Pre-Season rituals...

rfarren

So it is now september, and if you're like me you are now aware that the ski season is fast approaching. After last years dismal season, lost vacations (thank you surgery and subsequent crohn's disease), and lack of funds, I'm really excited about the upcoming season. Normally, I stay fit all year round by playing soccer competitively, walking 6-8 miles a day, and biking. I still play soccer, but I know my body still hasn't completely recovered from last january's surgery! I realised that first at 10,000 feet in Vail where I couldn't go more than 200 vertical feet at a time without catching my breath on a powder day last march. And even now, while playing soccer I have a real hard time getting back on defense quickly. This may be the first season where it is necessary to start a ski-specific regiment of excercises to get ready for the oncoming season. I plan on stepping up the number of miles biked per day, and doing wall squats. I was wondering what you guys do to get ready for the season, or if anyone had any suggestions to add to my routine.

i haven't played myself for a long time, but soccer is excellent training, so good that national ski team members are encouraged play some in the off season: obvious aerobics, lots of lateral movement. If you restore your soccer playing to its previous level, it's hard to imagine you won't be fine for skiing.

An exercise that you do regularly and enjoy is better than one precisely designed but done only intermittently.

The problem is that my legs are still 1/2 the size of what they were. I think I may very well need leg specific excercises.

Exercise is now a daily ritual....drifted off for days..here & there for a few months over the summer, but am now back on a steady diet of balance, aerobic, and strength stuff... Man...soccer would be a great addition, miss it....would be interesting to get something going around town...especially for us geezers.

steved

Spend the off season cycling , running , hiking , canoeing , weight training and tossing around the football . Haven't a clue if any of the these help out with skiing but what the heck. By late October early November work on clearing brush out for some local hike and ski trails . Leaves are starting to change countdown is on.

Back