Passport Requirement Reminder

Marc_C

Just an early reminder for folks starting to contemplate travel next ski season.
As of 1 June 2009, a passport (or passport equivalent, like the Nexus card, but not a regular driver's license* or birth cert.) is now required to enter Canada and to return to the US, by any means - air, sea, or land crossings.

So if you don't have one and need one, maybe now is a good time to do so instead of in a panic 2 weeks before your trip.

[*: there's something called an Enhanced Driver's License that can take the place of a passport for travel to/from Canada. It's issued only by the states of: Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington.

See:http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html]

rfarren":2gjt0tpi said:
Was that set in place by the Canadian Government or the American?
Both, as part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. You need a passport in both directions.

Marc_C":16n93l62 said:
rfarren":16n93l62 said:
Both, as part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. You need a passport in both directions.

WRONG!!!

US Government. The reason why Canada followed along is that US citizens wouldn't be caught not being able to re-enter the United States without a passport. Canadian authorities have been debating the US Administration (this idea started somewhere after 9-11) about the fact that initiatives had a huge pricetag for the common economies across the Canada-US border.

Old FTO debate here...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=938

Patrick":325nixe2 said:
Marc_C":325nixe2 said:
rfarren":325nixe2 said:

WRONG!!!

US Government. The reason why Canada followed along is that US citizens wouldn't be caught not being able to re-enter the United States without a passport. Canadian authorities have been debating the US Administration (this idea started somewhere after 9-11) about the fact that initiatives had a huge pricetag for the common economies across the Canada-US border.

Old FTO debate here...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=938
Yeah. I didn't want to get into that whole issue, so officially, as far as things stand right now and into the future, you need a passport in both directions. From our skiing perspective, that's all that really matters. And we know there are folks who still believe that a DL and birth cert are all that's needed.

The discussion of the fact that Canada responded in kind to a moronic decision by a US gov agency (DHS) that is run by imbeciles at best, created by the worst US administration in history, with a president that had his head up his ass the entire time, is best left to the political discussion groups.

I'm trying to decide if I should get myself an enhanced drivers license. I have a passport but some redundancy is a good thing. In Vermont, it requires a drive to Montpelier to obtain it. Maybe next year...

Try a NEXUS card, we have had them for a couple of years ($50.00 adults $0.00 kids ) . As Canadians livings close to the border great for making day trips as you can use the reserved lane for NEXUS members as a pre approved applicant . Process is more in depth than the passport as the US Government and Canadian Government do a back ground check and then you go for a interview and fingerprints. Can use the cards for all types of travel between Canada and USA . Have always had passports but find the advantages of NEXUS are worth it.

Back