Some off-season stoke

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This is the time of year when ski movie trailers start flooding in. Last season, the debut from Colorado's Sweetgrass Productions, Hand Cut really impressed me for its artistic cinematography and folk/roots rock soundtrack.

This year's sophomore effort from Sweetgrass was filmed last winter entirely in Niseko and it appears to be equally impressive. Check out the trailer in our SkiTube section:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/Video/ ... ideoid/148

Tony, you have skied all over the world. why not Japan ?...from the pictures and reports I've seen, Japan might be the powder capital of the world..

jasoncapecod":235ij5iz said:
Tony, you have skied all over the world. why not Japan ?...from the pictures and reports I've seen might be the powder capital of the world..

If I remember the "To Do list"...there was something like ski in every continents. Tony is only 4 out of 7. That is barely a passing grade. :stir: :mrgreen: Plus his list of Southern American, European and Eastern North America ski areas is pretty poor. :lol: So Jason, you might want to re-phrase that as he skied mostly all over Western North American and a few times outside. :snowball fight:

from the pictures and reports I've seen, Japan might be the powder capital of the world..
I have 7 years of stats from Niseko (monthly reports can be referenced at the bottom of the page http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/niseko-now.php).
Average snowfall:
Nov 58
Dec 150
Jan 158
Feb 112
Mar 76
Apr 7
Total 560 inches
Altitude range is 1,000 - 4,000, contributing to that concentration mid-winter. Extremely Canadian runs a trip there that I was considering last year. But they are expensive and I've overrun my vacation time this year. The deep snowpack does keep the area open until early May, but if you want the powder best to stick to mid-winter.

I have not compiled snow stats from the Honshu area around Nagano, but they are not in the same ballpark. The Siberia/Sea of Japan "lake effect" is limited to Hokkaido and the far northern part of Honshu.

My Southern Hemisphere list covers most of the important places, but I have a lot of work to do in Europe. As I've mentioned before, any further skiing in the Northeast will need to be subsidized to be worth the expense. But NASJA will presumably do that every 5-6 years.

My friend Mike Richards is now in his third or fourth season in Japan.

he had skied in Utah for a couple seasons and thought that was unbeatable until he went to Japan by all accounts.

An excellent read, here is last seasons report.

Hokkaido Snow 2008/09

Back