Where To Ski with Comped Lodging?

Harvey

Administrator
Staff member
There's a decent possibility that I can take a week with accommodations comped at some good ski locations:

Beaver Creek
Breckenridge
Copper Mountain
Deer Valley
Jackson Hole
Steamboat
Stowe
Sun Valley
Tahoe
Telluride

Basically I could go to any destination listed here:

http://www.ultimateescapes.com/map.asp

But hey I want to ski. I can go during ski season, except holidays. I'd have to book 90 days in advance so ski conditions couldn't be predicted or considered.

For me... the overriding factor would be having the best chance for great conditions and new snow. However the timing of this trip coincides roughly with my wife's 40th birthday. In order to convince her not to choose one of the other available destinations (Paris), she'd have to believe that there would be entertainment for a wife on a big birthday and a four year old.

What do you think? What's the best choice in your opinion?

EDIT: I left out Deer Valley and Jackson Hole.

Harvey44":z3pqa93i said:
For me... the overriding factor would be having the best chance for great conditions and new snow. However the timing of this trip coincides roughly with my wife's 40th birthday. In order to convince her not to choose one of the other available destinations (Paris), she'd have to believe that there would be entertainment for a wife on a big birthday and a four year old.

What do you think? What's the best choice in your opinion?

Of the choices I see there, I'd personally opt for Jackson.

Admin":1wnldsm5 said:
I agree, although I've never been to Sun Valley. I'm aware of the ADK-esque conditions there, but since it's a birthday for the wife, that should be figured in.

The thing that stands out about my Sun Valley trip . It rained , not what i wanted on my trip out west. Great high speed cruising mountain and if you do get some snow , some nice bowls too...

I have agree with the others about Jackson Hole... Cool town and great mountain..

jamesdeluxe":3mjxpmdn said:
Admin":3mjxpmdn said:
I agree, although I've never been to Sun Valley. I'm aware of the ADK-esque conditions there, but since it's a birthday for the wife, that should be figured in.

I've been to sun valley twice. Although, it has nice lifts and the terrain is half decent, the conditions can be downright annoying. It can be very scratchy. Considering they get less snow than most north east resorts, you can pretty much say you won't get a powder day. Jackson can be risky after mid-february as well due to its southern exposure.

I have no more feedback to offer other than my Grand Targhee/Snow King article which apparently fell into the bottomless pit on Admin's computer.

Also, Jackson is a good place to blow FF miles. You'll rarely find a flight there for under $400.

That said, I'd like to commend Harvey for the very unique thread title.

This from someone who lives 5 hours away for 4 years and has never been there?

This is a classic example of responders projecting their own preferences on someone else's question. Harvey44 skis all the time at Gore, on teles, and finds it challenging. How much of JH will he enjoy skiing? How much of JH will his wife enjoy skiing? One diversion that Harvey44 and family would likely enjoy a lot is the snowcat daytrip into Yellowstone.

However the timing of this trip coincides roughly with my wife's 40th birthday.
First obvious question: When is the birthday, and must the trip coincide with it? If it's in January Jackson and Steamboat would be top picks for "great conditions and new snow." If it's in March I wouldn't go near either of those due to the south exposure. Telluride would be a good March choice.

If I were trying to talk the wife out of a Paris alternative, I'd look long and hard at Beaver Creek. Deer Valley luxury on a much better mountain. If you're getting a freebie, pick something that would otherwise be very expensive. Jackson is expensive for airfare, but can be quite reasonable for lodging because it gets much more summer than winter tourism. Beaver Creek has 331 inches average snowfall and enough north exposure that the timing of the trip won't be that critical. Long fall lines on Grouse and Birds of Prey will be more than enough challenge on teles I suspect.

Comments on the other places:
I agree with the Sun Valley comments; right ambience but more likely to get "eastern conditions" than the other places.
Breck and Copper are busy places that I just can't see choosing for a comped trip.
Deer Valley: See Beaver Creek comments.
Steamboat: If powder/snow conditions are the driving factor AND the trip is no later than mid-February, a good choice.
Telluride: Flip side of the above, best late February and March. Not as much powder as Steamboat in January, but more upscale and scenic ambience (I'm sure ChrisC will put in a big plug if he sees this thread).
Tahoe: Potentially great skiing, but not a great fit IMHO for a trip like this. Like Jackson it can be done cheap, and the best way to experience Tahoe is to run around trying different areas with a car, sort of like SLC.
Bend/Bachelor is on the list also. I think Harvey44 would like the skiing there a lot, but for this trip I'd have the same comments as Tahoe: you're driving every day and it can be done cheap.

Tony Crocker":2d83eo9o said:
This from someone who lives 5 hours away for 4 years and has never been there?

Have you been drinking at work again? :lol: Yes, I've been there...just not since I moved here. Hell, I took these myself:

jackson01.jpg

jackson02.jpg

jackson03.jpg

jackson04.jpg

jackson05.jpg

And yeah, it's a steep mountain, but it's also a big mountain with something for everyone. That gondi serves an enormous amount of terrain that they could both enjoy. It would swallow many Gores.

Tony Crocker":2d83eo9o said:
This is a classic example of responders projecting their own preferences on someone else's question.

:bs: It's simple: I think of where my wife would want to go. Given Harvey44's wife's wishes as expressed in the OP, Jackson seemed like the best of the western offerings that he had to choose from - an authentic western town combined with a good ski experience (if prior to the end of Feb., as mentioned above). I agree that Steamboat would be a good choice too with the same timeframe caveat, but for a town experience I personally think Jackson would be a better choice. He could also knock off Snow King and Targhee while there.

And while I deliberately didn't mention the Deer Valley option, if Harvey44 were to choose that he'd have 9 Utah resorts within a 45-minute drive (OK, maybe an hour to Pow Mow). Steamboat has nearby, uh...nothing.

My bad for not checking admin's ski area list about Jackson. But the point remains that he has not been motivated to ski there even though he now lives within drive distance.

Given Harvey44's wife's wishes as expressed in the OP
And what were those, other than the Paris comment? Which led me in the "upscale direction." His comp is for lodging. Use that for someplace you would normally be unwilling to spend your own $.

And no, I don't think Deer Valley is a great idea if you're going to be hopping in the car most days to ski somewhere else. If you're in a luxurious place, you want to spend some time there to enjoy it. And part of that is ski-in ski-out.

I think of where my wife would want to go.
I know the answer to that question: Nevis or Hawaii, not a ski resort :stir:

FYI I don't view Jackson as a bad choice here. I'd probably rank it 4th, behind Beaver Creek, Steamboat and Telluride.

Clarified topic heading per jamesdeluxe

Tony Crocker":vd46kqsp said:
My bad for not checking admin's ski area list about Jackson. But the point remains that he has not been motivated to ski there even though he now lives within drive distance.

And why exactly would I? It's no AltaBird, and it's not 20 minutes away.

Given Harvey44's wife's wishes as expressed in the OP
And what were those, other than the Paris comment?

Do I have to do everything for you?:

Harvey44":vd46kqsp said:
In order to convince her not to choose one of the other available destinations (Paris), she'd have to believe that there would be entertainment for a wife on a big birthday and a four year old.

Hence, she needs a destination, not a ski area. Jackson fits that bill. So does Park City, and IMO, Steamboat but only to a far lesser degree.

I know the answer to that question: Nevis or Hawaii, not a ski resort :stir:

Touché!

And why exactly would I? It's no AltaBird,
Terrain-wise it is, and if you're within drive distance you can dodge the less reliable snow conditions.

and it's not 20 minutes away.
That part I understand, but zero visits in 4+ years (2 of which were huge up there) somewhat less. Admin has not quite as much of the "wanderlust gene" as Patrick or I do.

Tony Crocker":222sn6n9 said:
And why exactly would I? It's no AltaBird,
Terrain-wise it is, and if you're within drive distance you can dodge the less reliable snow conditions.

And snow-wise it isn't. So, I can get equivalent terrain and inferior snow by driving 5 hours instead of 20 minutes...gee, you make it sound so attractive, too... :-k

:roll:

If your wife wants to go to Paris, why not compromise?.... What about Chamonix, St. Moritz, or another nice european destination where one can fulfill the cultural aspects as well as the skiing?

Tony Crocker":3g1vuunj said:
This is a classic example of responders projecting their own preferences on someone else's question. Harvey44 skis all the time at Gore, on teles, and finds it challenging. How much of JH will he enjoy skiing? How much of JH will his wife enjoy skiing? One diversion that Harvey44 and family would likely enjoy a lot is the snowcat daytrip into Yellowstone.

Not sure what Harvey wants really. Jackson is the greatest area mentioned, my favorite for sure. however the place can be reduced fast if the conditions aren't right, especially if the challenging stuff is a challenging conditions. I don't mind, but other might.

Sun Valley sounds like another great choice. Comp lodging, classic resort, terrain different in nature than JH (although I've never been, but it's on the list). I'm pretty sure that Harvey would have a blast here...well, Harvey would have a blast anywhere. :lol:

Patrick's view of Jackson snow conditions is at least as unrepresentative on the positive side as some of the rest of us have seen on the negative side.

And snow-wise it isn't. So, I can get equivalent terrain and inferior snow by driving 5 hours instead of 20 minutes
My point is that with 452 inches in 2006 and 480 in 2008, I think someone within drive distance could have checked out short term weather forecasts and nailed some respectable powder at Jackson without much difficulty.

If your wife wants to go to Paris, why not compromise?.... What about Chamonix, St. Moritz, or another nice european destination where one can fulfill the cultural aspects as well as the skiing?
I thought of that too, but the link Harvey44 posted did not have options in Euro ski resorts, only in London, Paris and Tuscany.

Sun Valley sounds like another great choice.
Not really given Harvey44's stated request for "best chance for great conditions and new snow." Patrick can and will ski anything. Those of us who have seen him ski understand why he might be less sensitive to snow conditions than the vast majority of skiers.

Trying to convince Admin to leave SLC for any ski-related reason is pure ](*,). Our fearless leader has gone from tireless road warrior to contented LCC homebody with his pipe (ok, cigarettes) and slippers. I think it'll take some ridiculous proposition (AK heli with nightly strippers?) to get him to budge during the winter.

If you're getting a freebie, pick something that would otherwise be very expensive. Jackson is expensive for airfare, but can be quite reasonable for lodging because it gets much more summer than winter tourism.
True, Jackson has a decent amount of cheapskate lodging, but on the high end, you can spend a small fortune... so I wouldn't necessarily point him toward Beaver Creek ahead of JH based on the otherwise logical "pick somewhere expensive" criteria.

Unfortunately, we're missing important info that might disqualify certain places -- when are the target dates and are the comp accommodations ski-in/-out?

jamesdeluxe":3t89xqms said:
Trying to convince Admin to leave SLC for any ski-related reason is pure ](*,). Our fearless leader has gone from tireless road warrior to contented LCC homebody with his pipe (ok, cigarettes) and slippers. I think it'll take some ridiculous proposition (AK heli with nightly strippers?) to get him to budge during the winter.

OK, OK...where do I sign up for that one?

Admin":brpnyq54 said:
jamesdeluxe":brpnyq54 said:

OK, OK...where do I sign up for that one?

I heard Argentina isn't bad. 8-[

Admin":vpbhzgh8 said:
Harvey44":vpbhzgh8 said:
In order to convince her not to choose one of the other available destinations (Paris), she'd have to believe that there would be entertainment for a wife on a big birthday and a four year old.

Hence, she needs a destination, not a ski area. Jackson fits that bill. So does Park City, and IMO, Steamboat but only to a far lesser degree.
I'd add Telluride to that list, even more so than Steamboat.

jamesdeluxe":2j2e60qc said:
Trying to convince Admin to leave SLC for any ski-related reason is pure ](*,). Our fearless leader has gone from tireless road warrior to contented LCC homebody with his pipe (ok, cigarettes) and slippers.
There are a lot of skiers here with this attitude, many having lived elsewhere where moderate to long to abysmal drives were necessary to get to often-times mediocre skiing. Admin even lived in the ski capital of Florida for 9 yrs or so. You guys are used to 5 - 7 hr drives, so you don't understand why we don't go to JH (and spend $$$ on lodging, food, gas, etc). We have good to excellent conditions the vast majority of the time, on fantastic terrain, and getting a lot of powder days in a season is trivial for a local. It's all in our backyard - literally, and we return home each day.

Driving 5+ hrs to ski - been there, done that....a lot; don't need to now. It really shouldn't be hard to understand.

Back