Where to ski in summer!

Last day for me in Michigan is the 1st or 2nd week of may on leftover snow patches. Other than that we got sandboarding

rfarren":bd2o54kb said:
icelanticskier":bd2o54kb said:
HollyCarter":bd2o54kb said:
That's a great ?, how about in Michigan?

michigan? i thought that surfing ruled in michigan!

rog

No, driving your car rules in michigan! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes the automobile does rule here in Michigan, so please go out and buy a FORD, or if you are a classic car buff, the Dream Cruse in August is 2nd to none

As for snow skiing patches till May in Michigan, you are truly hard core my friend HollyCarter!

We love surfing in Michigan, the great lakes can really be fun an produce some darn good surf.
Surf along the shores of lake Michigan
p.jpg

Red Flag = Happy bodyboarder
lakemi_8_10_08_185.jpg

Lake Michigan
lakemi_8_10_08_099.jpg

http://www.vimeo.com/6402757 <~nice video of some good surf in Lake Huron

I use to jet ski the Great Lake a lot, I have Jet Skied all of them :mrgreen:
0007.jpg

We do have some decent sand dunes for sand boarding, I done it once or twice at the silver lake dunes area, it was okay.
0020.jpg

Good view of the, um dunes
0021.jpg

Sleeping Bear dunes are amazing. The whole region around traverse city is really wonderful. I'm more of an ocean guy, I like the smell and the salt, but nonetheless the Great Lakes are really quite incredible. Even Hermann Melville in Moby Dick spent a chapter on them.

I just rip on michigan because I lived in Detroit and hated it, but the time I spent up north in the UP and around traverse city made me really appreciate the state.

I live by the Sleeping Bear Dunes, the whole area is great and we get some of the highest amounts of snow around besides the UP in the midwest. Which is why I can ride a bit later in the year. I also do some snow farming to keep some snow around as late as possible. For sandboarding, you should use formica as a base, it's hard and slick and works fairly well. Anyways, I usually hit Hood up in the summer and use to do a bit of work in Austria so I could hit the glaciers there in the summer. For me, it's almost the same price to go ride in europe as it is to ride at Hood in the summer, even with airline tickets.

In Washington, there are areas to ride on Rainier, Adams, any of the volcanoes as well as the ice caves by mountain loop highway. It's a 20min hike(flat) from the parking lot...but you better bring a rake since the snow is pretty poor. I've ridden there in august/september. There are huge cliffs above and the snow avalanches to this area all winter, the sun can't hit this area so the snow stays year round. Worth seeing regardless if you are just going for a quick hike.

Some interesting ideas for Patrick in the above post, particularly this one:
it's almost the same price to go ride in Europe as it is to ride at Hood in the summer, even with airline tickets.
Which would minimize his "kitchen issues" with family there.

I'm surprised that they let you climb and play on the dunes. All the dunes on Cape Cod are off limits.
That's a rare policy IMHO. Keeping dune buggies out is one thing (they are permitted at Oceana Dunes south of Pismo Beach) but I've been on them on foot in Death Valley and White Sands, plus the Egypt and China trips.

jasoncapecod":1i0vp78n said:
I'm surprised that they let you climb and play on the dunes. All the dunes on Cape Cod are off limits.

These dunes are on a much more massive scale than those on cape cod. Many of them are 400 to 500 feet tall. They also go from the shore to about 2 or 3 miles inland. They are more like a platue of sand than just dunes. It can literally take an hour and a half to hike from one side of the dunes to the next. You should think of some of the western NY ski resorts in terms of terrain. I downloaded a picture from online, but they hardly do it justice in terms of scale.
1200941543empirebluff715.jpg

Tony Crocker":3i95z8gg said:
Some interesting ideas for Patrick in the above post, particularly this one:
it's almost the same price to go ride in Europe as it is to ride at Hood in the summer, even with airline tickets.
Which would minimize his "kitchen issues" with family there.

Timberline is a history place in a classic setting, however...

I've said it once (maybe it was on ZS or people that asked me) and I'll say it again. A trip to Timberline/Mt. Hood is interesting once (if you have to fly there), but it absolutely has to be combine with a general vacation (as we did). I did it once, there is no huge desire in my part for a repeat trip in the near future.

France and other European glaciers has been on the list with a combine family vacation, however wife's job and scheduling nixed this plan for this summer.

Other places high on the Summer list: Iceland, Middle Earth and America Del Sur (regardless of what happened to me - I might simply forget about BA + I need to get back and retake those amazing pics I did this year ](*,) ). There is also a couple of places I want to revisit.

jamesdeluxe, thanks for the picture comment, I get lucky and take a good shot once in a while, or maybe in the world of digital I can shoot 1,000's of pictures and figure one might be good lol

rfarren I didnt know you lived in Detroit at one time, I don't know many people who ever lived IN the city and enjoyed it.
The burbs are okay. Sleeping bear dunes are really awesome, I love all the lake Michigan shore line, lots of beach towns and dunes to play in.

Patrick those looked like some nice turns on them dunes =D>

mikesathome":1erm4mks said:
jamesdeluxe, thanks for the picture comment, I get lucky and take a good shot once in a while, or maybe in the world of digital I can shoot 1,000's of pictures and figure one might be good lol

rfarren I didnt know you lived in Detroit at one time, I don't know many people who ever lived IN the city and enjoyed it.
The burbs are okay. Sleeping bear dunes are really awesome, I love all the lake Michigan shore line, lots of beach towns and dunes to play in.

mikesathome":1erm4mks said:
Patrick those looked like some nice turns on them dunes =D>

I also like your picture with the great view of the, um dunes. :mrgreen:

Yeah, we saw them, the dunes, the previous year (2004) during a trip that brought us to Windsor, Point Pelee and the part of the Western of the Lake Erie shoreline. Definitely wanted to ski them. Just did a Google on distance, it's 247km (3:14) from Detroit to the campground where the "tallest" sand dune in Ontario is located. :wink:

mikesathome":2pesufxy said:
The burbs are okay.

The city was bad, but I also lived in burbs, and I didn't much like that either. I've spent more time in Michigan than any other state other than Indiana, where I went to school, and NY where I live now and was raised. I love the Northern part of the state (although, I wasn't much impressed by Mackinaw Island) but the southern portion of the state just doesn't do it for me.

I've always wondered where you could ski in summer... but I'm wondering now if any of these places that you mention still actually have decent snow? I wouldn't want to go if there are just the last patches left. I'm also curious to know how the skiing is in south america, that one place I have yet to visit

Back