Greenland.

rfarren

I just came back from a two week vacation in Ireland and London. On the flight back we flew over Greenland. Sadly I didn't have a camera, but if there was ever place to do hele-skiing that would be it! There was snow on the mountains, and the mountains didn't seem trivial at all. It can't be any further to get to from the East coast than out west. Anyone ever heard about skiing over there?

On a side note, we flew directly over the Gaspesie peninsula. I've seen pictures of that area in the winter (Snowy and above tree line mountains), but in the summer it as green as Ireland. It might barely be as populated as Greenland.

rfarren":v0p2j98o said:
On the flight back we flew over Greenland. Sadly I didn't have a camera, but if there was ever place to do hele-skiing that would be it! There was snow on the mountains, and the mountains didn't seem trivial at all. It can't be any further to get to from the East coast than out west. Anyone ever heard about skiing over there?
8500 Euro's for a week of heli-ski (that of course is in addition to whatever it takes to get to Greenland):
http://www.greenlandheliskiing.com/Greenland_Heli_Skiing.html

There's also http://lmgtfy.com/?q=greenland+skiing

Indeed that is pricey. What annoys me is that you have to fly to copenhagen first in order to fly back to greenland. It's a shame it's so pricey, the skiing would certainly be excellent. Furthermore, if there were direct flights from the EC it would take about 3 hours to get there. Pity... It would be nice to ski this:
shapeimage_3.png

BTW, from it seemed that snowy now... at the end of August. Theoretically, you could do your summer skiing there, and avoid the 10 hour flight to South America.

The snow may be there in August but the surface conditions may not be ideal. Also, more crevasses may be exposed on the glaciers. I'm not surprised at all by the April and May dates of the heliskiing. Similar timing, terrain and conditions as the heliskiing we have occasionally heard about on Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula from what I can see.

I would never assume that heliskiing in exotic locations will be a bargain vs. at home. Not to say I wouldn't consider it, but diligent research, comparisons with Alaska and Canada are appropriate before making such a major commitment.

Tony Crocker":3vmnpjeb said:
I would never assume that heliskiing in exotic locations will be a bargain vs. at home.
Often times one of the reasons some locale is "exotic" is precisely because of the significant effort (cost) involved in getting there.

Back