your stats... I mean how can the "Rocky Mountain Region" be below average? I thought Colorado and Utah were average or even a bit over average in terms of snowfall. Is there any other place out there? :wink:

Admin":9l6ir0dc said:
The Northern Rockies had a very slow start to the season.

That's fine as long as those numbers don't include sun valley. That place never gets any snow.

Rocky Mountain snowfall was down 14.2% vs. last year, which was huge. It was still above average.

By region:
PNW: 125% last year, probably averages 100% this year, but that ranges from 120% in Oregon to average Washington to 85% Whistler. Slower start in latter 2 sectors likely cut skier visits significantly.
California: 92% last year, 100% Tahoe and 135% Mammoth this year. But Christmas at Tahoe was worse this year, likely cutting visits.
Interior Western Canada: 110% last year, 85-90% this year, I'm sure visits are down.
US Northern Rockies: 134% last year, 110-120% this year. Visits likely down also due to areas being remote destinations. With regard to a slow start, these areas were in the 80% range on Dec. 22 but up to 115% by Dec. 31.
Utah: 120% last year, 130-140% this year. But the excess was all in March/April, so I wouldn't expect much difference in skier visits.
South & West Colorado: 141% last year, 115-125% this year. Visits likely down also due to areas being remote destinations. Much better start than Northern Rockies, 130-150% on Dec. 22.
North & Central Colorado: 111% last year, 110-120% this year. This is the biggest volume region of typically 8+ million visits. Seasons were similar and I suspect skier visits also.
Northeast: 114% last year, in 110% range this year. Since the front end was good this year and business is drive-up, I suspect numbers aren't down much.

For an entire region to average 120+% of normal snow, that signifies an excellent year, top 15% in a more consistent region, top 25% in the most volatile regions (California and South & West Colorado). 2007-08 was as good as any season of the past 34 years in the US Northern Rockies and South & West Colorado. This year was among the top 3 of that time frame for Utah.

Regional breakdown of the 5.5% decline in skier visits:

Southeast up 2%
Northeast down 2%
Pac West, Rockies and Midwest down 7-8%

I ascribe the overall 5.5% decline to snow. Another shift of 2-3% from the destination resorts to closer places, presumably due to the economy. Very modest economic impact on skier visits, as I predicted last fall. Decline in spending is another story. There was a recent press release from SIA saying that equipment/clothing sales fell 12% this season, with most of that starting February or so.

Even before the winter got going it was pretty obvious the destinations resorts in the Rockies were in for a tough year due to the economy.Bookings were way down. I think this cartoon in the Jackson Hole paper last December says it all. I think the snow conditions had something to do with the decline, hardly any new snow in the latter half of March and much of April for the northeast but the poor economy was the bigger reason.
JH_cartoon.jpg

People in the east didn't want to spend the money or the hassle to fly out west so they instead chose to stay closer to home and drive to their fav destination resort in northern NE and the small ski hills near the urban centers, especially those with night skiing were even bigger benefactors.

They helped to offset the losses from day/multi-day ticket sales at VR, which absolutely tanked last winter.

I think these paragraphs answer many of james' questions and put a lot of specifics into which aspects of the ski industry are affected by the economy.

Katz confirmed that total skier visits at the company's five ski resorts -- Vail Mountain, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone in Colorado, and Heavenly Resort in California/Nevada -- declined 5.3% for the 2008-09 ski season and total lift ticket revenue declined 8.4%. Katz estimates that out-of-state and international destination visitation fell 15% for the 2008-09 ski season, as the mix of destination to in-state guest visits for the 2008-09 ski season was approximately 57% to 43%, respectively, compared to approximately 63% to 37%, respectively, in the prior ski season. A 12.2% increase in season pass sales drove a 17.0% increase in passholder visits. Remove season pass visitation, however, and skier visits at the company's five ski resorts fell 21.1%, resulting in a 18.8% decrease in lift ticket revenue once season passholders are removed from the mix.

Looking at Colorado alone, skier visits declined 3.5%, which compared favorably with a 6.9% drop in Colorado as a whole. An 8.3% increase in effective pass price helped to drive a 21.7% increase in season pass revenue, which in fiscal 2009 represented 34% of total lift ticket revenue, up from 26% in 2008-09.

Ski school revenue decreased $16.0 million, or 19.7%, in fiscal 2009 compared to fiscal 2008, as ski school revenue is primarily driven by destination guests. Dining revenue decreased $10.2 million, or 16.4%, due to an approximate 11% decrease in the number of total on-mountain food and beverage transactions, coupled with an even greater decline in fine dining. Revenue from retail/rental operations decreased $21.4 million, or 12.7%. For fiscal 2009, other revenue increased $2.1 million, or 2.9%, favorably impacted by private club operations (which revenue increased $4.1 million) resulting from the opening of the Vail Mountain Club in November 2008, which partially offset other revenue declines.

I cross checked some of the ticket revenue numbers above and they are all internally consistent.

I'm sure it fluctuates from ski area to ski area , but I was always curious what percentage of overall resort revenues are actually comprised of lift tickets... and is it more effective to low-ball daily tickets and/or season passes so that people (theoretically) spend more on F&B and lessons?

jamesdeluxe":12wry8bf said:
I'm sure it fluctuates from ski area to ski area , but I was always curious what percentage of overall resort revenues are actually comprised of lift tickets... and is it more effective to low-ball daily tickets and/or season passes so that people (theoretically) spend more on F&B and lessons?

I suspect that resorts that drop ticket prices simply end up with more people who value shop. Those people brown bag their food. Those people aren't likely to take lessons.

The Colorado season pass prices are structured so people doing a week trip will spend pretty much the same whether they buy day tickets or buy the season pass product.

Geoff":qbc9csdd said:
The Colorado season pass prices are structured so people doing a week trip will spend pretty much the same whether they buy day tickets or buy the season pass product.

...but who are more likely to return to the same resorts if they take a second trip, thereby increasing ancillary product sales.

Back