Where To Ski with Comped Lodging?

Admin":3o6hviwq said:
Harvey44":3o6hviwq said:
Economy is looking up...I am more hopeful that we can afford our groceries...and maybe some travel too.

Thank you, Comrade Obama. :bow:

:wink:

Since His Editorship injected politics into the thread.... My concern with a Europe trip for next winter would be the likelyhood of an extremely weak US dollar. They US is going to be borrowing a crap load of money soon to cover all the stimulus. There is some level of risk that we are facing a sharp drop in the US dollar against the Euro. It could end up being a more costly trip than it appears today.

Politics...well I guess this is the general discussion which is as close as we come to an OT (off topic) forum...

All the spending scares the crap out of me. Maybe it's because I'm still working...but I think it's way too much. I'd have less of a problem with it if it was more for infrastructure. Building wind turbines or solar panels will save us money in the future on energy and wars. Cash for clunkers was way too wimpy. $3000 for trading an 18 mpg car for a 22 mpg car is ridiculous.

That said...I was rather spend a trillion on all the BS we are currently spending it on than killing people and destroying infrastructure in other countries. That trillion way underestimates the cost too. The armed forces need major cash to get back to where they were...we'll be paying for that for years.

I'm sure we'll spend tons of money rebuilding the countries we are blowing up.

And even more money will be spent helping soldiers and their families deal with PTSD and other mental wounds. Those costs go on for generations. It blows my mind that people are SURPRISED that humans suffer mental wounds when they kill for a living.

I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but would it be unreasonable for you to spend the first five days with wifey and the last two or three skiing by yourself, while she hangs with the relatives? You really should take advantage of the Alps, even if it's only for a few days. Who knows if/when you'll ever be back?
James is absolutely right about this. Once you've made the commitment and fixed cost to travel a long distance, you should take advantage of as many interesting opportunities as you can. As Patrick pointed out, the logistics of add-on skiing are quite easy from Paris. Since Paris is the wife's first choice, you should be looking into Patrick's suggestions. Maybe the wife does not want to go to Paris during the optimal March time frame for skiing? If you have to push the trip past Easter for better Paris weather, there are still high altitude French ski destinations like Tignes or Val Thorens that will make an extension worthwhile. Also, if the trip is after Easter do the skiing first to increase your weather odds a bit on both parts of the trip.

You could catch a quick train ride to cervinia. You could spend one day at zermatt too. Mmmmm... pasta, cafe', sciare (skiing), sounds like the la bella vita.

Back